ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport for new born

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

monza

Passport for new born

Post by monza » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:18 pm

Hi All i need you help!
My child is due on 8th May and I am panning for applying passport but not sure the time line.
Both parents are Indian citizen, I am on ILR and my wife on dependent visa.
My wife planned to travel to India on 15th Sept 2018 with baby and baby will spend one-year time in India.
Can I apply British passport for my baby after birth on the basis of father got ILR and mother on dependent of ILR?
If yes what is the process and time line?
How baby can travel to India, what are the option considering 4 months time period?

Thanks in advance

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Passport for new born

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:27 am

Can I apply British passport for my baby after birth on the basis of father got ILR and mother on dependent of ILR?
Yes.
If yes what is the process and time line?
You can apply using the one week fast track service if you wish. Otherwise normal timeline is about 4-6 weeks.
How baby can travel to India, what are the option considering 4 months time period?

Not sure why you believe a British passport applied for within the UK will take so long??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

monza

Post by monza » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:18 am

Thanks for your replay,

I understand British passport turnaround is quick, but i was not sure how long OCI or Visa to India take, because my wife was planning to go india 4 months after birth.

OR

Can i apply Indian passport for my baby in UK and travel to India and from India can we apply British passport and with that passport travel back to UK ?.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:20 am

Kindly ask your OCI or Indian visa questions in the Other Countries Sub Forum (click) which has a lot of information and timelines.

A British passport application from India can take 6 to 12 months.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

monza

Post by monza » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:55 am

A British passport application from India can take 6 to 12 months.
[/quote]

Thanks for the time line info of 6 to 12 month from india.
Does the eligibility to apply British passport in UK or outside UK is the same or baby should apply neutralisation and then passport in india?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:58 am

If the child is British, a passport can be applied for wherever. Evidence of parents status will be required, i.e. Your passport and ILR BRP card.

A British child cannot apply to register as British!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

monza

Post by monza » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:41 am

Sorry for asking so many questions?

So, when baby apply British passport in India do I need to send my original ILR BRP and Indian passport? I am asking this because I will be in UK that time.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:48 am

It should be original and HMPO can and do ask for originals sometimes. But you can try with copies.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:55 pm

OCI will normally take around 6 months.

monza

Post by monza » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:40 pm

If I apply British passport in UK for my baby, how about in future does baby can apply Indian passport based on their parents was holding Indian passport at the time of Birth?

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:59 pm

monza wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:40 pm
If I apply British passport in UK for my baby, how about in future does baby can apply Indian passport based on their parents was holding Indian passport at the time of Birth?
There was a bit of a debate on this a while back. I argued absolutely no. But I think someone pointed out that this might be possible until the age of 18. I'll see if I can dig up that thread, though I'm terrible with message board searches. Might be a while.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:55 pm

A child born with dual British and Indian citizenship can retain both citizenships until the age of 18 (when s/he must make a choice), provided that the child has never acquired a non-Indian passport.

If the child acquires a British passport before the age of 18, s/he loses Indian citizenship.

The alternative in this case is to apply for an Indian passport, and then for a CoE-RoA in the Indian passport.

Of course, if the child is born in the UK, you need to register them as an Indian citizen with the High Commission within one year of the child's birth in order to apply for an Indian passport.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:27 am

secret.simon wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:55 pm
A child born with dual British and Indian citizenship can retain both citizenships until the age of 18 (when s/he must make a choice), provided that the child has never acquired a non-Indian passport.
But if they do acquire a British passport, I do believe that right claim Indian citizenship if forever lost isn't it? This was the point that was debated (with you?) a while back if I recall correctly. Also, I'm not sure that a child technically has 'dual' citizenship as I don't believe India will recognize the child as a citizen unless they are registered. They have a claim until the age of 18 and can establish it by certain acts, but if they don't, then they are not considered to have that citizenship. This is an important distinction as some children of Indian parents on this site have acquired British citizenship via 3(5) based on being stateless.