ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pixie1230

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by pixie1230 » Sun May 06, 2018 7:10 am

bluemoon2 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:29 pm
pixie1230 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:00 pm
Hello my husband Emailed them again and they said we will hear from them by the end of May This year. And we’re on the final stage already. And they dont need any additional paperworks from us anymore(as per the guy who answered the email)
Hopefully they will stick with their word. As my child is with my mom and my mom is a bit old already to take care a 7 month old baby.

Me and my husband are both Irish, I’m thru naturalisation and my husband is by descent.
Applied for my daughter: Nov 2017
Additional documents required: Jan 2018
Submitted the documents needed: March 2018
said will get a decision by the end of May

This is just soo frustrating😩😩😩
Hopefully you will get it soon , best wishes for you , I know how frustrating it is as I applied for my daughter since January 2017 still no news.
Did they tell you what’s the reason for the delay?
Are u and ur wife irish thru naturalisation??

pixie1230

Post by pixie1230 » Sun May 06, 2018 7:17 am

Mak2386 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:29 pm
pixie1230 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:10 pm
bluemoon2 wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:47 am
pixie1230 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:44 am
Hello Everyone!!

I submitted my daughters application(6 month old baby) Last nov 2017.
Feb 2018 asked for additional documents.
Mar 2018 submitted the documents.
And now they told us to wait for another 3-4 months for decision.
I wonder what else do they need to check that will take that long?
I know its just 6 months altogether from the date of application, and for us it will take 2-3 months longer than 6 months if we need to wait for another 3-4 months again. What sort of things do they need to check??? I am hoping that our baby will not turn 1 year old when she gets to Ireland.
Its very frustrating as I am suffering from it too , unfortunately there is no good news for them whose babies are born abroad , I do not want to discourage you but I think your application will take one year from now ,
I applied for my one year old baby in January 2017 and they asked me for more documents in May 2017 which I sent them within a week , since then I am waiting , IA asked them few times they said we are processing it , its 14 months now and I don,t expect anything at least before 6 months and I also know few people who are suffering from exact same situation with same circumstances .

Its g disgraceful and inhuman how they treat the babies born abroad.
I know It’s horrible!!
I feel sorry for my child not having her parents beside her, but what can we do? We are both working here.

I emailed them today and was told I’ll be getting a decision by end of May 2018. Hopefully they will stick with their word. I dunno what else aee they checking.

Hello.
I am sorry to hear this.
mine is also pending since Sept 2017. I have been told the decision will be made in April and now they are asking few more months.--- unfortunately.
Hello Mark? Are u irish and your wife Irish thru naturalisation? Or thru blood? I was trying to figure out whats causing the delay on our applications. It’s so annoying. I am irish thru naturalisation and my husband is by descent(half irish), my baby’s grandfather is full blooded irish.

pixie1230

Post by pixie1230 » Sun May 06, 2018 7:27 am

Mak2386 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:54 pm
bluemoon2 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:44 pm
Mak2386 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:29 pm
pixie1230 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:10 pm

I know It’s horrible!!
I feel sorry for my child not having her parents beside her, but what can we do? We are both working here.

I emailed them today and was told I’ll be getting a decision by end of May 2018. Hopefully they will stick with their word. I dunno what else aee they checking.

Hello.
I am sorry to hear this.
mine is also pending since Sept 2017. I have been told the decision will be made in April and now they are asking few more months.--- unfortunately.
When did you apply ? September 2017 ?
I have sent all docs to London Embassy on 2nd June 2017, Dublin has asked me additional documents on 8-9-2017 I have submitted requested docs. on 22-09-2017 and from then it is under manager review. I have sent email to them and answer is to wait few more months.-----helpless don't know what to do//
Sorry Mark! I just realize you’re applying for yourself and not for your child.
I wanted to ask if your parents or grandparents are irish thru Blood? Or naturalise?
I was thinking that maybe its because I am a naturalise irish thats why im having a delay, but i married an irish man(half irish)
So i dont really know whats their basis.

jpcti
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by jpcti » Sun May 06, 2018 3:33 pm

Be careful. There are 3 types of documents

1) birth, marriage, death, all need to come from civil authorities with their watermark/chop/seal/etc. NO COPIES ALLOWED

2) your/your parent/your grandparent photo ID like passport is a copy that needs to be notarized

3) utilities, bank statement, and stuff like that should be original or high quality color .pdf if your bills/statements are all online and never mailed

And of course the application and photos need signature and date of your witness

So do not deviate AT ALL in documents that are requested or it will delay your approval

bluemoon2

Post by bluemoon2 » Sun May 06, 2018 11:56 pm

pixie1230 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 7:10 am
bluemoon2 wrote:
pixie1230 wrote:
Hello my husband Emailed them again and they said we will hear from them by the end of May This year. And we’re on the final stage already. And they dont need any additional paperworks from us anymore(as per the guy who answered the email)
Hopefully they will stick with their word. As my child is with my mom and my mom is a bit old already to take care a 7 month old baby.

Me and my husband are both Irish, I’m thru naturalisation and my husband is by descent.

Hopefully you will get it soon , best wishes for you , I know how frustrating it is as I applied for my daughter since January 2017 still no news.
I am Irish through naturalization and living in Ireland and my wife is non eu citizen living in our home country with baby.

pixie1230

Post by pixie1230 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:45 am

bluemoon2 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 11:56 pm
pixie1230 wrote:
bluemoon2 wrote:
pixie1230 wrote:

I am Irish through naturalization and living in Ireland and my wife is non eu citizen living in our home country with baby.

Ohh we are the same, I am an non eu, and got my citizenship via marriage. The only difference is my husband is irish by blood and he is in Ireland too like me. So let’s see their basis. I’m just trying to figure out and I’m thinking what could be the reason why some is getting a delay even if we pass all the requirements.
Uggh! I just want to get over this! I’ll let u know as soon as i hear anything. As of now, still nothing aside from what they told my husband on our last email.

bluemoon2

Post by bluemoon2 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:39 am

pixie1230 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 6:45 am
bluemoon2 wrote:
pixie1230 wrote:
bluemoon2 wrote:

Ohh we are the same, I am an non eu, and got my citizenship via marriage. The only difference is my husband is irish by blood and he is in Ireland too like me. So let’s see their basis. I’m just trying to figure out and I’m thinking what could be the reason why some is getting a delay even if we pass all the requirements.
Uggh! I just want to get over this! I’ll let u know as soon as i hear anything. As of now, still nothing aside from what they told my husband on our last email.
Wish you best of luck , if they say you will hear before end of May then its not too long left , wish you all the best with it . do let us know if you hear anything. cheers

caferacer
Australia

Post by caferacer » Wed May 09, 2018 4:25 pm

Today I became an Irish citizen, Thx for the help, and I hope Ive helped a few on this forum along the way, for some reason it means more to me than my school results , or Uni certifcate...I feel very proud...my docs will be returned soon, so, when that happens, say a week,maybe 2, then it will have been 6 months for me.Ill be off to Liverpool express as soon as i arrange the application, when all the docs and FBR are back. :D

eamonspeedy
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by eamonspeedy » Thu May 10, 2018 4:18 pm

Kellie18 wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:14 pm
Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone can help?

I’m just gathering my documents for my FBR and I’ve got them all. I’ve read that the copies need to notiarized? I’ve photocopied them on the printer. Is this okay to send or Do I need to get someone to sign that they are a true copy before I send them?

Thanks,

Kellie
Hi Kellie, I've just completed the FBR process - it took about 6 months to receive my registration certificate after I sent the application.

They require originals of everything apart from passports. For the passport (mine and my father's) I got the copies notarised at my local solicitor. They charged about £20 for the two documents. The copies are signed or officially stamped to prove they are a true representation of the original document and not something you've knocked up on Photoshop - something that isn't possible to prove if you copy them yourself on the printer :wink:

I sent everything to them recorded delivery - I was a little worried about sending original versions of everything in the post, but it all arrived home safely.

pixie1230

Post by pixie1230 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:47 pm

bluemoon2 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 11:39 am
pixie1230 wrote:
bluemoon2 wrote:
pixie1230 wrote:

Wish you best of luck , if they say you will hear before end of May then its not too long left , wish you all the best with it . do let us know if you hear anything. cheers

Hiya bluemoon! I emailed them and was told that my daughters certificate has been printed and posted already.
Will wait for it in the post tomorrow. I am over the moon!!
Hopefully u get urs soon! I know how hard it is to wait and u get paranoid also.

Application for my daughter born outside Ireland(mother is naturalise irish- father is irish by descent)
Applied : November 27,2017
Requested for additional documents: Jan 2018
Emailed them, and was told printed and posted: May 15,2018
(6 months altogether)

Can’t wait to bring my daughter here😊

bluemoon2

Post by bluemoon2 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:50 pm

pixie1230 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:47 pm
bluemoon2 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 11:39 am
pixie1230 wrote:
bluemoon2 wrote:

Hiya bluemoon! I emailed them and was told that my daughters certificate has been printed and posted already.
Will wait for it in the post tomorrow. I am over the moon!!
Hopefully u get urs soon! I know how hard it is to wait and u get paranoid also.

Application for my daughter born outside Ireland(mother is naturalise irish- father is irish by descent)
Applied : November 27,2017
Requested for additional documents: Jan 2018
Emailed them, and was told printed and posted: May 15,2018
(6 months altogether)

Can’t wait to bring my daughter here😊
BIG CONGRATULATIONS , very happy for you as you will bring little girl to Ireland to live with you. Once again millions of congratulations .

jjxfol
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by jjxfol » Fri May 18, 2018 3:40 pm

Hey Guys, your replies were a lot of help getting me through this so I should at least give you my timeline.

Application Submitted Online: Jan 25
Documents Received: Feb 7
Certificate Received: May 17 (letter dated May 10)

Looks like they got through their Trump/Brexit backlog and it's only taking 3 months now. Didn't hear a peep from the DFA aside from the two automated emails saying they got my application and documents, I wasn't expecting to get anything until August so it was a pleasant surprise to get the package from them.

My paperwork was very clean and simple (except my grandpa was never sure about his birthday :lol: , but I'm sure they are used to handling that issue), no name changes or anything. Just went through the checklist they include with the application twice to make sure I included everything before sending the papers to Ireland. I've seen the nightmares that some of you have gone through but mine was a very simple and easy process. Good luck to anyone going through or looking to start the process. I hope everyone else reading this has the same experience I did!

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Fri May 18, 2018 9:28 pm

jjxfol wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:40 pm

Looks like they got through their Trump/Brexit backlog and it's only taking 3 months now.

My paperwork was very clean and simple (except my grandpa was never sure about his birthday :lol: , but I'm sure they are used to handling that issue)
Your timeline is very encouraging. My documents were received in Dublin April 16th, and the confirmation I received said it could take up to six months. A June completion would be great!

I think my paperwork was equally clean. I provided all original birth/death/marriage certificates, notarized copy of my passport, and 3 proofs of address. My witness is an attorney in the U.S., who was previously an Irish barrister. I made sure that he signed the back of my photographs.

My grandfather was also never sure about his birthday. When I requested his birth certificate weeks earlier, I provided the one from his U.S. Social Security records. Apparently, it was wrong. But they found it anyway. His birth certificate arrived in my mailbox on St. Patricks day. I took that as a very good omen for things to come!

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Fri May 18, 2018 9:31 pm

PasadenaTom wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:28 pm
A June completion would be great!
I meant to say "July". But June would still be quite acceptable. :D

Kmk1
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Kmk1 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:03 pm

Hey everyone, I just had a quick question.
I submitted my mother’s application for her back in January and still haven’t heard anything. I emailed today and they asked me for an application number to check the status (which I stupidly didn’t write down before sending the documents). Has anyone else been in a similar situation and have any suggestions? Thank you!

emmamaymurphy
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by emmamaymurphy » Tue May 22, 2018 1:00 pm

Received my son’s FBR certificate this morning 22/5/18. The application was posted to the London Embassy 6/12/18 and the certicate is dated 3rd May, so under 6 months in total. No communication whatsoever between application and receiving the certificate today.

Berlingo
Newly Registered
Germany

Post by Berlingo » Tue May 22, 2018 7:50 pm

Six months has never felt so long! Got this reply from an enquiry today about waiting times:

There has been an unprecedented demand for Irish citizenship and the staff at the Consulate are continuing to process applications as quickly as is possible. We are unable to give an updated timeframe at this stage

My timeline:
Paperwork received at consulate 29/11/2017
Additional documents requested 30/11/2017
Additional documents received: 06/12/2017

putoluto
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by putoluto » Tue May 22, 2018 8:18 pm

JUST got my FBR Certificate in the USPS registered mail a few minutes ago.

Here are my timelines:
Re: 2018 Citizenship Application TIMELINES ONLY
Post by putoluto » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:18 pm

Application Based On: Foreign Birth Registry (FBR)

Application received On: January 3, 2018, sent from California to Dublin via Fedex
Acknowledgement : January 3, 2018 (via Fedex Signature Delivery only)
Awaiting On Approval: Certificate is dated May 8, 2018. Cover letter is dated May 15, 2018, I received it in the mail back in California (glad I was here, had to sign for it) on May 22, 2018.

No phone calls, mail, or emails from Dublin regarding this. All submitted documents (Birth certs, marriage certs, etc) returned with the Certificate.

So, it took 4 months and 3 weeks. Just shy of 5 months :-)

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Tue May 22, 2018 9:44 pm

putoluto wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:18 pm

No phone calls, mail, or emails from Dublin regarding this.
I received two emails. I submitted my application on April 9 and received an email that day as a receipt of my payment of the fee. I also received an email on April 16, to confirm that my documents were received in Dublin.

Based on what I am reading from others' experience, I expect that barring requests for additional information, I will hear nothing until it is approved.

The documentation requirements seem pretty clear to me. But it seems that others have been asked to submit additional information. What types of things trigger such requests?

putoluto
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by putoluto » Tue May 22, 2018 9:49 pm

Hi Tom From Pasadena (California?)

I did receive the "Application received" type email and "Payment received" email.
However, I received NOTHING from them until the FBR arrived in the mail. I mailed it off January 3, 2018 from California. It arrived in Dublin on January 7, 2018. I heard nothing until May 22 when I got the FBR in the mail. The FBR indicated it was approved May 8, and the cover letter was signed May 15.

The kinds of things that cause hiccups and delays are when the documents are not straightforward. When a birth certificate or other official document name does not match another document's name. In my case, my mother's name is entirely different than it was on her birth certificate. Maiden name changed of course, and she was born Mary but since her mom was Mary also, my mother used Marie her whole life. My mother also did not like her middle name, so between the ages of 13 and her current 88, she used her Catholic confirmation name as her middle name. This, surprisingly, did not cause much issue. Probably because I included a detailed cover letter with detailed explanations of any issues.

Anyhow, hope that insight helps.

jjxfol
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by jjxfol » Wed May 23, 2018 12:08 am

putoluto wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:49 pm

I did receive the "Application received" type email and "Payment received" email.
However, I received NOTHING from them until the FBR arrived in the mail. I mailed it off January 3, 2018 from California. It arrived in Dublin on January 7, 2018. I heard nothing until May 22 when I got the FBR in the mail. The FBR indicated it was approved May 8, and the cover letter was signed May 15.

The kinds of things that cause hiccups and delays are when the documents are not straightforward. When a birth certificate or other official document name does not match another document's name. In my case, my mother's name is entirely different than it was on her birth certificate. Maiden name changed of course, and she was born Mary but since her mom was Mary also, my mother used Marie her whole life. My mother also did not like her middle name, so between the ages of 13 and her current 88, she used her Catholic confirmation name as her middle name. This, surprisingly, did not cause much issue. Probably because I included a detailed cover letter with detailed explanations of any issues.

I'm very happy I didn't go through my grandma. She went by a different first name in the US, changed her name at marriage, the maiden name she used is spelled a lot differently than it was on her birth certificate (they were Irish speaking and illiterate, everyone in her family has a different spelling on the registry), and she changed her birth year because she didn't want people to know she was older than her husband :lol:. "Yes that's my grandma's birth certificate, every piece of information is different because she just lied a lot!"

Such was life before our bureaucratic age, it is so hard to imagine that today.

jjxfol
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by jjxfol » Wed May 23, 2018 12:08 am

putoluto wrote:

I'm very happy I didn't go through my grandma. She went by a different first name in the US, changed her name at marriage, the maiden name she used is spelled a lot differently than it was on her birth certificate (they were Irish speaking and illiterate, everyone in her family has a different spelling on the registry), and she changed her birth year because she didn't want people to know she was older than her husband :lol:. "Yes that's my grandma's birth certificate, every piece of information is different because she just lied a lot!"

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Wed May 23, 2018 1:12 am

jjxfol wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:08 am
putoluto wrote:

California, it is!

While obtaining my documentation, I was surprised at how "loose" things were in the past. I chose to use my grandfather, even though my grandmother was also from Ireland. But I had some difficulty at first making sense of her records. I finally realized that she was two years older than most everyone thought. U.S. Census records and the date on her gravestone suggested that she was about two years older than my grandfather. But when I searched Irish birth records, and passenger ship immigration records, it was clear that she was really four years older. She died before my grandfather, which makes me wonder if he knew the birth year on her gravestone was wrong, or if she hid her real age from him for all that time. Adding to the confusion was the fact that in some of my grandmother's records, her mother's first name is recorded in three forms; "Bessie", "Lizzie", and "Eliza". :roll:

I'm glad to hear that DFAT allows for some imprecision, as even with my grandfather, there are some slight inconsistencies. Both he and my grandmother are listed on their marriage certificate as being 26 years old. He was 28, and she was 32. Also, my grandfather's death certificate has a middle initial "J". No other document has it. I was 14 when he died, and still remember a conversation between my mother and her siblings when his obituary was being written. They weren't sure he actually had a middle name and if so what it was. They just remembered him saying (and maybe in jest) that he was "James J.". They were never sure it was real. But it made it into the obituary, and apparently his death record :)

Kev918
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Kev918 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:33 am

I received the confirmation of my Irish citizenship today! And I must say I was excited!

Here's my timeline:
January 31, 2018: Application received in Dublin.
March 27, 2018: Additional documents received in Dublin one week after their request.
May 11, 2018: Entry of foreign birth registry.
May 18, 2018: Cover letter notifying me of becoming an Irish citizen with all of my documents enclosed.

So from date of receipt until actual date of entry into the foreign births register was a couple days over 14 weeks. And that included at least a week delay for the additional document request.

FYI...I applied through descent as my paternal grandparents were born and married in Ireland.

Based on my timeline and other recent posts, it appears the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade is moving through their backlog of applications a lot faster these days.

Next step: Apply for my Irish passport.

Good luck everyone!

Kevin

Kev920
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Kev920 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:06 am

Okay so here is my timeline

Submitted application for Foreign Birth Registration electronically on 12/28/17
Documents received in Dublin 1/4/18
Called to ensure receipt - confirmed all documents received 1/8/18
No correspondence or inquiry for further documents
Called in early May to check status - informed application moved along for approval
Still waiting for any information or receipt of FBR and documents
Total time to date - 5 months