ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of name during Tier 2 extension

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Halshimitzu

Change of name during Tier 2 extension

Post by Halshimitzu » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:58 am

Hi,

I am on a tier 2 dependent visa and my husband and I are about to extend our stay in the uk. Please how do I go about changing my surname to his as part of this process?

Thanks in anticipation

Hal

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Change of name during Tier 2 extension

Post by CR001 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:00 am

Have you changed your foreign passport??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Halshimitzu

Post by Halshimitzu » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:16 am

We both use Nigerian passports

Halshimitzu

Post by Halshimitzu » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:19 am

No, we have not change our foreign passport which still carries my maiden name.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:34 am

You will need to change your foreign passport first to your married name.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Halshimitzu

Post by Halshimitzu » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:59 am

My worry is that changing my foreign passport has to be done outside the uk. Would I be allowed back into the uk with a new name on a new passport different from that on my biometric permit?

Halshimitzu

Post by Halshimitzu » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:05 pm

CR001 please?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:09 pm

I am not familiar with Nigerian processes.

If you are not able to change your passport you will need to extend in your maiden name.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:32 am

Halshimitzu wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:59 am
My worry is that changing my foreign passport has to be done outside the uk. Would I be allowed back into the uk with a new name on a new passport different from that on my biometric permit?
You don't need to go outside UK to change your passport. You can make an application for Nigerian passport in the Nigeria High Commission in London for both new and renewal, including change of name.
The earlier you apply for the passport, the better as the process could take a couple of months.
You will need to visit https://portal.immigration.gov.ng to apply.
select London as your application place. once you have completed the application and made payment,
use the passport processing appointment system on http://www.nigeriahc.org.uk to book your appointment in London where you will submit the forms and get your biometrics done.

Some of the supporting documents are;
Old current passport
Marriage Certificate
Application form
receipt of payment
Letter of introduction/Authorisation from your husband confirming your maiden name and that he is aware and happy for you to take his surname.
Self-addressed envelop to send your passport if you don't live in London and don't want to go back for collection.

feel free to ask more questions here if you need more information. The bottom line is that you can renew your passport and change your name in the UK.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

Halshimitzu

Post by Halshimitzu » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:37 pm

Thank you for your detailed response. But I am 1 month away from extension of my tier 2 visa.

Should I change my passport to reflect the new name before application for extension of tier 2 visa?

Should I carry on with tier 2 extension and get a BRP using my current passport and old name before changing my name?

Can I get a BRP issued in my new name if I tender a deed poll/marriage certificate to UKVI if I have not got a passport in new name already?

Thanks

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:11 am

Halshimitzu wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:37 pm
Thank you for your detailed response. But I am 1 month away from extension of my tier 2 visa.

Should I change my passport to reflect the new name before application for extension of tier 2 visa?

Should I carry on with tier 2 extension and get a BRP using my current passport and old name before changing my name?

Can I get a BRP issued in my new name if I tender a deed poll/marriage certificate to UKVI if I have not got a passport in new name already?

Thanks
You can go ahead with your extension with current passport and maiden name. If you get a new passport after your extension, you will need to update UKVI and then submit all the required documents to change your name. A new BRP will be issued.

one more thing, are you still using your maiden name in other things you do? e.g which name is on your payslip, bank account, council tax etc? (just thinking about your supporting documents).If HMRC has a different name on record for you, it might be a good idea to update your name before the extension. if you have been using same /maiden name for everything, then you can easily update whenever you want (or when you have a new passport). Just my opinion
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.