ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Trapped in the UK?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

anglophile
Newly Registered

Trapped in the UK?

Post by anglophile » Wed May 16, 2018 9:10 pm

Hi, All

I am married to a BC and I will be eligible for ILR in a couple of months. My plan is to apply for citizenship right after getting the ILR. My question to you is the following: will be "trapped" in the UK right after submitting my application for naturalisation and until the moment I receive my British passport?

My understanding is that I will have to submit my ILR BRP with my application for naturalisation and that I will have no visa to re-enter the UK once I return my ILR BRP. Am I right? We normally plan our holidays well in advance. With the upcoming Brexit I am worried that the naturalisation services will be overwhelmed with applications and that we will end up visiting the highlands more than a couple times. :)

Your advise will be appreciated!

A.

silverchloride
Member of Standing
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: Trapped in the UK?

Post by silverchloride » Wed May 16, 2018 10:27 pm

Once your naturalisation application is approved, you will have to book an oath taking ceremony (usually within 90 days of the approval). You can travel around after applying and once you get your letter, you can book a ceremony that fits in with your schedule. Technically, the day after you attend the citizenship ceremony you will be 'trapped' in the UK, as you will be receiving your passports in post within a few days (or weeks). After that, your biometric permit (ILR) becomes invalid.

Hope this helps :)

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by bruteforce » Wed May 16, 2018 11:20 pm

No you won't be trapped. Use NCS or NDRS from your local council & you will be able to keep your original documents including passport & BRP & you will be free to roam around after enrolling bio metrics.

kushalprasad
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by kushalprasad » Sun May 20, 2018 1:03 am

anglophile wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:10 pm
Hi, All

I am married to a BC and I will be eligible for ILR in a couple of months. My plan is to apply for citizenship right after getting the ILR. My question to you is the following: will be "trapped" in the UK right after submitting my application for naturalisation and until the moment I receive my British passport?

My understanding is that I will have to submit my ILR BRP with my application for naturalisation and that I will have no visa to re-enter the UK once I return my ILR BRP. Am I right? We normally plan our holidays well in advance. With the upcoming Brexit I am worried that the naturalisation services will be overwhelmed with applications and that we will end up visiting the highlands more than a couple times. :)

Your advise will be appreciated!

A.
Luckily no. NCS is the answer. When you use NCS, they check all your documents, take photocopies and return you all your originals. They even photocopy your form and give it to you. While your application is being considered you will have all your original docs with you. So you are not trapped. NCS cost few extra bucks but worth every penny. I used it and got on approval. Make sure to book it asap as they may not be available for next 1-2 weeks. There are very few people who work in the local councils. In my council basically it's just one employee who does most NCS work.

Also if you use NCS your application may take less time than sending it by post. Mine was approved in 2 months.

Good luck!