ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

College removed from DFES List.Can someone help?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

desnetk

College removed from DFES List.Can someone help?

Post by desnetk » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:41 pm

Hi,

I've got my student visa extended as MSc student in one of the private college.This is 2 year programme and I have to renew my visa next month for the 2nd year. But I got to know the college has been removed from DFES list and I have no idea how I can extend the visa for the 2nd year. The college is still operating even it's has been removed from the list.

my question is if I'm going to extend the visa for my 2nd year with same college will my visa get rejected as the college is banned..

please someone give me a sensible reply....thanks..

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:23 pm

I got to know the college has been removed from DFES list
In what sense did you get to know? Have you actually checked the list? Have you discussed this with the college concerned?
John

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:01 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

desnetk

Post by desnetk » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:23 pm

I've talked to the college and they said college will transfer there students to some other college.apparently this new college has started January this year and been managed by the same people as previous college. but this new college is under the DFES list. problem is the new college does not offer any Mastes Degree.
In what sense did you get to know? Have you actually checked the list?
I checked the list and the college name was there when I first get the visa and now it's been removed.

this new college [even though the same people as the previous colleges] suggest me that they can provide me with the certificate as I've already done 1years with the previous college. what should I do now. is it a good idea to consult a immigration solicitor in this case than get my visa refused..

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:44 pm

Hello desnetk

I would ask myself if I want to go to a college that is run by the same people that had their other college taken off the register.

If you are an MSc student on the London External programme I would have thought it would be easy to transfer to another college.

If you are on an unrecognised MSc like Dublin Metropolitan University/Pebble Hills/University of New Castle/West Coast University/Irish International University/Atlantic International......etc, perhaps that explains why they were removed.

If you apply for an extension with the same college - ie the one that is no longer on the register - I am sure your application will be refused. As it is, maybe they will scrutinise your extenion application a bit more than usual whatever you do.

Have you been attending college & do you think the teaching and facilities are up to scratch, enough to go to their other college?

If you change course, you could run into problems because you will not be able to show that you have been progressing in your studies.

Only you can decide.

Regards

PP

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:45 pm

desnetk wrote: this new college [even though the same people as the previous colleges] suggest me that they can provide me with the certificate as I've already done 1years with the previous college. what should I do now. is it a good idea to consult a immigration solicitor in this case than get my visa refused..
Do you mean that they said they would give you the certificate of completion of a masters degree even though you haven't completed it? If so, that is very dodgy.

I do feel for you and many others like you. I don't know how much the DfES (or whatever they are called now) are doing to help students who have fallen for bogus colleges that they thought were genuine (and maybe even checked that were DfES registered). People are losing money, time and effort on nothing, and they may not even be allowed to stay in the country after all their effort.

desnetk

Post by desnetk » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:46 am

anyone has thoughts on this? please guys give me a little hand...

iceman010899

Post by iceman010899 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:08 am

hi

Find a college ASAP that offers the same course. Find out why they were removed from the list in the first place.

ANYONE ELSE - Is it compulsory to notify the BIA if you change colleges ?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:23 am

iceman010899 wrote:hi

Find a college ASAP that offers the same course. Find out why they were removed from the list in the first place.

ANYONE ELSE - Is it compulsory to notify the BIA if you change colleges ?
I don't think it is but I know if it was me I would prefer to anyway.

But I think you do have to notify them if you materially change the type of course that means you wouldn't have been granted the visa in the first place, ie having done a Bachelors degree, obtained an extension for Masters, then changed to a Bachelors in an unrelated field. I think this is what the perennial students do to rack up ten years!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

desnetk

Post by desnetk » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:21 am

I completed my first degree with a reputed university and started the MSc with this college as it's cost is lower than the MSc in university. however even though I know it's dodgy what are the chances I can apply for IGS using the certificates this other college provide me with. well I know it might not the legitimate way, but do I have any other options?

iceman010899

Post by iceman010899 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:09 am

hi

Yes, if you change courses you have to notify them. Check if the qualifications obtained are authorized by the government, I think.

You can explain to BIA that you didnt know it was bogus, and that you had to change colleges. Dont think it will be a problem for the IGS application as long as you can explain yourself in a cover letter and you havent broken the rules by working more than 20 hours.

desnetk

Post by desnetk » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:44 am

Check if the qualifications obtained are authorized by the government
yes the new college will give me the Masters certificate for the 1year I studied with the other college.the reason is obviously both colleges belong to same people. but the one I enrolled in the first place has been removed from the list. I assume that the new colleges will issue me a certificate saying that I've studied 1 year in their college and completed the MSc successfully.

HO doesn't know these 2 colleges are same and I think they will make a big fuzz about this. initially my MSc should last for 2 years.that's what my offer letter says.

is it a good idea to go for IGS with the certificate that I will get or try to find a college which will allow me to continue 2nd year of the MSc. please help me to decide the right way to do this

desnetk

Post by desnetk » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:13 am

guys guys...any thoughts would be appreciated...please

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:02 pm

desnetk

You must know that you cannot go for IGS with this masters! If the college will give you a certificate even though you have not finished your course, you must know it is a rubbish qualification - in fact a lie.

You have to have a recognised masters. You did not say who the awarding body is.

See the IDIs about the IGS

See if your awarding body is on the DIUS list for recognised UK degree awarding bodies.

If the awarding body is bogus, you may have problems transfering your course to another college. You will have to do some research.

You could also get in touch with trading standards if you want to complain about the college, they would be at the local council to the college.

What also may be relevant is when you got your recognised degree, you may be able to use it to get IGS - see the IDIs.

Regards

PP

desnetk

Post by desnetk » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:55 am

As far as I know the awarding body is recognized.in fact this is postgraduate diploma certificate. i really don't want to apply this way to be honest.but I really am desperate to know whether there is any alternative way to do this. I mean can I transfer to some other college at this point and continue the same course.can't I?

I've checked with couple universities and they wont accept this studies and wont let me join the ongoing January intake. anyone got any idea?

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:21 pm

desnetk

Curious and curiouser, it is recognised but universities won't accept your studies. It was a masters, but it is now a postgraduate diploma. It takes two years, but they will give you a certificate after one year.

You could transfer college. I do not know if you can carry on the same course, wouldn't that be up to the college?

Most colleges should be able to advise you about transfering your college & how to write to the HO.

Who is the awarding body?

Regards

PP

desnetk

Post by desnetk » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:39 pm

may be you didn't quite get my situation here. I started my studies with a college 2007 April. This is a 2 years MSc. initially HO gave me visa for 1 year.I have already finished 1 year and now in June I need to extend my visa for 2nd year.no problem until here

All started now because HO has taken out my college from their list leaving me in very very difficult situation. I've been to some universities and explain the situation and asked whether I can transfer to one of their ongoing February intake from my college. But the answer is NO because they already finished half of the first semester.since my visa expire on June there is no point enroll for the September intake as HO would ask me to go back and apply from my home country.

The awarding body for my MSc with college is British Computer Society. now the college says they can issue me a postgraduate Diploma for the 1 year I have finished. This is where I thought I can apply for IGS

but again I don't think a certificate issued by a college which has been taken out from the Dfes list would be acceptable by HO. they would reject my application straight away.

but as iceman010899 said since I haven't informed home office that I'm going to change the course don't you think it's kind of risky to transfer to different college at this point..

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:28 am

desnetk wrote:but as iceman010899 said since I haven't informed home office that I'm going to change the course don't you think it's kind of risky to transfer to different college at this point..
See also AIT's [url=http://www.ait.gov.uk/Public/Determinat ... px?Id=2030]ML (student; “satisfactory progressâ€
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

desnetk

Post by desnetk » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:45 am

Thanks for the document vinny.
Any transfer is then a matter solely between the student and the proposed educational institution to which transfer is sought. If that institution or the course (or course of study) does not satisfy the relevant Immigration Rules, then the Secretary of State’s remedy is either to curtail the individual’s leave under para 323(ii) of the Immigration Rules because he no longer meets the requirements of the (student) rules under which leave was granted
does this means that I can simply transfer to different college? I mean the college in question would give a letter explaining why I can't continue studies with them (not my problem as it's college issue) and allow me to transfer to different college. in this case HO can't argue that I haven't showed any progress towards my studies as I'm in the middle of my MSc and transferring to different college due to the fact that the college standards are poor.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:04 pm

It may be safer if you informed the UKBA and obtained their approval before changing courses.

desnetk

Post by desnetk » Mon May 05, 2008 8:12 pm

If you are on an unrecognised MSc like Dublin Metropolitan University/Pebble Hills/University of New Castle/West Coast University/Irish International University/Atlantic International.
wel I'm not sure about the other institutes you have mentioned here PaperPusher but University of Newcastle is recognized I suppose.

and any of you guys know about Wesminster College as I've seen very bad comment about that college.I'm trying to transfer into there MSc course and want to make sure the the college is legitimate before I do that.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue May 06, 2008 1:19 am

Assuming it is Westminster College with link http://www.wcc.co.uk.

An IT college with a web site that does not open?? …………!!

I think you are chasing rainbows. The paperwork from the "no longer registered college" is worthless.

You would be better off telling UKBA you were one of the victims and are actively seeking a new place of study. As long as you get a confirmed place before your visa expires for the start of the new education year there is every chance you will be granted a new visa. Things to consider:-

If it was deemed the previous college provided little or no teaching you may find yourself with a problem. The obvious question is - what did you do at the establishment and what record of achievement do you have? If it is seen that you were complicit with the providers / owners then you are likely to be heading home.

Do not get caught out again. Ensure the new prospective college that provides the course really provides teaching. There are many that take your money and provide very little. My advice is visit the establishment - if you can. Look for recommendations from the forums.

If you apply for another place at a "suspect" establishment, UKBA are not going to view the application with any confidence. The problem is that the "suspect" list is not a public document.

desnetk

Post by desnetk » Tue May 06, 2008 9:50 am

well, the www.wcc.co.uk down most of the time. I don't think this is a issue here. I've been to the college and it looks fine and they are listed under DFes as well.

But my concern is I've seen in this board someone posted very negative comment on Westminster College. But unfortunately I can't find that post.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Thu May 08, 2008 8:03 pm

Hello desnetk

You are right University of Newcastle (which is actually called University of Newcastle upon Tyne or Newcastle University officially) is recognised.

However, University of New Castle is not - see what they did there?

Good luck with the course

PP