ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 Visa extension and ILR application

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

underfire222

Tier 2 Visa extension and ILR application

Post by underfire222 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:36 am

Hello Friends,

I just have a few questions about tier 2 visa extensions and applying for ILR.

Just a bit about my background:

I came to UK on tier 2 visa on 22/4/15
Date of eligibilty for ILR : 22/4/2020 (5 years later)
Max stay date on my Tier 2 would be 22/4/2021 (6 years later)

I am currently on a 2 year job and my visa expires on 15/8/2019, which is about 8 Month away from being eligible to ILR.

My Questions:

1: When extending my Visa in next year in 8/19, my understanding is you can extend up to a maximum of 6 years total stay (for me up to 22/4/2021). Can I extend my visa for a year and 6 months (18 months) which is still with in my 6 year max stay? Or are the extensions only limited to yearly blocks? For me a 2 year extension will not be possible obviously as it will exceed the 6 year limit.

2: If it happens and my next job is for 1 year. When applying for my ILR I will have only about 3 months left on my contract and visa. Will that potentially cause an a problem with my ILR? I understand that you need a letter for your employer stating that they still require you for employment for foreseeable future. is there a certain minimum limit on the number of months you have left on your current job contract when applying for ILR?

Many thanks

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Re: Tier 2 Visa extension and ILR application

Post by cyclina1 » Fri May 11, 2018 2:00 pm

underfire222 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:36 am
Hello Friends,

I just have a few questions about tier 2 visa extensions and applying for ILR.

Just a bit about my background:

I came to UK on tier 2 visa on 22/4/15
Date of eligibilty for ILR : 22/4/2020 (5 years later)
Max stay date on my Tier 2 would be 22/4/2021 (6 years later)

I am currently on a 2 year job and my visa expires on 15/8/2019, which is about 8 Month away from being eligible to ILR.

My Questions:

1: When extending my Visa in next year in 8/19, my understanding is you can extend up to a maximum of 6 years total stay (for me up to 22/4/2021). Can I extend my visa for a year and 6 months (18 months) which is still with in my 6 year max stay? Or are the extensions only limited to yearly blocks? For me a 2 year extension will not be possible obviously as it will exceed the 6 year limit.

The HO will grant you the extension according to your contract. Usually the contract end date plus 14 days. No yearly blocks.

2: If it happens and my next job is for 1 year. When applying for my ILR I will have only about 3 months left on my contract and visa. Will that potentially cause an a problem with my ILR? I understand that you need a letter for your employer stating that they still require you for employment for foreseeable future. is there a certain minimum limit on the number of months you have left on your current job contract when applying for ILR?

NO problem, no minimum limit. As long as you have letter from employer to support that you are still required in the foreseeable future. Of course the best is you can also have contract renewed, but not

Many thanks
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.

underfire222

Post by underfire222 » Fri May 11, 2018 2:06 pm

Thanks you very much for the reply.

Does the letter have to specifically say 'foreseeable future'. I heard that some employers are very reluctant on writing that phrase and just provide you with a letter stating you are still in employment and needed and mention your end date.

If my employer refuse to write foreseeable future on my letter and just mention my end date, which lets say be 3 months after, can that be grounds for refusal of ILR?

Any one with a similar experience please kindly share.

underfire222

Post by underfire222 » Fri May 11, 2018 2:17 pm

Also as regard the new COS for extension , if the contract is lets say for 2 years, but I only have a year and 9 months left on my tier 2 visa, what will happen to the COS, can it be issued with an end date as the last day of my 6 year tier 2 limit , which will be a year and approx 9 month??

Thanks!

Akorotaeva

Post by Akorotaeva » Fri May 11, 2018 2:43 pm

Yes, my extension was issued to expire exactly 6 years after my first visa was issued.

cracker1234

Post by cracker1234 » Fri May 11, 2018 3:32 pm

Is there any specific format for employer's letter ?

underfire222

Post by underfire222 » Sun May 13, 2018 6:50 pm

Akorotaeva wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 2:43 pm
Yes, my extension was issued to expire exactly 6 years after my first visa was issued.
Thanks for the reply.

Can I just ask was the end date on you COS the same as the last day of your 6 years limit?

Akorotaeva

Post by Akorotaeva » Sun May 13, 2018 8:58 pm

I think the COS end date was the day before 6 year anniversary.