ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can the bank access my bank records after I submit the documents?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

CloudyNow
Turkey

Can the bank access my bank records after I submit the documents?

Post by CloudyNow » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:49 am

I printed my bank statements the day before my appointment and they show a hefty sum of money. Soon I need to pay my next rent installment (for 6 months - price to pay for being an international student with no UK-based guarantor) which means most of that money will be gone. Does the embassy have any way of knowing that I spent that money after I submit the application?

Just to be clear, the documents I provided are completely legitimate so this is NOT a case of me freaking out over false documents. I simply want to know whether they can get any more information from my bank apart from the fact that I have an account with them.

gokulatti
Member of Standing
Norway

Re: Can the bank access my bank records after I submit the documents?

Post by gokulatti » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:05 pm

banks are not obliged to give out your bank details due to data protection law subject to the country in question. if you are asking if the immigration officer can just take his phone and call your bank to ask what is the balance of this account today, the answer is no. they have to go through the process of request called ' status check' usually takes time.

However banks are obliged to check the authenticity of any documents already given i.e the statement you already provided to them. Usually when the IO is in doubt he/she would just send YOU request to provide latest bank statements/last 6 months-12 months to check the average balance of your account. If it was your money and you spent it for the purposes that you said is to be used you shouldn't worry so much.

CloudyNow
Turkey

Post by CloudyNow » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:18 pm

gokulatti wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:05 pm
banks are not obliged to give out your bank details due to data protection law subject to the country in question. if you are asking if the immigration officer can just take his phone and call your bank to ask what is the balance of this account today, the answer is no. they have to go through the process of request called ' status check' usually takes time.

However banks are obliged to check the authenticity of any documents already given i.e the statement you already provided to them. Usually when the IO is in doubt he/she would just send YOU request to provide latest bank statements/last 6 months-12 months to check the average balance of your account. If it was your money and you spent it for the purposes that you said is to be used you shouldn't worry so much.
I am financially supported by my father who transferred this money for my rent payment. He is sending more as cash through my mom who is flying here next week. As you can imagine this is a complicated situation that the embassy will likely make no effort to understand so I'd like to avoid having to explain it, even though everything I'm doing is legitimate.

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:27 pm

Are you in the UK and applying for a Schengen visa?
CloudyNow wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:18 pm
gokulatti wrote:

I am financially supported by my father who transferred this money for my rent payment. He is sending more as cash through my mom who is flying here next week. As you can imagine this is a complicated situation that the embassy will likely make no effort to understand so I'd like to avoid having to explain it, even though everything I'm doing is legitimate.

CloudyNow
Turkey

Post by CloudyNow » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:08 pm

Caravel88 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:27 pm
CloudyNow wrote:
gokulatti wrote:

Yes and I am Turkish too. Do you know how long it takes the German embassy to respond?

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:20 am

If you are in the UK as a student and applying for a Schengen visa, the embassy will not care about your bank account as long as you show that you have the means to support yourself during your trip.

There is no need to "explain" them anything.

I have no idea about the current waiting times.
However I'd assume that it's longer than whatever the usual is given the time of year.
CloudyNow wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:08 pm
Caravel88 wrote:
CloudyNow wrote:
gokulatti wrote:

Yes and I am Turkish too. Do you know how long it takes the German embassy to respond?

CloudyNow
Turkey

Post by CloudyNow » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:40 pm

CloudyNow wrote:
Caravel88 wrote:
CloudyNow wrote:
gokulatti wrote:

I got a 3 month visa! :D Really happy about it. When I made the application I booked a really cheap hostel and put it as my reservation proof. Now I made a non-refundable booking at a better hotel. I want to cancel the cheap hostel booking now but I'm paranoid the embassy will think it was a sham booking if they check with the hostel. I understand why it would seem that way, but it's really not. How do I make sure this doesn't happen?

CloudyNow
Turkey

Post by CloudyNow » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:45 pm

Caravel88 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:20 am
If you are in the UK as a student and applying for a Schengen visa, the embassy will not care about your bank account as long as you show that you have the means to support yourself during your trip.

There is no need to "explain" them anything.

I have no idea about the current waiting times.
However I'd assume that it's longer than whatever the usual is given the time of year.
CloudyNow wrote:
Caravel88 wrote:
CloudyNow wrote:

I got a 3 month visa! :D Really happy about it. When I made the application I booked a really cheap hostel and put it as my reservation proof. Now I made a non-refundable booking at a better hotel. I want to cancel the cheap hostel booking now but I'm paranoid the embassy will think it was a sham booking if they check with the hostel. I understand why it would seem that way, but it's really not. How do I make sure this doesn't happen?