ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP jobsearch?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Nalfa
Newly Registered

HSMP jobsearch?

Post by Nalfa » Mon May 05, 2008 9:24 pm

Hi everyone,

This forum is rather interesting and I'm sad to see so many frusturated people. Here is my situation I've been approved for HSMP last month and planning to apply for EC when I approach the sixth month (the letter is valid for 6 months so I'm going to use it).

Now I'm trying to look for a job from here through internet recruitment agencies, got several calls (no offers so far)... they discuss it with me saying, "Oh lovely we will forward your CV" and nothing.

Anyhow I'm looking for tips on securing an offer before moving, as I have a very well paid job and not very fond of leaving it and running to the UK to serve McDonalds. Any tips much appreciated.

yewhongwei79

Post by yewhongwei79 » Tue May 06, 2008 1:12 pm

Yes, DO NOT ever come to UK without a job offer, especially when you have a highly-paid job back in your home country. UK cost of living is getting higher and higher especially in the past one year, particularly reflected in petrol price and council tax.

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Tue May 06, 2008 1:49 pm

But how is he going to do that ?

Same CONUNDRUM will raise its ugly face again. Without a job offer, it's risky to migrate leaving behind a highly paid job in your home country but without being physically present in the UK, the agent won't even flip to the second page of your CV.

And Yes, the UK is one of the most expensive place to live in the world. Food prices, energy prices are soaring, thank God at least some sunny days are here, I can turn off the heaters...

Where you pay 1500 £ insurance + 200£ tax for your 500 £ car....

Nalfa
Newly Registered

Post by Nalfa » Tue May 06, 2008 1:52 pm

Thanks for the advice. Yeah thats for sure I'm very well paid but ready to give up some of the $$$ for life in the UK as I love the place. and as long as it gives me a decent life I'm ready for it.

Nalfa
Newly Registered

Post by Nalfa » Tue May 06, 2008 1:56 pm

SKUK wrote:But how is he going to do that ?

Same CONUNDRUM will raise its ugly face again. Without a job offer, it's risky to migrate leaving behind a highly paid job in your home country but without being physically present in the UK, the agent won't even flip to the second page of your CV.

And Yes, the UK is one of the most expensive place to live in the world. Food prices, energy prices are soaring, thank God at least some sunny days are here, I can turn off the heaters...

Exactly thats what I'm talking about, thanks. Indeed the main question is HOW?!?!? How can we do that, as I get calls from consultants and some of them tell me "Well if you're in the UK we will be able to set up an interview for you". Sure there is nothing that proves that if in UK they will even bother remembering me.

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Tue May 06, 2008 4:27 pm

Nafla, there are plenty jobs here if you have uk experience. I managed to find a job in my field a year ago, have been here 4 years in total, anyway, with that 1 year of uk experience just few days back I have been trying for a job change and believe me the phone does not stop ringing mate. And I am from non IT sector.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Tue May 06, 2008 4:44 pm

I think if you are from Non-IT then you are in niche area...Bring in IT now a days every 1 has some common skills,so now being in Non -It is an Adv(not disadv..)..

Nalfa
Newly Registered

Post by Nalfa » Tue May 06, 2008 6:45 pm

herts wrote:Nafla, there are plenty jobs here if you have uk experience. I managed to find a job in my field a year ago, have been here 4 years in total, anyway, with that 1 year of uk experience just few days back I have been trying for a job change and believe me the phone does not stop ringing mate. And I am from non IT sector.
Great to have a positive reponse, I'm non IT as well however will be 100% new to the UK, which means no UK experience at all. If I had any I wouldn't wait at all, would just grab my ticket and jump into the plane. So thanks, but you see the difference.

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Tue May 06, 2008 9:54 pm

Nafla, what field are you working in ?

yewhongwei79

Post by yewhongwei79 » Tue May 06, 2008 10:27 pm

It's not impossible. If one has very unique skill, they will get you over for an interview! (like I did).

I am not discouraging people to come to UK without a job offer. But I just wish they could think many more times before taking the steps. Simply because getting a job is a matter of luck as well on top of skills. Some people will get a job very fast, some people get it after 6 months, some people have to simply take any job.
If one still think that all these risks are worth taken for, no problem, this is their choice and it might/might not work out well!

Nalfa
Newly Registered

Post by Nalfa » Wed May 07, 2008 6:25 am

herts wrote:Nafla, what field are you working in ?
Herts, I'm an Accountant, a multilingual one :) though not sure if thats a plus in the UK, so the problem is that I'll be totally new to the UK and will have no UK experience at all, though I have some in MNC. Anyhow if you have any tips on how to do it will be appreciating it like hell. On the way did you relocate with no job offer. Stay in touch mate.

Oh and do check your Inbox from time to time :twisted:

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Wed May 07, 2008 11:05 am

yewhongwei79 wrote:

It's not impossible. If one has very unique skill, they will get you over for an interview! (like I did).

I am not discouraging people to come to UK without a job offer. But I just wish they could think many more times before taking the steps. Simply because getting a job is a matter of luck as well on top of skills. Some people will get a job very fast, some people get it after 6 months, some people have to simply take any job.
If one still think that all these risks are worth taken for, no problem, this is their choice and it might/might not work out well!
Dead right. Only if you are willing to take the risk, then one must take the step towards relocating to UK (or for that matter anywhere away from home). Of course, this doesn't apply to those who already have a job offer on hand before coming here.

deacon1blues
Newly Registered

Post by deacon1blues » Wed May 07, 2008 2:55 pm

Nalfa wrote:
herts wrote:Nafla, what field are you working in ?
Herts, I'm an Accountant, a multilingual one :) though not sure if thats a plus in the UK, so the problem is that I'll be totally new to the UK and will have no UK experience at all, though I have some in MNC. Anyhow if you have any tips on how to do it will be appreciating it like hell. On the way did you relocate with no job offer. Stay in touch mate.

Oh and do check your Inbox from time to time :twisted:
Hi Herts,

I am in a similar position - non IT background, with no UK experience (in fact with little experience of 14 months). Any piece of advice on how to go about with the job search, which agencies to talk to, etc.?

I am going to be in UK in June and look for a job. Can you share how you went about looking for a job?

Thanks a lot in advance mate.

cheers, dB

Nalfa
Newly Registered

Post by Nalfa » Wed May 07, 2008 3:55 pm

Hey mate,

Why the hell running into the frying pan, I think that waiting a bit is an excellent idea, isn’t it. I mean your visa is valid for 2 years looking for a job from your place is better than from the UK.

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Wed May 07, 2008 4:35 pm

deacon blues, in what field you have experience ?
If you are thinking of making uk your home then don't hesitate about jobs.
You can always get some uk qualification here if you find difficulty getting a job in uk with your experience. To be honest you will get interview but it depends upon how good you fare at the interview. I had been to one of the interview here and from the first question i was not able to answer, so i just said i think i'll walk out coz i dont think i can answer any questions.
It really depends how intellegent you are.

arsenalsri

Post by arsenalsri » Wed May 07, 2008 4:37 pm

Sure, you can wait for one year and if you still don't get a job, then even if you run into the frying pan and get a job, it will get difficult for you to get an extension.

I tried for 3 months after getting the EC and now in June, I am planning to move to UK to look for jobs. The simple forumla for getting a job is, you got to be at the right place at the right time.

Nalfa
Newly Registered

Post by Nalfa » Wed May 07, 2008 7:31 pm

Thats correct, but I didnt apply for my EC yet, I have the letter and will be waiting and looking for job till its almost expires, and if not then will do it the hard way, going to the UK without the job. As herts said it is a matter of your intelligence , if you're smart enough to impress them then you get the job!

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Wed May 07, 2008 7:57 pm

Nalfa, I am not an expert in accountancy field, but what i see is fields related to accountacy like book keeper, payroll, legal cashier. If you can get a break in these fields no matter if the money is less it will be good for you.

deacon1blues
Newly Registered

Post by deacon1blues » Thu May 08, 2008 7:10 am

Hi Nalfa,

The reasons for my move are aplenty. I am mainly looking for *experience* rather than only money and stability (well, experience largely non-professionally :))

So, I am willing to risk it a bit (a lot, I wish!), slog it out and have fun in the process. Guess it's just a matter of what one looks for in a move.

Also, I guess it is difficult to nail a job from outside UK unless one has "Geographically Agnostic" skills - like expertise in a specific software/ hardware platform, language etc. With my industry, geography and company specific knowledge and with only my "generic" skills transferable, I wonder why a company cannot find someone like me in UK without much difficulty.

QED my move.

Hi Herts,

Thanks for the encouraging words. I am presently working in an MNC Bank (Big brand name, to say the least). Actually I am thinking I will switch industries to try something else. Very eager about Media/ Arts/ Cultural industry.

Any ideas/ suggestions on where I should start looking?

Thanks a lot in advance, all.

cheers, dB

HSMP3000
Newly Registered

Post by HSMP3000 » Thu May 08, 2008 9:08 am

My candid advice is since you are still in employment in your country why not take a month leave then come to the UK to seek for employment and access the place for yourself instead on relying on what people are saying.

personally that is what I did,I'm presently in the UK on a month leave and would be going back to continue my job back home.I have seen it's not worth for me leaving my well paying job and coming here to do a job below my present job......so I have nothing to loose since I did not resign.

I'm not saying you cannot get a good job in the UK,but you have to note that the rates are not very high initially,so you have to be ready for some initial sacrifice.

Nalfa
Newly Registered

Post by Nalfa » Thu May 08, 2008 9:36 am

Hi herts,

As usual you’re 100% correct. What I’m planning to do is to take a lower step job and anyway I don’t believe I’ll begetting anywhere close to the same salary as here, in best cases I’ll be getting half of what I get here according to the job advertisements, but I’ve made my mind.

Hi Db,

Right they will not usually take you from overseas unless you have unique or at least high demand skills, but I’ll not loose anything by trying, right?

Hi HSMP,

That option is not for me, I made my mind to move to the UK no matter what happens and I would like to move for good.

HSMP3000
Newly Registered

Post by HSMP3000 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:08 am

Well when u come you would see that its not all you thought it is.You have to do proper planning and not just making up your mind....It goes beyond that.

Nalfa
Newly Registered

Post by Nalfa » Thu May 08, 2008 12:00 pm

Hi HSMP,

I guess it much up to your own values and how you see it. I don't believe that UK is much easier than here or that I would be paid more than here.
Each one grades it according to his own understanding herts, bd and most probabily me just threw everything behind in search for something we might or might not get.

You decided to come back as you believe you better off. So I salute you and wish you best of luck.

mayana

Herts

Post by mayana » Sat May 10, 2008 6:43 pm

Herts pls check your private message..