ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

naturalization based on marriage with naturalized citizen

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jul1
Mood:
Ireland

naturalization based on marriage with naturalized citizen

Post by jul1 » Sat May 12, 2018 12:55 am

The rule says, that u can apply for irish citizenship if u are married to an irish citizen for at least 3 years, but what if we are married for 4 years - yet as non irish - than i got naturalized.

Assuming my spouse is living here for 3 years, after i got the citizenship, can my spouse right away apply for the citizenship too? Or the marriage has to last for 3 years WHILE im irish already.

So is it a requirement that the irish citizen him/herself was naturalised at least 3 years ago?

zvz
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: naturalization based on marriage with naturalized citizen

Post by zvz » Mon May 14, 2018 7:08 pm

Good question, actually. Do not have the answer (consider as "up").

pixie1230

Post by pixie1230 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:08 pm

jul1 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 12:55 am
The rule says, that u can apply for irish citizenship if u are married to an irish citizen for at least 3 years, but what if we are married for 4 years - yet as non irish - than i got naturalized.

Assuming my spouse is living here for 3 years, after i got the citizenship, can my spouse right away apply for the citizenship too? Or the marriage has to last for 3 years WHILE im irish already.

So is it a requirement that the irish citizen him/herself was naturalised at least 3 years ago?

Irish or non irish it doesnt matter as long as you are married for 3 years, irish govt will accept that.

And yes, once u get your irish passport she/he can apply right away. As long you satisfy the criteria.

jul1
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jul1 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:29 pm

cool , that is good news, as planning to do that, im here for 6 years now, i could apply for citizenship any day, im just waiting cause my wife is filipino, she is on stamp 4 eufam, and we travelled already to UK and Spain on that card, so we saved lot a hassle not to apply for UK and Schengen visa, so i want to keep her on that stamp as long as possible

-i guess if i became irish that i will be treated in Ireland as Irish not as Hungarian, so i guess she wont be able to keep having the 4 eufam card , only the normal stamp4

jul1
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jul1 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:32 pm

pixie1230 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:08 pm
jul1 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 12:55 am

Irish or non irish it doesnt matter as long as you are married for 3 years, irish govt will accept that.

And yes, once u get your irish passport she/he can apply right away. As long you satisfy the criteria.

"Irish or non irish it doesnt matter as long as you are married for 3 years, irish govt will accept that. "

i dont get this one, why would not it matter, im hungarian citizen, even though i live here 6 years now my wife wont be able to apply the irish citizenship based on our marriage, only if i became irish

pixie1230

Post by pixie1230 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:42 pm

Me and my husband got married when I was not an irish citizen yet and got married in our home country. So it clearly doesnt matter if ur irish or not when u get married as long as u can prove to them a marriage certificate. Thats what i meant.