ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When you apply for extension

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mali167
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Test spouses need to pass after 2.5 years

Post by mali167 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:15 pm

My wife's in Pakistan. I have applied for her visa and will hear back in a month's time hopefully.

Once they're here on visa and then need to reapply after 2.5 years or however long, they need to pass a certain test. Could someone pleae tell me exactly what it's called?

I just want to help her prepare for it once she's here so when the time comes, we don't have to worry too much.

Thanks.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Test spouses need to pass after 2.5 years

Post by seagul » Tue May 01, 2018 8:21 pm

You shouldn't think about it now because you have already applied and rules are changing so frequently and most probably there might be new level/types of English language be invented at visa renewal stage. For still for your information if you have passed B1 level test then it will be accepted for renewal and ILR stage if by miracle everything remains unchanged.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue May 01, 2018 10:07 pm

mali167 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:15 pm
My wife's in Pakistan. I have applied for her visa and will hear back in a month's time hopefully.

Once they're here on visa and then need to reapply after 2.5 years or however long, they need to pass a certain test. Could someone pleae tell me exactly what it's called?

I just want to help her prepare for it once she's here so when the time comes, we don't have to worry too much.

Thanks.
Very wise to prepare. Under current requirements, A2 level English will qualify for FLR(M) and B1 level + the Life in the UK test for SET(M).
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

mali167
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by mali167 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:31 pm

Thanks for all your help. I understand that it might change but if she's already preparing for it then would make it easier later on. :)

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Thu May 03, 2018 12:25 am

Non-English partner once arrive UK then its English practice start itself especially relating to listening and speaking (the same two modules are usually tested in A1 & A2 even B1 level). :P :lol:
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

mali167
Newly Registered
Pakistan

When you apply for extension

Post by mali167 » Fri May 18, 2018 12:10 pm

When the 2 years 9 months visa for your spouse is close to expiry, when's the latest you can apply please for extension?

As in, can it be 3 months before expiry?

And is the waiting time the same as 12 weeks? Also, do they have priority/non priority in that case as well?

Thanks. :D

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: When you apply for extension

Post by CR001 » Fri May 18, 2018 12:24 pm

mali167 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:10 pm
When the 2 years 9 months visa for your spouse is close to expiry, when's the latest you can apply please for extension? Usually no sooner than within 28 days before reaching 2.5 years residence, counted from the date of ENTRY to the UK.

As in, can it be 3 months before expiry? It all depends on when she enters the UK. If you apply for an extension too early, you will end up with a shortfall for ILR and will need a 3rd spouse visa extension to cover a couple of months.

And is the waiting time the same as 12 weeks? Also, do they have priority/non priority in that case as well? You can apply in person for a same day decision when you apply for an extension.

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mali167
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Re: When you apply for extension

Post by mali167 » Fri May 18, 2018 12:36 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:24 pm
mali167 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:10 pm
When the 2 years 9 months visa for your spouse is close to expiry, when's the latest you can apply please for extension? Usually no sooner than within 28 days before reaching 2.5 years residence, counted from the date of ENTRY to the UK.

As in, can it be 3 months before expiry? It all depends on when she enters the UK. If you apply for an extension too early, you will end up with a shortfall for ILR and will need a 3rd spouse visa extension to cover a couple of months.

And is the waiting time the same as 12 weeks? Also, do they have priority/non priority in that case as well? You can apply in person for a same day decision when you apply for an extension.

Thank you very much.