ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changing Dependant to HSMP( Tier 1 General)

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Priya Selvaraj
Newly Registered

Changing Dependant to HSMP( Tier 1 General)

Post by Priya Selvaraj » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:40 pm

Hi All,

I am working in UK for an Year now with Dependant Visa. My husband has a work permit which is valid until 2012 and I am dependant to him. We both have been in UK since August 2005.

Now I am eligible for a HSMP(Tier 1 General). If I get an HSMP, will my stay in UK as a dependant visa holder since August 2005 till april 2008 be counted in the 5 years minimum stay for permanent residence visa?

Would appreciate an earliest possible reply.

Thanks
Priya

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:08 pm

Unfortunately, if you change (by applying for entry clearance) to Tier 1 (General) highly skilled workers, then I believe that previous time spent as a dependant will not count towards settlement.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

n_sharma50

Post by n_sharma50 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:33 pm

You should be able to use ur time as dependent.
Dependants
Partners of Tier 1 (General) - highly skilled worker migrants are eligible to apply for settlement at the same time as the migrant, provided they have lived with their partners in the United Kingdom for a minimum of two years before applying for settlement.
[/b]

hsmpinuk70
Member of Standing

Re: Changing Dependant to HSMP( Tier 1 General)

Post by hsmpinuk70 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:17 pm

As a dependent you do not qualify for ILR in your own right. As a dependent your ILR will depend on the fact that your husband qualifies for ILR and, as the OP has mentioned, that you have lived with your spouse as a dependent for 2 years minimum.

If you switch to Tier 1, your 5-year ILR clock will start from the day you are granted leave to remain under Tier 1.

regards
Priya Selvaraj wrote:Hi All,

I am working in UK for an Year now with Dependant Visa. My husband has a work permit which is valid until 2012 and I am dependant to him. We both have been in UK since August 2005.

Now I am eligible for a HSMP(Tier 1 General). If I get an HSMP, will my stay in UK as a dependant visa holder since August 2005 till april 2008 be counted in the 5 years minimum stay for permanent residence visa?

Would appreciate an earliest possible reply.

Thanks
Priya

yewhongwei79

Post by yewhongwei79 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:07 pm

Hi, If I would like to change from WP to Tier 1, after 2 years of stay in UK on WP, my 2 years before applying Tier 1 is not wasted and will be counted into the 5 years ILR application, right?

"You must complete a continuous period of five years in the United Kingdom before you can apply for settlement, and you must meet all the requirements of the immigration rules before you are eligible to apply.

Under the rules, to satisfy the five-year qualifying period for settlement under this category, you may include any periods of leave under any of the following immigration categories that immediately precede your time here under Tier 1 (General) - highly skilled worker."

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... ettlement/

hsmpinuk70
Member of Standing

Post by hsmpinuk70 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:23 am

yewhongwei79 wrote:Hi, If I would like to change from WP to Tier 1, after 2 years of stay in UK on WP, my 2 years before applying Tier 1 is not wasted and will be counted into the 5 years ILR application, right?
Yes !!