ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does one declare foreign citizenship being decided by courts?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ILoveMyDogs
Newly Registered
United States of America

What is my country of "permanent" residence?

Post by ILoveMyDogs » Wed May 16, 2018 6:14 pm

I am a national of the United States, but I currently reside overseas on a temporary residency visa (with permission to work). I have lived outside of the USA in excess of a full calendar year. However, on my UK visa application, it asks for my country of "permanent residence". Is the country I reside in my country of permanent residence, despite the fact that my visa here expires in 2020? Or is my country of permanent residence the United States (even though I maintain no home there) since I do not have indefinite permission to remain in my current country of residence?

ILoveMyDogs
Newly Registered
United States of America

Does one declare foreign citizenship being decided by courts?

Post by ILoveMyDogs » Wed May 16, 2018 6:21 pm

On my UK visa application, it asks if I hold any foreign citizenship. I have an ongoing case in a foreign country to determine my citizenship status there. I was born outside of that country, and thus needed to apply for recognition of my citizenship-by-birth on the basis of my mother being a national. Per the laws of that nation, I should be recognized as a citizen from my birth. However, due to severe backlog, that nation has not confirmed whether or not they recognize my citizenship status, and likely won't for up to half of a year longer (I filed the appropriate paperwork about a year ago). In the meantime, under their domestic law, I am treated as a non-citizen until their bureaucracy handles the paperwork. However, I don't want to be accused of concealing my foreign nationality on my UK visa application, once my other citizenship is confirmed (since I am legally a citizen of that country from birth).

What shall I indicate on my UK visa application?

Thanks!

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: What is my country of "permanent" residence?

Post by sah10406 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:53 pm

ILoveMyDogs wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:14 pm
Is the country I reside in my country of permanent residence, despite the fact that my visa here expires in 2020?
If that's where you will be living permanently, yes. If you are only there temporarily, no.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Does one declare foreign citizenship being decided by courts?

Post by sah10406 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:56 pm

ILoveMyDogs wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:21 pm
What shall I indicate on my UK visa application?
Any citizenship that you hold, and which you could prove if asked. If this makes you feel like you are withholding information, there is a free text field at the end of the application.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Does one declare foreign citizenship being decided by courts?

Post by CR001 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:00 am

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.