ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 student Inform Changes to both Police and Home Office?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sk1606
Newly Registered
Brazil

Tier 4 student Inform Changes to both Police and Home Office?

Post by sk1606 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:43 am

Hi,

I’m a Tier 4 student in the UK. When I arrived last year I was in a temporary address. I registered with the police and updated my details with them and the university when I moved to my permanent one.

Now, I will move again, as I will stay my last months here in London. When asking the international issues department at my Uni if I had to register my changes in London, I was also told that I had to use an online form to inform the Home Office directly.

I was not aware of this at all, so now I’m left wondering if this is mandatory, as in I breached my conditions when I failed to send this form when I first moved, or if this is more of a “it’s good if you do it, but not law” thing. At the UKCISA website updating the address with this form is under a “good practice” section and is worded to be more a suggestion as it would make it easier for the HO to contact you. There is also no apparent time limit to this anywhere that I can find, unlike the police certificate updates with the 7 day limit.

I also remember especifically asking the police officers if I needed to do anything else after updating my address and they said no. However the way the staff from the department at Uni worded it made it seem like it needs to be done. So I’m extremely confused and would like to know if I messed up and need to include this in any other visa applications I might make. Any help is highly appreciated!

equitydealer
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Re: Tier 4 student Inform Changes to both Police and Home Office?

Post by equitydealer » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:19 pm

You need to inform the Home Office using their address change form, your uni is correct.
My comments do not constitute immigration advice, if in doubt consult an immigration adviser/solicitor

sk1606
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by sk1606 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:26 pm

equitydealer wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:19 pm
You need to inform the Home Office using their address change form, your uni is correct.

I have since done so, using the online form. Better late than never, I guess. Do you know if there is any time limit, like with the police registration? My main concern is that this could affect any other visa applications of mine in the future.

equitydealer
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by equitydealer » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:08 pm

Not sure about time limits, maybe someone else can comment.

The only point where this might come up is in an application where you fill in your previous and current addresses, and the dates you stayed at those places.
My comments do not constitute immigration advice, if in doubt consult an immigration adviser/solicitor

marcnath
United Kingdom

Post by marcnath » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:54 pm

sk1606 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:26 pm
equitydealer wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:19 pm

I have since done so, using the online form. Better late than never, I guess. Do you know if there is any time limit, like with the police registration? My main concern is that this could affect any other visa applications of mine in the future.
I doubt it would impact any future applications. I forgot to update my address change though I had moved 18 months before my ILR application.

The only real risk is if there was any communication from HO that needed action from you. Those would have gone to the old address.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.