ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR English requirement confusion

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

drrushabh
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

ILR English requirement confusion

Post by drrushabh » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:19 pm

Hello All,

I will be applying for ILR with my wife and regarding her English requirement, I am little confused.

The govt site https://www.gov.uk/english-language/degrees-in-english says that:
If your degree isn’t from a UK university, you’ll need your original degree certificate and one of the following:

- an original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English

- an original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except Canada)
My question: What is UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree? Is it Statement of Comparability that NARIC provides? https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/Individuals/Default.aspx

She had obtained Statment of Comparability in 2012 which states the following:
Country of qualification: India
Title of Award: Bachelor of Engineering
Awarding Institution: Mumbai University
Year of Completion: 2009
Assessment: Is comparable to British Bachelor degree standard
If my understanding is correct then all we need is a letter from her university saying that her degree was taught in English.

Please help me understand this better.

Many thanks,

R

apsk
Member of Standing
India

Re: ILR English requirement confusion

Post by apsk » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:17 pm

Yes. You will need a letter for English from University/College as well. Then you will need Assessment of English language confirming CEFR Level B1 and above from NARIC, which may cost something around £60.

drrushabh
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by drrushabh » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:44 am

Thank you. Yesterday I applied through RED route on UK NARIC for settlement and the fees was about £152. I submitted her degree certificate, transcript and letter from University. Hopefully, that should be enough.

sparkyram
Mood:
India

Post by sparkyram » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:45 pm

drrushabh wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:44 am
Thank you. Yesterday I applied through RED route on UK NARIC for settlement and the fees was about £152. I submitted her degree certificate, transcript and letter from University. Hopefully, that should be enough.

Do we really need to get the letter from UK NARIC ? As the guidance clearly says, either You need a UK degree orif the degree is not from UK university, you need to submit the degree certificate plus letter from university stating that the degree has been taught in english..

So do we still need a UK NARIC letter if we have a letter from our university ?

drrushabh
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by drrushabh » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:23 pm

Yes, you still need NARIC certificate, it says on SET(O) form and on the link I posted in my post above.