ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

joint EEA1 and EEA2 - word of caution!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

emvannini
Newly Registered

joint EEA1 and EEA2 - word of caution!

Post by emvannini » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:36 am

Good morning, everyone. I wanted to share my recent experience with my husband's and my "joint" EEA1 and EEA2 application.

Just as a bit of background, I'm Italian, my husband is a non-EU, non-visa national. We moved here for my job last year. My husband came into the UK with an EEAFP.

At the end of January, we sent in our EEA1 and EEA2 applications to the EEA1 address at Lunar House. We sent the usual documents - legalized marriage certificate, my payslips, our two passports and pictures. Not much else given all you have to prove with the EEA1 and 2 is that you're exercising the right of free movement, your identity and your relationship. We received our COAs after a little over two weeks. Then we waited.

Yesterday (after 3 months!) the mailman came to our door with a registered letter. It was my passport and registration certificate - but not my husband's passport or Residence Card. My passport was accompanied with a letter letting me know the Home Office had issued my registration certificate and that it was enclosed along with my passport. None of our other documents were returned. The letterhead was from the new EEA1 processing center in Liverpool.

I called the Home Office, where they essentially told me our applications had been split up, a note had been put in my husband's file, along with a copy of my passport and a confirmation that an officer had seen it, and that my husband's EEA2 application was still in the regular EEA2 queue in Croydon. I asked whether I should now send my passport to Croydon, given that without my passport my husband's application would be incomplete. The answer was no, if they needed anything else they would let me know.

Sooooo.... I just thought I would warn everyone else that it looks like they're on to the joint application "trick" now that they've moved the EEA1 processing to Liverpool! Additionally, it looks like any EEA1 applications they NOT gotten to by the Liverpool "move" date (Feb. 25th??) were also transferred to Liverpool. I will keep you all posted on the progress of my husband's EEA2. It's probably still worthwhile to try the trick, but judging from our experience that may no longer speed up the EEA2 application like it used to.

All the best,
Eva

ran

am in the same boat

Post by ran » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:15 pm

hiya all,

Thanks eva for the post.
I was just panicking bcoz this morning we recieved my wife's(dutch) national ID card and resident stamped certificate from HO. The postmark was that of Croydon and was in my wife's name only.
None of the other supporting documents, my passport or any covering letter was enclosed.
I was assuming the worst that they were keeping my EEA2 application to find some way to reject it. Then I saw ur post and am a bit relieved.

It looks like that they will keep it for the whole length of time :( like u said.
If any of the experienced members have any advice re: this situation would be highly appreciated.
I will keep you guys posted.

REgards,
ran

thsths
United Kingdom

Re: joint EEA1 and EEA2 - word of caution!

Post by thsths » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:04 pm

emvannini wrote:I called the Home Office, where they essentially told me our applications had been split up, a note had been put in my husband's file, along with a copy of my passport and a confirmation that an officer had seen it, and that my husband's EEA2 application was still in the regular EEA2 queue in Croydon.
I am amazed by the incompetency of this administration. I understand that they are busy, and that is why the applications take so long to process. But now they create even more work for themselves by splitting what should be one case into two? So the same case has to be assessed twice, and the documentation has to be sorted, mailed around etc. This does remind me of "The Twelve Tasks of Asterix", if you know what I mean.

Anyway, thanks for letting us know. It does indeed sound like there is no point in applying together anymore.

Tom

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:55 pm

I called the Home Office, where they essentially told me our applications had been split up, a note had been put in my husband's file, along with a copy of my passport and a confirmation that an officer had seen it, and that my husband's EEA2 application was still in the regular EEA2 queue in Croydon.
I agree that the lack of smooth administration and communication between the Liverpool and Croydon offices and depts is a problem and it may be the cause. Our joint applications were submitted, considered and approved together. We applied mid-Feb and they were granted mid-March.

It is worth mentioning that applications submitted on or around the 25 Feb may be subject to transistion problems due to the address changes for EEA 1 and 2 applications.

My advice would be to proactively follow up in writing stating the obvious and not taking the word of the advisor as they normally reply to all questions asked with standard answers AND with limited access to information. This may not always be a true reflection of the your case as it lies their end (our cards were granted and the telephone advisors still had it down as being considered on their system).

ran

any developments

Post by ran » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:26 pm

Hi Eva,

Any news on the EEA2 application. I am still waiting for mine! It is the most ridiculous system I have ever encountered.....

Hope rest is fine with you.

ran

Eclair
Newly Registered

Post by Eclair » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:03 pm

Wait so I'm confused...we're applying for EEA1 and EEA2...which office do I send them to? We can't split them up to different places because both need my partner's passport...

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:03 am

emvannini wrote: At the end of January, we sent in our EEA1 and EEA2 applications to the EEA1 address at Lunar House. We sent the usual documents - legalized marriage certificate, my payslips, our two passports and pictures. Not much else given all you have to prove with the EEA1 and 2 is that you're exercising the right of free movement, your identity and your relationship. We received our COAs after a little over two weeks. Then we waited.

Yesterday (after 3 months!) the mailman came to our door with a registered letter. It was my passport and registration certificate - but not my husband's passport or Residence Card. My passport was accompanied with a letter letting me know the Home Office had issued my registration certificate and that it was enclosed along with my passport. None of our other documents were returned. The letterhead was from the new EEA1 processing center in Liverpool.
Pretty much the same story here. Joint application received in Croydon on Jan 17, residence certificate issued Mar 30 and received Apr 18 (for me and my daughter), still waiting for my wife's residence card and no supporting documents returned as of yet. People on the telephone sing the usual tune.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:24 pm

I dont know who came up with the idea of separating EEA 1 and 2 applications. To me it is a lack of common sense as there are joint documents that pertains to both applications..surely they are just creating more work for themselves :shock:

Because of the change of addresses for joint EEA 1 & 2 applications, I would say to make a copy of both applications and send the original EEA 2 application plus a copy of the EEA 1 application and vice versa to the adviced addresses.

The most important documents would be your marriage certificate, passports and proof of the EEA National excercising a treaty right in the UK. So have these documents certified. Make sure to include a certified copy of the non-EEA nationals passport with the EEA 1 application. Creating a link with certified documents is definately worth a try.

Good luck I hope your wait is not too much longer.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:23 am

Pasha wrote:I dont know who came up with the idea of separating EEA 1 and 2 applications. To me it is a lack of common sense as there are joint documents that pertains to both applications..surely they are just creating more work for themselves :shock:

Because of the change of addresses for joint EEA 1 & 2 applications, I would say to make a copy of both applications and send the original EEA 2 application plus a copy of the EEA 1 application and vice versa to the adviced addresses.

The most important documents would be your marriage certificate, passports and proof of the EEA National excercising a treaty right in the UK. So have these documents certified. Make sure to include a certified copy of the non-EEA nationals passport with the EEA 1 application. Creating a link with certified documents is definately worth a try.

Good luck I hope your wait is not too much longer.
I think some people recommended to send both applications to the Liverpool address.

emvannini
Newly Registered

Post by emvannini » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:37 pm

Just wanted to update you on progress. I would have done so sooner, but there hasn't been any! It will be 6 months from our submission date on Friday. I called the Home Office number today and they said my husband's application was still under consideration, and that no, I should not send any additional documentation unless the HO requested it. When I told the operator that the six month deadline was coming up on Friday, she said that was only a "guideline." I reminded her that no, it was not a "guideline," but the law. She repeated the guideline BS and I left it at that.

Anyway, I'm going to wait for the 6 month deadline to expire and then I'm going to hit them from every possible angle I can think of (complaint letters, phone calls, Solvit... hey, I might even sue them if they make me angry enough).

It is beyond ridiculous that having already ascertained I am exercising treaty rights it could possibly take them 3 additional months to look at our marriage certificate and determine that yes, we are indeed married (for over 4 years, might I add).

RAN, any progress on your end?

thsths
United Kingdom

Post by thsths » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:02 pm

emvannini wrote:Anyway, I'm going to wait for the 6 month deadline to expire and then I'm going to hit them from every possible angle I can think of (complaint letters, phone calls, Solvit... hey, I might even sue them if they make me angry enough).
I completely agree with your feeling, but you should plan what you want to do. Most of all, stay cool!

About your options: complaints for example seem to have no effect whatsoever, whereas SOLVIT at least gets something done, and I hope they keep track of how many issues they have with the Home Office. A law suit is also a good way to get heard, but it only makes sense if you can prove damages. For example if you book a flight last minute because of the delay and that makes it more expensive, you could possibly claim the difference from the Home Office. Unless you have damages to claim, going to court does not make a lot of sense, since you will almost certainly get the residence card before the court hearing.

Tom

ran

hope u got the residence card 2day!!

Post by ran » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:12 pm

Hi Eva,

Just saw ur post! Thanks for the update.....
There's been no developments at all on my side - but i have been keeping away from phoning the HO as from the collective experiences, its an abs waste of time. Moreover it just makes one more frustrated and angry at the system - i guess.

I am also going to wait till the 6 months is over and then take clear cut actions (21st Aug is the cutoff mark for me). I have been consulting this immigration solicitor at EMLC (who has been very helpful over the years) and she's gonna help me in writing to the HO, MP, solvit amongst others if there's no word till the 21st!! Its really good to have some support and especially u guys - this forum is fantastic.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for u - hope u get some good news today!! In the meantime I am just gonna enjoy the summer which is finally blossoming and the august festival here in edin!

Good luck and keep in touch....

ran

Eclair
Newly Registered

Post by Eclair » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:19 pm

So I'm sending out our joint EEA1 and EEA2...but after reading this I'm a bit confused. Which office should I send our applications? We're posting notarized copies of our passports until they ask for the actual thing. Aside from that, the only documents I need are the civil partnership document, work papers and photos(I think thats all I need but the last page of the forms is a long checklist)...but what address do I send them both to?

Tyro

when did you last entered UK

Post by Tyro » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:50 am

Hi there, thanks for you reply earlier.

I am sending my EEA2 form this week,
I am just wondering if you can help me with following questions.

1. In section 1 it ask when you last entered UK. I have been living in UK since September 2004, but I go on holidays every year. I went for three weeks holidays in April2008. So what date has to be entered in this field? Since I first entered UK or last time I came into country from holiday.

Best Regards

Tyro

Rozen
Diamond Member

Re: when did you last entered UK

Post by Rozen » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:44 pm

Tyro wrote:Hi there, thanks for you reply earlier.

I am sending my EEA2 form this week,
I am just wondering if you can help me with following questions.

1. In section 1 it ask when you last entered UK. I have been living in UK since September 2004, but I go on holidays every year. I went for three weeks holidays in April2008. So what date has to be entered in this field? Since I first entered UK or last time I came into country from holiday.

Best Regards

Tyro
The question is "when did you last enter the UK?" So logic would dictate the last time you came into the country from holiday.

Someone somewhere posted that they put when they first came into the UK, and not the last time they returned from holiday, but I wouldn't take that chance.

Up to you, though!

emvannini
Newly Registered

Post by emvannini » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:03 pm

Some news for those of you in my situation, and who have been following my case.

I emailed a complaint to the Home Office's NW CSU yesterday regarding my husband's application. This morning, I received a response from the Home Office apologizing for the delay ( :shock: ) and letting me know that the application has been decided on and is on its way from Liverpool to Croydon, where they will prepare the necessary documents and send me a package by recorded delivery.

When they say his application has been "decided" on, they better mean POSITIVELY, otherwise I will raise a stink like they have never before seen!

PS: Despite the fact that my payslips were from November, December and January, they never asked me for additional documentation like I was expecting. Hmm.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:45 pm

We had a similar experience, the HO called apologising for the delay. They did say our case has been 'considered and decided upon'. My husband took the called and asked what was the decision and they said approved. Your file will be sent to Croydon to have the residence permit endorsement placed in your passport. In our exoerience this took 10 working days..seems as though you wait is coming to an end :wink:

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:58 pm

emvannini wrote:Some news for those of you in my situation, and who have been following my case.

I emailed a complaint to the Home Office's NW CSU yesterday regarding my husband's application. This morning, I received a response from the Home Office apologizing for the delay ( :shock: ) and letting me know that the application has been decided on and is on its way from Liverpool to Croydon, where they will prepare the necessary documents and send me a package by recorded delivery.

When they say his application has been "decided" on, they better mean POSITIVELY, otherwise I will raise a stink like they have never before seen!

PS: Despite the fact that my payslips were from November, December and January, they never asked me for additional documentation like I was expecting. Hmm.
Could you kindly tell us the email address you used? :)

emvannini
Newly Registered

Post by emvannini » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:04 pm

Of course! I used the Northwest Region Customer Service Unit complaint email address - NWCSU@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk. I used that one rather than the London and Southeast one because my husband's application was in Liverpool, and the London CSU email address wasn't working! I filled out a formal complaint form and attached it to the email. I didn't expect to get a response, much less the next day... Incidentally, I don't know whether this helped or not but before seding the complaint I had also contacted both my MP and Solvit.

Hope this helps you all!

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:12 pm

emvannini wrote:Of course! I used the Northwest Region Customer Service Unit complaint email address - NWCSU@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk. I used that one rather than the London and Southeast one because my husband's application was in Liverpool, and the London CSU email address wasn't working! I filled out a formal complaint form and attached it to the email. I didn't expect to get a response, much less the next day... Incidentally, I don't know whether this helped or not but before seding the complaint I had also contacted both my MP and Solvit.

Hope this helps you all!
Thanks emvannini. :)

ran

response from HO

Post by ran » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:42 pm

Hiya,

Finally got a response from the HO. I had sent complaint letters out to the HO on the 11th of sep and today I got a letter from them saying that a case worker has been assigned to my case and it has been given priority!

Hope thats the beginning of the end of my long wait. I just hope no more delays are forthcoming. It would be really frustrating now if they start asking for fresh documents! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Regards,
ran

cb1964

Post by cb1964 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:24 pm

I must admit I was worried when I received my residency and passport (I'm an EU citizen) , but my husband did not receive his. It is now over 7 months of waiting.

joelondon
Member of Standing

Post by joelondon » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:38 pm

emvannini wrote:Good morning, everyone. I wanted to share my recent experience with my husband's and my "joint" EEA1 and EEA2 application.

Just as a bit of background, I'm Italian, my husband is a non-EU, non-visa national. We moved here for my job last year. My husband came into the UK with an EEAFP.

At the end of January, we sent in our EEA1 and EEA2 applications to the EEA1 address at Lunar House. We sent the usual documents - legalized marriage certificate, my payslips, our two passports and pictures. Not much else given all you have to prove with the EEA1 and 2 is that you're exercising the right of free movement, your identity and your relationship. We received our COAs after a little over two weeks. Then we waited.

I called the Home Office, where they essentially told me our applications had been split up, a note had been put in my husband's file, along with a copy of my passport and a confirmation that an officer had seen it, and that my husband's EEA2 application was still in the regular EEA2 queue in Croydon. I asked whether I should now send my passport to Croydon, given that without my passport my husband's application would be incomplete. The answer was no, if they needed anything else they would let me know.

Sooooo.... I just thought I would warn everyone else that it looks like they're on to the joint application "trick" now that they've moved the EEA1 processing to Liverpool! Additionally, it looks like any EEA1 applications they NOT gotten to by the Liverpool "move" date (Feb. 25th??) were also transferred to Liverpool. I will keep you all posted on the progress of my husband's EEA2. It's probably still worthwhile to try the trick, but judging from our experience that may no longer speed up the EEA2 application like it used to.

All the best,
Eva

hi there
where did you get married in italy or uk ? if in italy did u apply for the resident card for your husband ? or no ?

joelondon
Member of Standing

Post by joelondon » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:25 pm

...do u know where they studied the EEA4 application forms , is it in Croydon or Liverpool .... I'm a bit confuse now , i need some serious help , my case is a bit complicated , before i applied for the UK PR i left the UK about 2 months before my resident permit expired i went to France to apply for the permanent resident of France , as my wife is French .i had the resident permit in about 25days. but i'm thinking if its possible to send my wife to apply for my UK PR , do u think it will be a problem for that , as if it was me who applied for it...plzzzzzzz let me know .

lennys26
Newly Registered

Post by lennys26 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:00 pm

[quote="emvannini"]Of course! I used the Northwest Region Customer Service Unit complaint email address - NWCSU@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk. I used that one rather than the London and Southeast one because my husband's application was in Liverpool, and the London CSU email address wasn't working! I filled out a formal complaint form and attached it to the email. I didn't expect to get a response, much less the next day... Incidentally, I don't know whether this helped or not but before seding the complaint I had also contacted both my MP and Solvit.

Hope this helps you all![/quote]

Not sure if this topic is still live, but ... I am a US citizen and my wife is Spanish. We have been waiting for over 8 months for my EEA2 and recently sent an email complaint to both London and Manchester CSUs.

- After no response, another round.
- After that, a formal letter to both.
- After that a formal letter (CCd by email) with the 'complaint form' to both, plus the letter to Liverpool (dont have an email for them).

Have yet to get any response what so ever to any of them. My complaints started almost 2 months ago.

I have a business in Spain as well as business in the UK (UK Ltd). The situation is frustrating.

Up until now, I have not contacted Solvit, however I will do so now. Nothing else to do really.