ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I apply BC while out of UK? (urgent for today)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mori24
Newly Registered
United States of America

Can I apply BC while out of UK? (urgent for today)

Post by mori24 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:39 am

Hi all,

1. I am currently outside UK flying back tomorrow. Can I apply today (online), as tomorrow will be date that I was out 5 years ago. I plan to go to document copying service within 10 days

A few more questions:

2. As such what do I write about my return date (form allowing me to write tomorrow's date. In theory flight could be cancelled etc. Happy to write this issue in the notes)

3. I changed my name through marriage before coming to UK as immigrant, but was in UK as tourist before that so do I say YES to have I ever entered UK on that name?

4. My mother was Born in Morrocco and left at age of a few weeks (she's in her 60s now) she does not know if she was a citizen there. what do I write on 'other' citizenship for my mother

5. My children are BC what do I write on dependants not applying with me (they are not my immigration dependants but still my real life dependants...)

6. Do I need to write my jobs past ten years BEFORE coming to UK?

7. I had a driving penalty (yellow line junction) immediately paid it and no points, do I have to declare?

8. If I apply by midnight UK online today, it is today's date for application?

many thanks for answers on these questions.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Can I apply BC while out of UK? (urgent for today)

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:45 am

Any particular reason you cannot wait just a couple of days and apply when you are back??

Date of application is the date you apply and pay online as far as I understand.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

muraenidae

Post by muraenidae » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:56 am

I think you can apply from abroad - you only have to have been present on the day exactly 5 years before your application, not the day of yoru application.

But is there a good reason why you absolutely need to apply today? How long were you away 5 years ago, could you just wait a few days or weeks and apply then? Because it would be much easier to just wait.

1) If you apply from abroad, you might trigger closer scrutiny to your application. This might delay your application, making you wait for months for a decision.

2) As you've already observed, it's not clear what you would put as your return date for your current trip.

mori24
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by mori24 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:09 am

Thank you warmly CRoo1 and muraendie.

only reason is because I booked the copy service already. (and I am coming back late because of illness, this was not planned this way)

I guess losing the 60£ booking fee is not such big deal.

may I ask for answers to other questions?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:23 am

You can still utilise your appointment at NDRS if you apply online when you are back.

You don't state the date you NDRS appointment is though??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mori24
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by mori24 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:16 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:23 am
You can still utilise your appointment at NDRS if you apply online when you are back.

You don't state the date you NDRS appointment is though??
I now have to delay BC application for the 5 year rule and miss the NDRS appointment. Thankfully my trip 5 years ago was short vacation only.

I think my main question is do I have to put my jobs from before I moved to the UK and what do they mean on dependants not applying with me?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:37 pm

Only jobs relevant to your time in the UK. There is an "or however long if less" in the question about jobs.

Dependent means any you have even if not applying with you, ie children.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

muraenidae

Post by muraenidae » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:55 pm

Can you reschedule the appointment? They might let you do that without losing the 60 pounds.

mori24
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by mori24 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:48 am

I have 3 more questions (and real thanks to this forum for support)

1. The referee signature page (where u attach photos) I thought it would come out already populated with my name and referee's name. it does not, it is empty and generic. Am I doing something wrong?

2. I have 33 trips abroad but system only accepts 30 (funny for an online system) so just attach the rest to package sent in via NDRS?

3. How do I go about applying for passport at the same time as online BC application

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:14 pm

1. The referee signature page (where u attach photos) I thought it would come out already populated with my name and referee's name. it does not, it is empty and generic. Am I doing something wrong?
You need to complete the referee part of the form online as far as I understand, including your referee details. They only sign the page(s).
2. I have 33 trips abroad but system only accepts 30 (funny for an online system) so just attach the rest to package sent in via NDRS?
Excel spreadsheet and attach.
3. How do I go about applying for passport at the same time as online BC application
You complete the paper passport form and submit it with the payment slip at your appointment.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

mori24
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by mori24 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:20 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:14 pm
You need to complete the referee part of the form online as far as I understand, including your referee details. They only sign the page(s).

Thx CR001,

I did that and the actual form that comes out and has the rectangle to affix photo is two pages long. I have to handwrite my name and then referee needs to handwrite name/signature/date.

This does not make sense to me an online form should already populate my name, referee name etc, so just wanted to validate I got it right.

Twine
United Kingdom

Post by Twine » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:50 pm

mori24 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:20 pm
CR001 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:14 pm

Thx CR001,

I did that and the actual form that comes out and has the rectangle to affix photo is two pages long. I have to handwrite my name and then referee needs to handwrite name/signature/date.

This does not make sense to me an online form should already populate my name, referee name etc, so just wanted to validate I got it right.
What you have got is correct. I applied using the online form last month and the pdf that you get for the referees is completely unpopulated. A bit silly given that you would have already input the data ...but you and your referees will need to print off the forms, fill them out and sign accordingly.

It all confused me, so I ended up giving copies of the 'old paper form' to my referees to fill out and sign and included those as part of my document submission with the council (JCAP). But ideally you should print off the online form and get your referees to fill out their details and sign the page before submitting your online application as per the link.

Hope this helps.

mori24
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by mori24 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:06 pm

very helpful and yes, silly. For example I am asked how long and how I know referree and this form does not allow referee to confirm this data...

Twine
United Kingdom

Post by Twine » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:17 pm

mori24 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:06 pm
very helpful and yes, silly. For example I am asked how long and how I know referree and this form does not allow referee to confirm this data...
Yes ...the online questions are more involved than the information requested on the pdf form at the end. :? Bit of a Home Office beta-testing fail. You are probably best served by inputting random characters just to complete the initial section. For example:

Referee Name: John Smith / Address: 123 Maple Drive / Postcode: AB12 3YZ / et cetera...

Then continue with the rest of the form accurately, tick the declarations and finally print the blank referee forms. Once they are filled and signed you can go back to the online portal and correctly add the information before paying and submitting.

mori24
Newly Registered
United States of America

Passport form questions

Post by mori24 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:35 am

Passport Question:

In the paper form it asks (section 5) if I have a certificate of naturalisation. Do I just not answer this (rather than answer no)

How do I pay for this passport application.

What is the advantage of applying for PP along with BC rather then getting BC and then applying?

Twine
United Kingdom

Post by Twine » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:02 am

mori24 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:35 am
Passport Question:

In the paper form it asks (section 5) if I have a certificate of naturalisation. Do I just not answer this (rather than answer no)
If you do a joint citizenship and passport application then you do NOT need to answer Section 5 in the passport form. Applicants should complete sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 (if applicable) and 9 of the passport application form. They do not need to complete section 10 nor have the 2 photographs certified. Details of referees will be collected as part of the citizenship application.

mori24 wrote:
How do I pay for this passport application.
You fill in your debit card details and the fee is taken by the Passport Office.

mori24 wrote:
What is the advantage of applying for PP along with BC rather then getting BC and then applying?
Applying for both at the same time means you do not have to get an additional set of references and photographs. You are also required to fill out fewer sections of the passport form and will receive the passport about two weeks after your citizenship ceremony. I am pro-JCAP but you are welcome to do the applications separately.