ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR : Income declaration

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Neo001
Newly Registered
India

British Citizen Spouse : Dilemma

Post by Neo001 » Sat May 26, 2018 10:18 pm

Hi, i have been following this form for few months and cannot seem to find the answer to my specific question hence I am opening this topic.
Details about my situation:
I am an Indian national and I am a British citizen's civil partner. My 5-year route to ILR completes on Feb 2019. I recently came across ILR applications being refused because of non-filing/late filing of SA (self-assessments).
My partner earns £30,000/annum and I am a director of my Ltd Company and just take a salary of £25,000/annum. I never understood personal tax implications and have only just been made aware that i need to file SA every year as a director of a Ltd company. My Ltd company was formed on 09/2014 and i have never filed a SA. I have not taken any dividends for the past year. All other taxes for my Ltd company is perfect except my personal SA.
My question is : is it wise for me to file all the late SA now and current SA before Feb-2019 (time of application for ILR) or should i leave it? I say leave it because the last time i extended my spouse visa for 2.5 years, i was still a director of the same company and was earning a salary, they never questioned it at the time and granted the 2.5 year visa. When filling application form at that time i simply put Operation Manager and my company name.
I have no problem filing all the SA but i don't want to be refused ILR because i filed SA late.

Please Help.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: British Citizen Spouse : Dilemma

Post by dontringthebell » Sun May 27, 2018 2:48 am

Filing SA and getting your affairs in order with HMRC will only help your case in the long run. You should consider yourself lucky that HMRC haven't yet issued any penalties or counter penalties, which could put a mark against your name. That could be far more worse.

When you have paid the tax you shouldn't worry and simply file SA, it's merely a statement to state how you stand over the year gone by with your own tax matters. I'm sure your accountant if you have one would be of help. Above all it's the law and every self employed person has to do it.

You would be required to provide documentation for ILR with relation to your tax matters, and at the citizenship stage HO does a complete Background check with a government agencies and departments.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

Neo001
Newly Registered
India

Post by Neo001 » Sun May 27, 2018 9:34 pm

Thank you very much for the advice, I appreciate it. I will be getting in touch with my accountants this week. I only realized this when I read in the newspaper that a scientist's ILR has been refused due to late SA.

Now once I have filed my SA and paid the amount dues and penalty. How does HO see my Spouse ILR case?. Is there a chance of rejection because of the late SA and penalty?.

Should I get a solicitor to look at my application?

Anybody had any case like this?.
Late SA on record and spouse ILR?

Please help.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by dontringthebell » Tue May 29, 2018 12:57 pm

Neo001 wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:34 pm
Thank you very much for the advice, I appreciate it. I will be getting in touch with my accountants this week. I only realized this when I read in the newspaper that a scientist's ILR has been refused due to late SA.

Now once I have filed my SA and paid the amount dues and penalty. How does HO see my Spouse ILR case? Do you mean your spouse or your application as a spouse of a British citizen?. Is there a chance of rejection because of the late SA and penalty?. I suggest you get this cleared ASAP. Also, when you make the application mention the same happened in genuine error and you settled immediately. As this is the first time and if you explain convincingly, HMRC might as well revoke the penalty. Your accountant should know that. There is no clear direction, there are people fighting such cases and their people where HO didn't flinch an eye.

Should I get a solicitor to look at my application? you can always do that, but he cant make it any better is what I think

Anybody had any case like this?.
Late SA on record and spouse ILR?
I was in a similar situation not same though. british-citizenship/regarding-hmrc-pena ... 55356.html

Please help.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

Neo001
Newly Registered
India

Post by Neo001 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:24 pm

Hi
Thanks for your input. To answer your questions:
Do you mean your spouse or your application as a spouse of a British citizen?
It’s my application as a spouse of a British citizen.

I spoke to my accountant and he has now registered me for a UTR, once that comes through I can file the SA. Out of the 2 years of SA due only the latest SA will have some dividends , the first year will be nil submission.

It was a genuine mistake on my part. I never knew of this and now I feel so scared.
I was busy building my business and paid hundred of thousand in company taxes to HMRC but never realised SA. :(

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by dontringthebell » Wed May 30, 2018 8:51 pm

Neo001 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:24 pm
Hi
Thanks for your input. To answer your questions:
Do you mean your spouse or your application as a spouse of a British citizen?
It’s my application as a spouse of a British citizen.fine

I spoke to my accountant and he has now registered me for a UTR, once that comes through I can file the SA. Out of the 2 years of SA due only the latest SA will have some dividends , the first year will be nil submission.it doesn't matter whether you take dividend or not, SA is to declare what happened over the last year and must be filed.

It was a genuine mistake on my part. I never knew of this and now I feel so scared.
I was busy building my business and paid hundred of thousand in company taxes to HMRC but never realised SA. :( one way is to declare in a cover letter what happened, when you apply for citizenship.

Neo001
Newly Registered
India

ILR : Income declaration

Post by Neo001 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:09 pm

Hi,
i read it in one of the topic where someone advised that if the financial requirement is met by Spouse's income then you need not mention your income. Is that true?

I am a British citizen's spouse and due to apply for ILR next year in Feb. My partner earns 28k/annum and i earn 25k/annum. Do i have to mention my income if i meet their financial requirement through my spouse's income?.

I will really appreciate any help.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: ILR : Income declaration

Post by Casa » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:51 am

Neo001 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:09 pm
Hi,
i read it in one of the topic where someone advised that if the financial requirement is met by Spouse's income then you need not mention your income. Is that true? Yes

I am a British citizen's spouse and due to apply for ILR next year in Feb. My partner earns 28k/annum and i earn 25k/annum. Do i have to mention my income if i meet their financial requirement through my spouse's income?. No

(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:02 am

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Neo001
Newly Registered
India

Post by Neo001 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:15 am

Casa wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:51 am
Neo001 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:09 pm
Hi,
i read it in one of the topic where someone advised that if the financial requirement is met by Spouse's income then you need not mention your income. Is that true? Yes

I am a British citizen's spouse and due to apply for ILR next year in Feb. My partner earns 28k/annum and i earn 25k/annum. Do i have to mention my income if i meet their financial requirement through my spouse's income?. No

Thank you for your help.

But will they do checks on my record as normal despite not providing any of my income details?.
I have filed a late SA for 2 years, they were all nil payments but I am afraid if that will affect my ILR (British Spouse FLR (M)). application.

Thank You

Neo001
Newly Registered
India

Post by Neo001 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:56 am

Hi
So I had a meeting with an immigration solicitor and he advised me that the case worker will only be concerned with my British Spouse’s earnings and that it meets the minimum financial requirements. The case worker will not be concerned with my earning (unless my spouse don’t meet the financial requirement , which he does). I mentioned him about my late SA for 2 years and he said that because it is not a criminal offence they cannot refuse my ILR under the good character requirement.
Now I have read posts here on this forum where people’s ILR have been refused because of filing late SA but they have all been Tier 1 applicants. I have not read one case where a British spouse bing refused under sec 322 or good character.
Does that mean I can breathe a sigh of relief?.
I filed my Late SA to HMRC and I owed them less than £5 in tax but they sent me a penalty of £1500 purely based on filing late SA. I will speak to my accountants if we can appeal this.
My ILR is due feb 2019. Any experience or advice will be highly appreciated.

Thank you

aman90
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by aman90 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:01 pm

I filed my Late SA to HMRC and I owed them less than £5 in tax but they sent me a penalty of £1500 purely based on filing late SA. I will speak to my accountants if we can appeal this.

Self assessment reminders are sent out to home address six months before submission every year. This is also something that your accountant should have advised you and submitted on your behalf as the company is responsible for paying directors/employee tax. In the end the onus is on us not the accountants. Fingers crossed, all will be well!