ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Job for HSMP holder in non IT sector

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kmehta

Job for HSMP holder in non IT sector

Post by kmehta » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:15 pm

I have HSMP visa and m already in UK, looking for job since last 1.5 months. Able to qualify for 3 interviews. But as not having UK experience, not selected finally. I have 6 years strong telecom experience and was working with one of the best MNC in telecom sector. I want to know how many HSMP holder got the job in their field specially in non IT sector and in how much time?

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:13 am

It took me just 2.5 years to get job in my field. Till thent what I was doing don't ask. I didn't approach the job market correctly you can say.
I suggest if you are from a non IT field, you must have had experience from previous job in your home country. Say for instance you worked as a service engineer repairing CT scaneer. Then appraoch the companies in uk that manufacture ct scan or have agencies of ct scan. And try to see if your type of job requires a driving licence. My job required a driving licence so I had to work 6 months for that.

daisy_ktm
BANNED

Post by daisy_ktm » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:26 pm

FRIENDS,

NO JOB HERE..LETS BE CLEAR...GO BACK TO HOME COUNTRY REQUEST PREVIOUS HR MANAGER TO GIVE BACK INDIAN JOB.I THINK THATS THE ONLY WAY...

THINK TWICE OR THEICW BEFORE QUITING YOUR JOBS...1000S OF HSMP
HOLDERS STARTED WORKING IN SUPER MARKETS & COFEEE SHOPS..
I KNOW AT LEAST 10 OF MY FRIENDS IN COFEE SHOPS, CLEANING TABLES. THEY ARE FIGHTING FOR THAT JOB WITH EASTERN EUROPIANS WHO GOT A DEFINITE EDGE OVER INDIANS..

SO EVEN THAT IS NOT EASY

NO IT JOB HERE AT ALL..

hsmp_1476

Post by hsmp_1476 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:16 pm

daisy_ktm wrote:FRIENDS,

NO JOB HERE..LETS BE CLEAR...GO BACK TO HOME COUNTRY REQUEST PREVIOUS HR MANAGER TO GIVE BACK INDIAN JOB.I THINK THATS THE ONLY WAY...

I KNOW AT LEAST 10 OF MY FRIENDS IN COFEE SHOPS, CLEANING TABLES. THEY ARE FIGHTING FOR THAT JOB WITH EASTERN EUROPIANS WHO GOT A DEFINITE EDGE OVER INDIANS..

SO EVEN THAT IS NOT EASY

NO IT JOB HERE AT ALL..

Dude, you seem to be totally frustrated. Why are you pasting this content in all the posts? I have been reading most of the topics and last one is always this. Insted of wasting your time this way, you could have utilised it in a better way.

You could have opened a new thread to communicate your thoughts.

I sincerely hope that you get the job you are looking for.

Vikram
Citizenship applied on 13th Oct @ NCS Wandsworth...

kmehta

Post by kmehta » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:37 pm

thanks herts for reply.

fortunately i got job in my sector, one of leading uk telecom company. between my wife is also able to secure job in london.

i should say it is matter of hard work and luck to get job in your own field.

netacct

Post by netacct » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:58 pm

I just simply don't understand what huge difference this UK experience makes? I see so many candidates saying that.

In my opinion, candidate is either good or not so good irrespective of UK exp.

There could be so many good candidates without UK exp and not so good candidates with UK exp.

yewhongwei79

Post by yewhongwei79 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:04 pm

I agree! That's exactly something I just don't understand! The so called "UK Experience" requirements has disappointed so many people who are rich of experience but non-UK ones.

Huzain81
Newly Registered

Post by Huzain81 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:21 am

Hi,
I pity our decision of choosing UK on HSMP. The other side of the grass is always green. I am seriously disappointed. Considering that I may do something good for my family and friends I choose this place but today I am hoping those of my friends and relatives to help me in every way. Daily I spend 8 to 10 hours online applying for various job opportunities with zero results. At times I think AA Ab laut chale but who would clear the ____ ? Hope you got wat i mean to say. I use to direct the Directors of big MNC and now an illiterate person in a supermarket directs me to clean the bathroom after the shift. Added to that these guys say.... a job is a job... watever it might be. My sincerely advice to people who did not start the resignation process in India would be to tear of your passport and better stay jobless. A jobless in India is 100 times better than employed in UK. Hope you may take it extremely seriously. Therefore, conclusion for ..... is explained..... if you understand i would consider it to be a a task that I had achieved for getting into heaven. If you dont... then you get ready to join me in Hell. Welcome

netacct

Post by netacct » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:28 am

I understand your situation but there can not be growth without a calculated risk. There are always success and failure stories. Some people get a good job very quickly and some people take it bit longer.

I am working in UK since last 4.5 years and it took 3 to 4 months to get a descent offer in IT.

Don't be disappointed and I am sure your will get a descent job, it might just take a bit while.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:43 am

I got the job (in my field )in the first week after i landed (i had started to apply while in India)...But after a year of working in UK, when i look back,my savings is more or less same as India..reason being UK is very expensive....So i am planning to go back to India..Not bcoz of job as job is pretty good, but my main objective is not being met..

So before coming to UK,get your objectives/priorites correct (money/quality of life/over seas exp )..

yewhongwei79

Post by yewhongwei79 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:20 pm

My advice to all those who are keen to apply HSMP - it is a very big risk to resign your good job back in home country and come to UK with HSMP without any job offer. At the first glance, HSMP allows you to come to UK even without a job sounds alluring, but UK gov is not responsible if you do not have luck to find a job in UK, yet they have charged you 750 pounds at least, for the application.

When you are in UK without job offer, for survival, you will be forced to accept a lower level job (you are lucky if it is related to your field) and work up the ladder slowly. It is possible too you have to accept any job such as in MacD, KFC, Pizza Hut, Post Office, etc because the cost of living in UK forces you to do so.

For those who have come to UK, I salute you all for the courage and all the best in the future! Cheers!

kmehta

Post by kmehta » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:49 pm

Its fact that many consultants/Companies are looking for prior UK experience. I am vicitim of the same thing for very good two companies in my field.
I also want to advice to people that if you are earning reasonable good amount in home country with good position in company then please think twice atleast before resigning. Everyone is not lucky enough to get job in their own field in short time especially non IT sector.
I have got job in my field with compromising in location and position as I prefer to do job in my field rahter than working in subway, mcdonald,.....

surajitk
Newly Registered

Post by surajitk » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:09 pm

No doubt the picture is very green at the other end; but one needs to realize that the working culture and the working environment are completely different and is unimaginable.
I would disagree upon the fact of the EU ppl getting a chance over Indians; these people only look at you skill and the most important the presentation.

On a average one would take easily 2-3 months to get a job; the reason being

First: Update your CV in an legitimate format you can compile you CV running into 5-6 pages and make it a book.
Second: Keep posting to adverts
Third: Its takes at least 3-4 weeks for your CV to penetrate into the recruitment arena
Fourth: That’s when you will start getting calls but don’t u expect miracle [its already one month now]
Fifth: Recruiters and consultants will call you and talk to u and get more details cox your CV is not that details as par the UK market; I suggest note those point and start modifying you CV where ppl should call you not to take infos but rather fix you a interview. [1-2 weeks]
Sixth: Now I assume u have a well verbose CV and that when you start getting proper calls for interview and all that doesn’t mean you stop applying you the adverts keep doing that.
Seventh: You get a interview fixed about not as par you pay expectation I would highly recommend grab it; use it as a stepping stone. [End of the and 2nd month or mid 3rd month]

You have to settle on the pay and place and may at time the position

Even I had my share of the same guys.
Be patient I am sure all will be good

Let me know if can be any help.

Cheers
Surajt Kar
http://www.rateyourgoal.com

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:02 pm

netacct wrote:I just simply don't understand what huge difference this UK experience makes? I see so many candidates saying that.

In my opinion, candidate is either good or not so good irrespective of UK exp.

There could be so many good candidates without UK exp and not so good candidates with UK exp.
Yes this was a big hurdle for me when I arrived. Although this is the case, the best way to overcome the situation is to accept this mentality. I had to completely remake myself here and pretended to not have any experience so I could start entry level jobs that I was overqualified for. Ultimately I worked my way back to the post that I should have been able to start.
So accept it, step back, reevaluate, work around it and you will be able to enter the job market and get to where you want to be.
Good Luck

vix95
Newly Registered

No Match

Post by vix95 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:17 am

[quote="daisy_ktm"]FRIENDS,

SO EVEN THAT IS NOT EASY

NO IT JOB HERE AT ALL..[/quote]

You are right, East Europeans have surely edge over Indians in cleaning tables & toilets and putting bricks. But are no match to Indian people (on HSMP) whio are far more educated and experienced than east europens.

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:42 pm

You are right, East Europeans have surely edge over Indians in cleaning tables & toilets and putting bricks. But are no match to Indian people (on HSMP) whio are far more educated and experienced than east europens.
Such facial prejudice and mentality doesn't bode well. All migrants including eastern europeans are here to eke out a living and for a better life.

As for your statement:
But are no match to Indian people (on HSMP) whio are far more educated and experienced than east europens.
how are you sure about this? Have you done any survey to prove it?

netacct

Post by netacct » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:23 pm

This is definitely offensive and if you consider yourself educated you should not have used such cheap comments about people of other race/nationalities etc.

It seems that you are getting frustrated for not getting job/good jobs/interview calls or whatever and that is why you are using such cheap comments.

Are you here to clean toilets/table etc that you are competing/complaining about those people who do those jobs?

If you get what you want then everything is good and if you don't get then everything is bad. :evil:

su.harish
Newly Registered

Encourage people guys, don't demoralize,Plzz

Post by su.harish » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:46 am

Hi All, I read the whole thread, one thing I understand, all you guys find it hard to go in UK. Come'n guys, its the case in any field, if you want big, you have to take chance. I know either it can make or break, but see nobody wants to flop there strategy but some times it will. Please share your experience and please don't make suggestions. Its left to the individual what he wants to do?? Don't influence others. It really brings the confidence down. So I request all of you to encourage and stay focused. I am sure you all will place well. God bless you.

ar82un
Newly Registered
India

Regarding UK entry

Post by ar82un » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:06 am

Hi All,

I'm from Pondicherry, India. I've HSMP visa that is valid from 5May2010 for 3 years. I'm an M.Tech Holder in EEE and I've more than 8years of experience in Electronics, Electrical, Embedded and software. I'm presently working for MNC and even I'm very much interested to get a job in UK.
I have gone through many comments given by the people who are in India, UK, people searching for jobs being in India and the Indians who are searching jobs being in UK.

The comments given by guys are really making every one to think a lot. In these blogs, I could realize that there are so many good information about their experience for taking up a job in UK. I appreciate everyone having shared their experiences and there are some negative comments also.

But my request is that you please don’t underestimate yourself (Indian) and pls don’t give bad comments to UK people also. That would spoil the relationship between both the sides. Lets be positive in all, do genuine hard work, and struggle and strive for the existence. I’m providing some of my thoughts on UK entry, point wise.
1. Please think a lot when u a leave a good job in your home country
2. The calculated risks are up to you and you need to have some sufficient pocket money to manage the situation till you get a job (even for 3 or 4months also). This would avoid you to take up very low level jobs in UK and you no need to comment on Europeans.
3. It is highly advisable if you have any friends in UK, get some useful information regarding job guidance and taking accommodation with them till u get a job, etc
4. U need to have good confidence that u will get u a job for which u have to try a lot with more difficulties. U can not get the jobs even in India also, just like that. But without job, u can manage in India, but u can not in UK.

Lets take this discussion not in a argument way, instead it should help for many for their good career path. Best of luck, to all.

Rats
Newly Registered

jobless

Post by Rats » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:39 pm

I am so frustated i feel like banging my head on the walls.Its been 4 months now ,I was so foolish to give CFA Level 2 and then start looking for a job here.I was working with an Investment bank in India in capital markets and here nobody is counting my experience all they want to know is why i have a gap of more than 3 months.It was a crime to get married and move here.I get calls from consultants and then they just dont respond even if you chase them like crazy.....i dont know wts wrong ...........life is hell to get up in morning and have nothing to do.....i never felt so useless ever

Huzain81
Newly Registered

Slow and steady wins the race

Post by Huzain81 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:25 pm

I struggled for good number of years and finally when I got one, this one paid off for all the discomfort i had undergone for so long.
Would suggest or recommend not to lose hope