ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship with EEA ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Citizenship with EEA ILR

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:35 am

Hello

I am new to this forum. I have a question. I searched a lot in the last days but couldn't find any definitive answer.

- I am going to apply for British Citizenship. I have an ILR (EEA route). For the ILR application 2 - 3 years ago, I had to submit tons of documents proving continuous residence and employment. A friend told me that for the citizenship, I don't have to send any further proof of employment and residence because I have the ILR.

What it is your experience with that? Should I just send the ILR or should I drop 60 payslips, P60s and some utility bills for good measure?

Thank you!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Citizenship with EEA ILR

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:16 am

You should submit the documents required by the AN application.
EEA PR is under EU regulations, citizenship under UK nationality law, different departments. That being said you do not need to provide "tons" of documents, my application had just eight pieces of paper. P60 is fine, or if you work for one employer a letter from them confirming employment would suffice. Utility bills wouldn't be acceptable.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:10 am

"You should submit the documents required by the AN application."

Thank you for stating the obvious :)

Utility bills are acceptable and often required as proof of address.

nidaulhaque
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by nidaulhaque » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:31 am

If you are eea national then you still need to prove 5 years residance from 2013 to 2018
But it's nothing to do where you had to prove continuous employment for past 5 years for your eea ilr
But if you non eea then your passport will cover 5 years of residance in that case you don't need to include any bills or government issue letter to prove your residance

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:35 am

Thank you :)

I am EEA. So even if have the ILR, I still need to prove residence from 2013 - 2018 by submitting a council tax documents or utility bills for that qualifying period.

My friend was non-EEA (India). I think this is why he didn't have to demonstrate residence when he applied for citizenship.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:38 am

Zerubbabel wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:35 am
Thank you :)

I am EEA. So even if have the ILR, I still need to prove residence from 2013 - 2018 by submitting a council tax documents or utility bills for that qualifying period.

My friend was non-EEA (India). I think this is why he didn't have to demonstrate residence when he applied for citizenship.
A Non EU citizen such as from India gets stamped in their passports when they travel in and out of the UK, which is why their passports are sufficient proof of residence. EU citizens do not get stamped so you have to provide evidence of residence.

Also, you hold PR under the EU rules and not ILR which is granted under the UK Immigration rules.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:44 am

Thank you CR001 for correcting me.

Yes, I do have a PR, no an-ILR. I got my PR after 5 years residence with exercise of Treaty Rights.

I have a letter from my employer plus water, electricity and council tax bills on my name. I am going to add them to the application to cover from July 2013 to July 2018.

I booked an appointment with the NCS. If they validate everything, I will immediately post the application.

There is some sense of urgency behind my application. Because I hold a German citizenship at the moment. I could lose it if I get the British citizenship after March 2019. Because Germany allows only to apply for citizenship of EU countries not non-EU.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:03 pm

NCS will post your application and return originals to you.
They may advise you that utility bills are not necessary or acceptable for AN application, as I pointed out earlier.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:06 pm

What would be then acceptable?

Because I always used them for immigration. Please enlight me if other types of documents are necessary to prove residence for the AN application.