ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Lack of Clarity in Instructions --

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

zeke

Lack of Clarity in Instructions --

Post by zeke » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:20 pm

Friends, I don't see anything in the application form itself that asks for anticipated budget information. How do we know that HSMP Evaluation Team is looking for it? I do see in the Guidance Notes for HSMP that Question # 24.6 asks "Why do you need to know about my expected costs?" -- the answer can certainly be interpreted to include an anticipated budget -- I can understand that HO is concerned that the UK is an expensive place to live and they want HSMP applicants to show that they have considered this fact very carefully, and have planned for it, and they especially don't want HSMP holders to resort to public funds.

But, why don't they just say that in the application? Why isn't there a section in the application that just says, " The UK is an expensive place to live -- please supply us with evidence that you have considered the impact of this on your ability to sustain your self, especially while you are looking for work or seeking to put your business plans into place. You will not be permitted to resort to public funds in the UK. Please show us what you anticipate you will earn in the first year in the UK, what financial resources you have on hand to supplement this income in the first year, and a budget for the first year that shows anticipated costs for basic needs such as food, housing and transportation for you and your family"

Why don't they just come out and say it? Why does it seem that so much about HSMP application is cryptic and mysterious, so that we have to spend so much time helping each other to interpret and fill in the blanks where information is lacking?

I did email HO about this issue of anticipated budget. The reply was so vauge and confusing-- it partially addressed the issue of claiming income for points, which I am not claiming and was not emailing HO about -- I was compelled to email again, this time for clarification of the lack of clarity in the first email!!!

In the initial email, I asked:

In the HSMP Guidance notes, section Q 24.6 asks, "Why do you need to know about my expected costs?"; I see that the HSMP application asks about expected income in the first year, but I cannot find any section of the HSMP application form that asks about expected costs. Am I expected to provide a budget, and my bank statements? Please clarify.

HO replied:

You are to prove to the UK that you have enough money to accommodate you andyour family in the UK. If you have not had any job offers or it may take a while for you to search for employment you need to prove that you can
accommodate yourself during your stay in the UK.

As you have to demonstrate your income you need to submit twelve months of bank statements and wage slips.

Does this make any sense to you all?

I asked in my second email:

how can I provide twelve months of wage slips for a job in the UK that I don’t have yet? It sounds like you are talking about section 3, Past Earnings From Your Work of the HSMP application – but I am not claiming any points for salary in my HSMP application. I am talking about Question 13, “What do you expect to earn in your first 12 months in the UK?” Am I in addition expected by the HSMP Evaluation Team to provide a projected budget for the first year? And, for Question 13, must I also provide twelve months of statements from my USA bank accounts in the HSMP application to show that I can accommodate myself? Or are 3-6 months of statements sufficient?

I will let you know the response.

There were several other questions I asked about other issues which received similarly vauge and confusing answers.

More grumblings will ensue, but I must go for the moment.

Your thoughts?
Be Well!

hsmphopeful

Post by hsmphopeful » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:42 pm

Hi there. It is pointless emailing HO because what they do is they try to spend as little time as possible on every email. I also did email them on another issue and got a canned reply. You are on your own - you either have to hire an experienced/licensed immigration law adviser or take the risks and send your stuff in - do not expect HO to spend more than a minute on understanding your question fully and providing the best answer - that's why there are immigration advisers - otherwise everyone could ask the HO for free immigration advise :-)

atwoodclan
Newly Registered

Post by atwoodclan » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:44 pm

:) What I did was submit 12 months worth of payslips, tax return, and 3 mos worth of bank statements.

Basically, we were told by our immigraton consultant the 12 mos payslips and tax forms prove your income you are claiming. The 3 months worth of bank statements prove that you have income to support you and your family while in the UK without access to public funds.

As far as expected income. I provided 10 job advertisements/postings with the income shown to back what I was claiming what income I thought I could make in the UK market.

Hope that helps.

zeke

Post by zeke » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:55 pm

Thank you both for your thoughtful replies.

hsmphopeful, I agree with your response, except that my questions to HO are not for immigration advice, but clarification of how to understand their forms! -- unlesss that's the same thing as immigration advice. Otherwise, you are most certainly correct about inquiry emails being given little thought or time.

atwoodclan -- I guess you are talking about both claiming points for past earnings and your response to question number 13 in the HSMP application form about expected earnings, yes?

So--

For claiming points, you showed 12 months' payslips and the tax forms.

For questions number 13, you submitted 3 months worth of bank statements to show that you can sustain yourself without recourse to public funds, and 10 job advertisements to substantiate what you claimed would be your anticipated income in the UK.

Am I correct? I notice that you didn't say that you submitted a budget of anticipated expenses. :)
Be Well!

lynn132

Post by lynn132 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:25 am

zeke,
For this part of the application, about demonstrating that I had adeqiate funds to support myself while seekinga job, I included an estimated monthly budget (it took about an hour of research and some help from a friend in the UK to do a "reality check") and evidence of my home's value (appraisal value and mortgage statement) and a copy of my last quarterly investment acocunt statement. I also stated in my cover letter what the value of these assets would be after taxes.
While we could debate whether or not these sorts of things are actually required by the application, I think that including them demonstates that an applicant understands the costs involved and has thoroughly considered the economics involved in taking the risk to move to the UK without already having a job in hand.
lynn

atwoodclan
Newly Registered

Post by atwoodclan » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:52 am

Basically for my family of six(which is myself, spouse & 4 kids), we were told we should have a minimum of 3,000 pounds a month on our 3 month worth of bank statements. They want to make sure you can support yourself & family.
The budget is a good idea as long as you know whereabouts in the Uk you intend to live. Scotland is far cheaper than London & the surrounding areas. But you could give estimates about how much you anticipate spending each month.

Yes, you are correct in relation to my answers for Question 12 and 13.
It is just giving the Home Office proof of what you are claiming was your income in your country of origin.

zeke

Post by zeke » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:56 am

Friends,

Your comments today have been most helpful and reassuring.

I have been busy today writing my Sustaining Myself section of my HSMP application. I have a letter from the an employment agency about my expected income and 3 months' statements showing the balances from one of my bank accounts as funds that I could tap into if needed while looking for work (which, according to my employment agency, should't be long.)

I am actually finding this project to be useful -- it is making me feel more confident about my plans to live and work in the UK.

By the way, as I have been surfing the net for information about cost of living in UK and London, I stumbled upon these interesting links:

...an online discussion of cost of living in London

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadsele ... d=34551714

....and information for Americans planning to earn money in the UK, about an agreement between UK and USA to coordinate social security benefits. I don't pretend to understand it all, but it does look verrrrry interesting, and verrrrrrry important:

http://www.ssa.gov/international/Agreem ... k.html#wep

Finally, I find the post of our friend Ajay Kumar Singh, on the subject of anticipated costs/ budget, to be helpful indeed:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ommutation
Be Well!

zeke

Post by zeke » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:59 am

By the way, what exactly does a

bank reference letter

from my bank in my home country consist of? What kind of information?
( I imagine it would include how long I have had the account, and whether I am a reliable customer, and my average balances??)

Some of the online sources I am coming across say that it is helpful for establishing a bank account in the UK.
Be Well!

lynn132

Post by lynn132 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:07 am

I actually just got one from my bank here - it's called a "letter of good standing" and says whatever you ask them to include. I asked them to include how long my accounts (checking and savings) had been open, and also the average monthly balance for the checking account. They actually called me back to make sure it had what I needed and to make sure I wasn't closing my account :lol: . Which I'm not, as I can do everything online (transfer funds to other accounts, pay bills, etc) with my current bank and access my money through atms/debit cards in the UK.

wazman
Newly Registered

i didn't send a budget

Post by wazman » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:25 am

I enquired to the HSMP e-mail address and was told there was no need to submit a budget / proof of assets as this was not requested on the application form.

I was advised this sort of information would be required at the entry clearance stage, not for HSMP processing. To me, that makes sense, because the EC stage is where the actual immigration decision is made.

I recommend when submitting your application that you print out and send with it any advice e-mails you have received from HSMP that have had a bearing on your application.

Waz