ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

canadian citizenship question

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

should all persons born in canada still alive be canadians retroactively?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:30 am

should anyone who was born in the first generation to anyone born in canada also be a canadian?
No votes
should anyone born to canadian by descent also be a canadian?
100%

Total votes: 1

infocat13
Newly Registered

canadian citizenship question

Post by infocat13 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:15 pm

Am I a commonwealth citizen for a UK ancestry permit?
This may be a post that belongs over in the Canada forum. The facts..............

(1) My maternal grandfather is born in London in 1901 he moves to Vancouver BC Canada after serving with his father with the Canadian military during world war 1.
(2) my mother is born in Vancouver BC 1n the 1930's
(3) She and my grandfather became naturalized US citizens in 1943
Before the first Canadian citizenship act. Both of them are under the British nationality act in force at the time.
(4)I was born in 1958 long before the 1977 Canadian citizenship act.
(5)I applied before the 2004 deadline with citizenship Canada for a citizenship determination and I was turned down “your mother was not a citizen at the time of your birth" “however she may resume hers if she wishes “(section 5 I think)
Therefore, we are before the time of the lost Canadians (pre 1948 Canada citizenship act)
It appears the new 2008 lost canadians canada citizen act will not help pre 1948 canadians who lost citizenship
In addition, I think they (I?) lost our British subject statues as well.
but I am not sure I found your article,

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2007-12- ... adians.htm

this, "Anyone who was born in Canada or who became a Canadian on or after 01 January, 1947, and who then lost their citizenship, would have their status reinstated"
I love the operative word OR here my mom was born before 1947 and naturlized as a minor in america ummmm I am her first generation so law takes effect in a year yes?
I will reopen my 2003 case with citizenship canada soon I think :D

the act,
http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublication ... 029&file=4

Notice section Q (3) If you applied before 2004 for canadian citizen by descent or failed to do so well and your parent is restored to citizenship by this act you are a canadian

Update.........1 May 2008
This URL from the Canadian parliament legal analyst suggests that someone born in Canada as a British subject before 1947 and who lost her citizenship before 1947 will not regain her citizenship.(my mother)
http://www.parl.gc.ca/common/bills_ls.a ... etroactive
see note "29" on the this opinion.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Mon May 05, 2008 5:03 am

As far as I can tell they are not proposing to "fix" the situation for those Canadians who lost British nationality prior to 1947 (and hence never became Canadian citizens in the first place).

infocat13
Newly Registered

Post by infocat13 » Fri May 30, 2008 3:43 am

JAJ wrote:As far as I can tell they are not proposing to "fix" the situation for those Canadians who lost British nationality prior to 1947 (and hence never became Canadian citizens in the first place).

JAJ, I believe your are right, the statement "or where born in canada" is in a citizenship canada press release.confusion here.I have a MP out of vancouver BC helping me, maybe I can beg for a work permit if I am denied again.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat May 31, 2008 5:10 pm

Also discussed on another thread. This one closed.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=21233