ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help regarding EU for Nationality Application

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

faughan
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Help regarding EU for Nationality Application

Post by faughan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi all! I've been here since 2007. I haven't applied for PR, as I don't have five years of continuously employment as two of the companies I worked for closed down. Anyway, I intend to apply for Settled Status as soon as we are able to do so. Since they are going to stop issuing PR... if I want to apply for the nationality in the nearest future, will the Settled Status + Life in the UK, English test, passport and docs to proof I've been living here for 10+ years be enough? I've been reading the UK Gov site and as far as I understand, there's no requirement of being working continuously in order to apply for the nationality.... Am I right? Thank you!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Help regarding EU for Nationality Application

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:22 pm

Economic activity is not a requirement for naturalisation.

Re. application with settled status, the "Statement of Intent" says:

7.7. Holders of settled status (indefinite leave to remain) under the scheme will be able
to apply for British citizenship if they wish and otherwise meet the requirements for this:
• Immediately, if they are the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen (and they have
been lawfully resident here for at least three years), or if they were granted
• 12 months after the date on which they acquired the right of permanent residence
under the Free Movement Directive, as evidenced by a document certifying
permanent residence or a permanent residence card, issued by the UK under the
EEA Regulations; or
• Otherwise, 12 months after the date on which they were granted indefinite leave to
remain under the scheme.

Read the full document: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... e_2018.pdf

Note that the document is not a statement of law! By the time it is enacted wording and meaning might be different.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.