ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working prior to course starting

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Hopeful42
Singapore

Working prior to course starting

Post by Hopeful42 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:57 am

Hi Everyone,

I have an unconditional offer to study a masters course in the UK starting in September.

I understand that you're allowed to enter the UK up to 4 weeks before the start of the course. If I already have a part-time/weekend job lined up prior to arriving in the UK does anyone know if I'm allowed to start this in that couple of weeks before the course starts - or do I need to wait until my course officially starts before I can start any work?

I don't actually have a job lined up yet but I thought I would ask in case I come across anything. If this isn't allowed I will probably stay in my job/home country for as long as possible before going to the UK to start the course.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

sptula
Member of Standing
India

Re: Working prior to course starting

Post by sptula » Sun May 20, 2018 12:05 am

Hopeful42 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:57 am
Hi Everyone,

I have an unconditional offer to study a masters course in the UK starting in September.

I understand that you're allowed to enter the UK up to 4 weeks before the start of the course. If I already have a part-time/weekend job lined up prior to arriving in the UK does anyone know if I'm allowed to start this in that couple of weeks before the course starts - or do I need to wait until my course officially starts before I can start any work?

I don't actually have a job lined up yet but I thought I would ask in case I come across anything. If this isn't allowed I will probably stay in my job/home country for as long as possible before going to the UK to start the course.

Genuine employers will have to check your visa and ask you to submit Course Enrollment letter from University to allow you to work... Employers have to comply this when they offer job to Tier 4 Students

Hopeful42
Singapore

Post by Hopeful42 » Sun May 20, 2018 2:40 am

sptula wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 12:05 am
Hopeful42 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Genuine employers will have to check your visa and ask you to submit Course Enrollment letter from University to allow you to work... Employers have to comply this when they offer job to Tier 4 Students
Yes I am aware of these rules and would not be expecting to start a part time job unless they cited my visa, etc. My question is simply could I start my part time job about two weeks before before my classes started (if all my visa stuff checked out with them) or should I wait until the date my classes start or later? I ask because given my course length I am able to enter the UK up to a month before my classes start. I’m not sure if I can start work in this period or not.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:49 am

See this existing topic about the same issue:
uk-tier-4-student-visas/tier-4-dependen ... 53319.html
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Hopeful42
Singapore

Post by Hopeful42 » Sun May 20, 2018 11:30 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:49 am
See this existing topic about the same issue:
uk-tier-4-student-visas/tier-4-dependen ... 53319.html
Thank you! This is good to know

sptula
Member of Standing
India

Post by sptula » Mon May 21, 2018 11:20 am

Hopeful42 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 2:40 am
sptula wrote:
Hopeful42 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Yes I am aware of these rules and would not be expecting to start a part time job unless they cited my visa, etc. My question is simply could I start my part time job about two weeks before before my classes started (if all my visa stuff checked out with them) or should I wait until the date my classes start or later? I ask because given my course length I am able to enter the UK up to a month before my classes start. I’m not sure if I can start work in this period or not.
Once you can get Enrollment letter from University (which they issue after checking your visa and attend their Induction programme)..... if you start job with that letter

Doesnt matter when you actual classes start, That's upto university plan

Hopeful42
Singapore

Post by Hopeful42 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:49 am

sptula wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:20 am
Hopeful42 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 2:40 am
sptula wrote:
Hopeful42 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Once you can get Enrollment letter from University (which they issue after checking your visa and attend their Induction programme)..... if you start job with that letter

Doesnt matter when you actual classes start, That's upto university plan
Thanks, yes I got this clarified with my uni/tier 4 sponsor and they reported the same.