ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Workpermit and Business

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

teekay_tk

Workpermit and Business

Post by teekay_tk » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:34 pm

Hello all
Are workpermit holders allowed to setup a part-time business or enter into another job (part-time)?

Regards

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:19 am

I don't think you can set up any business, but you can take up part-time employment if it is similar to the job you already do.

teekay_tk

Post by teekay_tk » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:25 am

thanks

is there any reference to this on the BIA website. i tried to find it for my own record but couldnt. can you please help.

WoodieG
BANNED

Post by WoodieG » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:22 pm

Last edited by WoodieG on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teekay_tk

Post by teekay_tk » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:23 pm

thanks to all

riteshprk
Newly Registered

Post by riteshprk » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:23 pm

sakura wrote:I don't think you can set up any business, but you can take up part-time employment if it is similar to the job you already do.
You can't do any part time job for another employer. I have send my same query to home office and got reply which as below:

Dear Mr. R,

A work permit holder must only take up the employment that was approved by Work Permits UK (as stated in their work permit) and as such cannot take up supplementary work for another employer who has not provided a work permit. If an overseas national with leave to remain wished to change his employer within the UK, then the new prospective employer would have to submit a new work permit application on behalf of the OSN, who would then have to apply for further leave to remain in line with the new permit.

If you are talking about a situation whereby an overseas national is employed by a company on a work permit and is then required to work for a subsidiary company, then it is likely that this would need to have been mentioned in the original work permit application. For example, an applicant who is employed by an NHS Trust may have their employed at address listed as 'any hospital within the employing NHS trust', or an applicant who works in a care home may have 'At any (insert company) care homes'.

Working for an employer other than that stated on the work permit may adversely effect any future applications for leave to remain and you could be seen to have breach the conditions of your stay for a work permit holder - 'Work (and any changes) must be authorised by the secretary of state'.

I hope this answers your query in full.

Regards

WPLTR1

Hope your doubt is clear now.

regards,
riteshprk

teekay_tk

Post by teekay_tk » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:12 pm

pleas do have a look at http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... de0408.pdf

para 148

it is saying that you can work with another employer.. i think Home office is confused and doesnt know so at one place they say you can work and at other place they say you cant. any way i think its better to be safe than sorry