ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 Aplication with Absent Father & Expired Passports :(

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

o0mairym0o
Newly Registered

MN1 Aplication with Absent Father & Expired Passports :(

Post by o0mairym0o » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi there!
I would like to begin the naturalisation application process for myself and my daughter. We have been living in the UK for nearly 8 years and we were both granted ILR in 2011 but I after reading the guides I've come across two possible problems:
1. Both our Venezuelan passports have expired. I could renew mine but not my daughter's as for that we would need to travel to Venezuela and that is not an option at present due to the situation there.
2. I have not had any contact with her father since 2013. He has not been in touch and I don't have any contact details for him and he is currently in Venezuela, to the best of my knowledge.
I have full custody of our daughter but according to Venezuelan law we still share parental rights.
So basically, my question is: what is the likelihood of our applications being successful under the above circumstances?
I'm a bit reluctant to apply as it isn't cheap and should our applications be rejected I would need to come up with another £1,600 to try again!
Thank you ever so much for your help!
Best wishes,
Mai

noajthan

Re: MN1 Aplication with Absent Father & Expired Passports :(

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:22 pm

Minors are registered not naturalised.

1) Any option to renew passport via embassy?

Any other forms of id or supporting documents for child:
  • birth certificate?
    baptism certificate?
Otherwise make a good case why passport renewal is not possible for reasons that are out of your hands.

2) Registration of a minor in such circumstances is at Home Secretary's discretion anyway; section 3(1) of BNA.

You need to make strong case that:
  • you have custody;
    you are de facto sole parent;
    you are mentor, guide, financial supporter of child;
    you have tried/failed to make contact with father;
    you have no means to communicate/obtain consent;
    father has little or no interest in this child/family;
    no history of father's support/interest;
    despite nominal responsibility, father plays no part in support and /or major decisions for child;
    child is integrated into UK life (school/friends etc);
    child wishes to make a life in UK (if old enough to express a view);
    child's future lies in UK;
See HO guidance on such cases:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 150402.pdf

Its not easy but it can be done.
I have done this (successfully) - despite initial setbacks and battles with UKVI/HO.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

o0mairym0o
Newly Registered

Post by o0mairym0o » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:42 pm

Thank you so much noajthan for getting back to me!
Unfortunately, I cannot renew my daughter's passport as I would need to go to Venezuela so an ID card can be issued for her and then apply for renewal once we are back, but I daren't go back due to the situation there at present.
Rd: the father, I can't get hold of him and the last time we saw him was in January 2013 on our last visit back and since then we've had no contact. He has never been part in of her life or upbringing.
I really appreciate your help!
Thanks again!
Best wishes,
M

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:35 pm

o0mairym0o wrote:Thank you so much noajthan for getting back to me!
Unfortunately, I cannot renew my daughter's passport as I would need to go to Venezuela so an ID card can be issued for her and then apply for renewal once we are back, but I daren't go back due to the situation there at present.
Rd: the father, I can't get hold of him and the last time we saw him was in January 2013 on our last visit back and since then we've had no contact. He has never been part in of her life or upbringing.
I really appreciate your help!
Thanks again!
Best wishes,
M
Not sure what you can do about passport except try. At least its not cancelled.

As to father, just explain all the circumstances in a cogent cover letter: no contact; no support.

If you work through the linked guidance you'll see what caseworker will be looking for.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

lasislas
Newly Registered
Venezuela

Post by lasislas » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:55 pm

Hi Mai, have you situation being solve, I'm having problem with my passport too I try to find answer but it isn't easy, my passport already expired I applied for a new one last year and nothing yet I'm worry because I have to renew my visa on February next year and I don't know if the Home Office will accept my expired passport, any help will be appreciated.

thank you

Bri

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:49 am

lasislas wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:55 pm
Hi Mai, have you situation being solve, I'm having problem with my passport too I try to find answer but it isn't easy, my passport already expired I applied for a new one last year and nothing yet I'm worry because I have to renew my visa on February next year and I don't know if the Home Office will accept my expired passport, any help will be appreciated.

thank you

Bri
This topic is almost two years old and the user 'mai' has not logged into the forum or posted since September 2016.

Kindly start your own topic with your circumstances and questions.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.