ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settlement as a Parent of British citizen

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ricky18
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Settlement as a Parent of British citizen

Post by Ricky18 » Sat May 12, 2018 2:15 pm

Hi All,
First of all, I would like to thank everyone that's been sharing their invaluable knowledge on here. I do follow this forum time to time and I'm at a crossroad where I need some insight from people with experience on here. I'm currently on a parent of a British child settlement visa at the moment. My lawyer initially applied for the 10yrs route, after the first 2.5yrs I realised I actually qualified for the 5yr route and asked him to apply for a 5yr route when I did my extension. The first 2.5yrs of the 5yr route is now about to expire and I need to extend my visa. With the fact that I've now spent 5yrs on a settlement visa (2.5yr on a 10yr route and 2.5 on 5yr route), do you think I can now apply for ILR?
On their site it says:
You need to have been living in the UK with a parent visa for 5 or 10 years depending on which route you’re on:
5 years if your child was a British citizen or settled in the UK
10 years if your child was a British citizen or had lived in the UK continuously for at least 7 years
My child has been a British citizen since birth as his father is British. I'm not in a relationship with his father and have the sole custody of the child.
Please advise and let me know if I'm pushing my luck or I'm truly due for ILR.
Thanks

Londoner007
Diamond Member

Re: Settlement as a Parent of British citizen

Post by Londoner007 » Sat May 12, 2018 8:38 pm

If you've only completed 2.5 years on a 5 year settlement, how can you apply for ILR?
Verily, After Hardship Comes Ease

tsar_bomb36
Ghana

Post by tsar_bomb36 » Sat May 19, 2018 11:11 am

Hello, I think I am in the same shoes as you. I was granted leave to remain on the 10 year route ( I have a child with a British citizen and we are currently legally married but separated. I was granted the 10 year route because I was an overstayer. Afew months after I was granted the 10 year route the relationship broke down so I made the home office aware. After 2 and half years when it was time to renew for a further 2 and half years I applied for the 5 year route and was granted. A few months another 2 and half years passed and I instead went straight ahead and applied for ILR. I read the immigration rules and realised there is nothing to lose apart from extra cost for applying for ILR. My application is still pending decision and it's been close to 3 months now. I have had letters and emails from the HO informing me my application is still under consideration and will decided within 6 months. If I'm refused I will be asked to pay for immigration health surcharge and a further 2.5 year extension given to me instead ( according to HO website).
I will let you know the decision when the time comes.
I added a letter from my son's mother's GP showing she has been diagnosed with depression, fibromyalgia and depression and for that matter I take an increased role in my son's upbringing and care.

graceofgod1
United Kingdom

Post by graceofgod1 » Sun May 20, 2018 2:57 pm

Ricky18 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 2:15 pm
Hi All,
First of all, I would like to thank everyone that's been sharing their invaluable knowledge on here. I do follow this forum time to time and I'm at a crossroad where I need some insight from people with experience on here. I'm currently on a parent of a British child settlement visa at the moment. My lawyer initially applied for the 10yrs route, after the first 2.5yrs I realised I actually qualified for the 5yr route and asked him to apply for a 5yr route when I did my extension. The first 2.5yrs of the 5yr route is now about to expire and I need to extend my visa. With the fact that I've now spent 5yrs on a settlement visa (2.5yr on a 10yr route and 2.5 on 5yr route), do you think I can now apply for ILR?
On their site it says:
You need to have been living in the UK with a parent visa for 5 or 10 years depending on which route you’re on:
5 years if your child was a British citizen or settled in the UK
10 years if your child was a British citizen or had lived in the UK continuously for at least 7 years
My child has been a British citizen since birth as his father is British. I'm not in a relationship with his father and have the sole custody of the child.
Please advise and let me know if I'm pushing my luck or I'm truly due for ILR.
Thanks
Everytime you change your settlement route, the clock resets to zero and your previous time spent in the uk becomes irrelevant.( except for SET LR).