ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Humanitarian Protection or Discretionary Leave???

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nasjam

Humanitarian Protection or Discretionary Leave???

Post by nasjam » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 am

Hello all

I just come across to this forum and I am really happy.

I am a bit confuse of the status I have got. I would like to ask experts who knows about humanitarian protection and discretionary leave to help me with this matter.

I claimed asylum in 2004 and I was granted "Humanitarian protection" or "Discretionary Leave", I am not sure. The letter says as below.

"
GRANT OF HUMANITARIAN PROTECTION

You have been granted Humanitarian Protection in the United Kingdom, which is a discretionary grant of leave to remain in the United Kingdom for reason not covered by the Immigration Rules.

You have been granted this leave in accordance with the published Home Office Asylum Policy Instruction on Humanitarian Protection.

......................... and the letter goes on.............................

Please note that the Title says Humanitarian protection but than in description it says " this is a discretionary leave..

I dont know what leave is that. could you all experts help me out pleaseeee

thanks in advance, looking forward to hear from you
Last edited by nasjam on Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tasha75
Member of Standing

Re: Humanitarian Protection or Discretionary Leave

Post by tasha75 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:29 am

I am not an expert but I think it's a Humanitarian protection.The word discretionary in this case is just a description /explanation of how this leave is granted.
Do not live your life in fear.

Twin
Member of Standing

Post by Twin » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:51 am

nasjam wrote:Hello all

I just come across to this forum and I am really happy.

I am a bit confuse of the status I have got. I would like to ask experts who knows about humanitarian protection and discretionary leave to help me with this matter.

I claimed asylum in 2004 and I was granted "Humanitarian protection" or "Discretionary Leave", I am not sure. The letter says as below.

"
GRANT OF HUMANITARIAN PROTECTION

You have been granted Humanitarian Protection in the United Kingdom, which is a discretionary grant of leave to remain in the United Kingdom for reason not covered by the Immigration Rules.

You have been granted this leave in accordance with the published Home Office Asylum Policy Instruction on Humanitarian Protection.

......................... and the letter goes on.............................

Please note that the Title says Humanitarian protection but than in description it says " this is a discretionary leave..

I dont know what leave is that. could you all experts help me out pleaseeee

thanks in advance, looking forward to hear from you
Humanitarian Protection usually carries ILR as it's an absolute right but seeing that they mentioned Discretionary, I hope they won't be giving just 3 years.

tasha75
Member of Standing

Post by tasha75 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:13 pm

Twin wrote: Humanitarian Protection usually carries ILR as it's an absolute right but seeing that they mentioned Discretionary, I hope they won't be giving just 3 years.
It seems that both HP and DLR are granted for 3 years initially. The difference is after 3 years on HP you are eligible for ILR, while on DLR you'll need 6 years altogether.

HP should be granted for up to 3 years, less in specific cases as directed. If at
the end of 3 years, following an active review, it is decided that further
protection is needed, a claimant will usually receive ILR. If protection is no
longer needed and a person has no other basis of stay in the UK they will be
expected to leave.

However, in another document it says:

7. DURATION OF HUMANITARIAN PROTECTION
Where Humanitarian Protection has been granted under
paragraph 339C of the Immigration Rules, leave should be
granted for a period of five years
(339E).
People who have completed five years’ Humanitarian Protection
leave will be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain
(ILR), also known as settlement.

Confused?
Do not live your life in fear.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:24 pm

To the OP...

You have been granted Humanitarian Protection!

Like Tasha75 has explained, the word 'discretionary' is just an explanation of how the leave has been granted.

nasjam

Post by nasjam » Thu May 01, 2008 2:18 am

Many thanks to Tasha, Twin and Rozen for taking time out to answer my question. If thats true and I got Humanitarian Protection than I am happy :)

mannyyyyyyyy thanksssssssssssss