ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

U.S. Marriage certificate- legalize in Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cmattefs
Newly Registered
United States of America

U.S. Marriage certificate- legalize in Ireland

Post by cmattefs » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:24 am

I'm a Non-EU (American citizen but with permanent residence in Spain) and my fiance (we are getting married in US in August) is Spanish and working in Dublin. I want to move from Spain to Dublin to be with him. We will be applying for my spousal residency here with the EU1 Form. My question is, before we submit all documents to apply for my visa, do we first need to register our U.S. marriage certificate somewhere?

Thank you!

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Re: U.S. Marriage certificate- legalize in Ireland

Post by PasadenaTom » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:43 pm

The EU1 Instructions document states that

When submitting documents please note the following:
1. All documents submitted must be photocopies.
3. Marriage certificates and birth certificates should be photocopied in colour and should include any Apostilles or legalisation

So I think this means you should have the original available if it is requested. I would expect that civil marriage certificates issued by a U.S. city, county, or state should already have an official stamp or watermark on them to indicate that they are "legalised". So if this is what you mean by registered, the document is likely OK as long as it is an original document.

BTW, I think the term "original" is often misunderstood. It does not mean a document that was issued at the time the event happened (birth, marriage, etc.). It means an original document that was issued by an official agency - and it could have been issued many years after the fact. For example, I recently obtained my grandfather's birth certificate from Ireland. But the document I received is still an original, because it was issued by the government - even though it was issued 120 years after he was born.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Form%20E ... eaflet.pdf

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Re: U.S. Marriage certificate- legalize in Ireland

Post by PasadenaTom » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:13 am

I meant to include this from the instructions:

No original documents should be sent with your application form, however you may be requested to submit original documents during the course of your application. Any original documents which are requested will be returned to you by Registered Post at the end of the application process.

So you should be sure you have the original document available in case they request it.