ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice a Novice, puhleese!

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

deacon1blues
Newly Registered

Advice a Novice, puhleese!

Post by deacon1blues » Fri May 02, 2008 10:46 am

All,

Good day! I am reposting my query as the first time no one answered it! It will be great if you can just give me your opinion on my situation.

How is my query SO different?

1. I don't have an IT background - actually an MBA working with a leading Bank
2. Most important: I dont have a great deal of experience (14 months) - however because of the nature of the organization and the team I am in, I can say I have had GOOD enriching experience in Ops, Marketing and a bit of tech based business
3. I am not looking to move to UK to SAVE a great deal, although I have a need to send some back home, MONEY is not the aim, but a necessity I guess

I am moving in June and will start to submit my CVs online and through agents. Have managed to garner 600 pounds for the first month in UK. I am open to working part-time to keep myself afloat.

Can you please help me with the following questions:

1. What I expect in UK? Can I be choosy with industries (I am looking for a change in the industry)
2. Given a decent CV (very strong acads, good extra-currics and leadership, good work ex) how long should it take for me to get a job (an idea?)?
3. What is the kind of remuneration I can hope for?
4. MOST IMPORTANT: How possible is the option of Temp-ing for a while, say a period of 6 months so that I get an understanding of the market, the kul-chah and UK in general so that I can appreciate my options better.

I would highly appreciate any, ANY, reply, and sorry for shouting, GIVEN MY POSTS ATTRACT NO BEES, I WILL TREAT ANY USEFUL RESPONDER WITH KEBABS AND SAMOSAS :-)

Help would be highly appreciated guys. Thanks a lot

cheers, dB

pranjam

Post by pranjam » Fri May 02, 2008 8:48 pm

Hi,

I am in IT and so can provide some information from this perspective.

A1. UK people worry a lot about industry if you do have solid exp of one industry you will find it easier in getting through that one rather than starting with a new industry.

A2. To be honest I thought I had a very strong CV it used to take me 2-3 days to land interviews with big MNCs in India and even here almost each and every Recruitment agent mentioned that I had a "very good CV". Even then it took me exactly 1 month to find a job although an interviews that I had given just 1 week after landing in UK they also offered me a job but it took them 20 days to decide So it depends when you get a job in UK you may get one in 1 week and it may take 2 months Permanent jobs generally take atleast 10-12 days.

A3.Sorry no idea about your line

A4. I thought of that too but unfortunately it seems that because of the credit crunch there are not many contractual jobs in the mkt right now infact most of the contractors whom I came to know who had been contracting for 5 years i uk were either jobless or in a permanent job.

Again I'll like to mention the above is all my exp not a generalization you may find things different when you come here

deacon1blues
Newly Registered

Thanks and More

Post by deacon1blues » Mon May 05, 2008 8:30 am

pranjam wrote:Hi,

I am in IT and so can provide some information from this perspective.

A1. UK people worry a lot about industry if you do have solid exp of one industry you will find it easier in getting through that one rather than starting with a new industry.

A2. To be honest I thought I had a very strong CV it used to take me 2-3 days to land interviews with big MNCs in India and even here almost each and every Recruitment agent mentioned that I had a "very good CV". Even then it took me exactly 1 month to find a job although an interviews that I had given just 1 week after landing in UK they also offered me a job but it took them 20 days to decide So it depends when you get a job in UK you may get one in 1 week and it may take 2 months Permanent jobs generally take atleast 10-12 days.

A3.Sorry no idea about your line

A4. I thought of that too but unfortunately it seems that because of the credit crunch there are not many contractual jobs in the mkt right now infact most of the contractors whom I came to know who had been contracting for 5 years i uk were either jobless or in a permanent job.

Again I'll like to mention the above is all my exp not a generalization you may find things different when you come here
Thanks a lot pranjam for the reply.

What I meant by a temporary job is not something contractual (for a few months or years), but cash-on-hand kind of jobs, which need not be the ones in McDonald's and the likes. How about stuff like Media Internships, Market Research kind of jobs which gives me an option of working for X hours a day while I continue with my job search.

This is in line with a suggestion I received: To do temp jobs for around 6 months or so so that I garner UK experience and gain some knowledge into the kind of industry I might want to get into in a permanent role.

Any ideas or experiences of this nature?

Help would be highly appreciated

cheers, dB