ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizen with a non EU wife

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sumosi
Newly Registered
Wales

British Citizen with a non EU wife

Post by sumosi » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:04 pm

I am a British Citizen (Can obtain Irish citizenship via grandparent )
Can someone kindly advise - I am due to come to Ireland from a non EU country having been working overseas. My wife is a non EU national
Where and how would be the best way to start? I can apply for Irish citizenship however will need to register as a citizen via birth decent which will take a ages.
Does anyone know what the alternative procedure would be?
Would it be best if I came over first and then sent for my spouse?
Really need help as to where to start
Thanks

Lou86
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: British Citizen with a non EU wife

Post by Lou86 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:14 pm

Thank you for this post, I'm in the same exact situation, please reply someone.

saeef
inactive
United Kingdom

Post by saeef » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:03 pm

I am about to do this also from Bahamas. So far from reading the posts and calling the Embassy of Ireland in Canada you have to apply for a C Visa for your wife under EU directive 2004/38/EU. This is what I applied for on the website. After you get the visa and arrive in Ireland (you can be there first or you can travel there together but not her first) Then you apply for the registration within 3 months of being there. They told me they have a backlog so it may take 8 weeks even though it is supposed to be "rushed" because of EU citizen's spouse.
My issue on this and I hope someone weighs in on this, as it will help your post and me, is the "supporting documents". I have read this:
"There is also no legal requirement that you submit:
bank statements
pay slips
letters from your present or future employer or school
letters of reference
proof that you will return at the end of the trip
airline tickets
confirmed hotel bookings
references or guarantees from people in the destination country"
So I don't know if I send some or all of this it will just be giving them more/unnecessary things to do and they will disregard it anyway as irrelevant or as someone in a previous post said: it might confuse the application.

saeef
inactive
United Kingdom

Post by saeef » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:07 pm

And btw my understanding is that by having uk citizenship you can apply based on that for Irish passport.

Lou86
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Lou86 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:14 pm

Saeef that's great to know and I thank you for your reply!! you have given me hope.
RE: British passport applying for Irish, it's not that simple otherwise everyone would do it due to Brexit.

saeef
inactive
United Kingdom

Post by saeef » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:49 pm

Lou86 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:14 pm
Saeef that's great to know and I thank you for your reply!! you have given me hope.
RE: British passport applying for Irish, it's not that simple otherwise everyone would do it due to Brexit.
A lot are doing it. This may be why the backlog. I may be stepping out on a limb here but from what I understand the uk applying for Irish passport is something other than the EU situation or brexit. It is soe kind of agreement between the two countries. A UK citizen can go and live in Ireland and get benefits nhs etc right away and vice versa.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:56 pm

saeef wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:49 pm
Lou86 wrote:
A lot are doing it. This may be why the backlog. I may be stepping out on a limb here but from what I understand the uk applying for Irish passport is something other than the EU situation or brexit. It is soe kind of agreement between the two countries. A UK citizen can go and live in Ireland and get benefits nhs etc right away and vice versa.
You are incorrect in your assumption!! A person of any nationality can only naturalise as Irish or claim Irish citizenship through descent, which is what those British citizens that qualify by descent are doing. It is a lengthy process for most as FBR registration is often required first. It has nothing do with the agreement between Ireland and the UK and the CTA etc.

A British citizens cannot just arrive in Ireland and apply for citizenship if they have no claim to Irish ancestry or claim benefits unreservedly etc. NHS is UK not Republic of Ireland!

Please, if you are not sure, please rather do not post incorrect information.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:14 pm

sumosi wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:04 pm
I am a British Citizen (Can obtain Irish citizenship via grandparent )
Can someone kindly advise - I am due to come to Ireland from a non EU country having been working overseas. My wife is a non EU national
Where and how would be the best way to start? I can apply for Irish citizenship however will need to register as a citizen via birth decent which will take a ages.
Does anyone know what the alternative procedure would be?
Would it be best if I came over first and then sent for my spouse?
Really need help as to where to start
Thanks
If your wife is a non visa required national to Ireland then enter the country with her as you do on holidays and once in the country follow the process explained in the link below.

http://inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/EU+Treaty+Rights

If your wife is a required national to Ireland (even for holidays) then follow the process explained in the link below.

http://inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Family ... 20citizens

Depending on your current country of residence the wait for a visa varies and can be considerably long for some nationalities so I would say in the meantime apply for FBR if that’s your intention in the end.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:22 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:56 pm

A British citizens cannot just arrive in Ireland and apply for citizenship if they have no claim to Irish ancestry or claim benefits unreservedly etc. NHS is UK not Republic of Ireland!

Yes. And, only an Irish citizen is entitled to an Irish passport.

Post-Brexit, British citizens may enjoy some rights not afforded to other countries under the Common Travel Arrangement between UK and Ireland. I don't think this has been completely settled. But there was a CTA before EU, as it seems to have been in the interest of both countries to allow freedom of movement.

Common travel area a bilateral issue for UK and Ireland, says Tánaiste

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:27 pm

PasadenaTom wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:22 pm
CR001 wrote:

Post-Brexit, British citizens may enjoy some rights not afforded to other countries under the Common Travel Arrangement between UK and Ireland. I don't think this has been completely settled. But there was a CTA before EU, as it seems to have been in the interest of both countries to allow freedom of movement.

Many people unfortunately assume the CTA encompasses all, which it does not and it is frustrating when incorrect information is posted.

Thanks for posting the link, was looking for it but on my phone so intermittent reception on the train.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

saeef
inactive
United Kingdom

Post by saeef » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:50 pm

CR001 wrote:
saeef wrote:
Lou86 wrote:
You are incorrect in your assumption!! A person of any nationality can only naturalise as Irish or claim Irish citizenship through descent, which is what those British citizens that qualify by descent are doing. It is a lengthy process for most as FBR registration is often required first. It has nothing do with the agreement between Ireland and the UK and the CTA etc.

Thanks for the response but I think you may have misread me. I never said that a UK citizen can just arrive in Ireland and claim citizenship. I said a lot of people are applying from uk for Irish passport.
About the benefits part I thought that this article meant the republic of Ireland, I thought it was a given that in the UK same rules apply all over, so I assumed, as you corrected me. wrongly that this was referring to The republic. Thanks for the timely and nicely put correction!
Here is the article of my confusion:

"Entitlement to health services
UK citizens who are resident in Ireland are entitled to health services in the same way as Irish citizens who are resident. This means that they may avail of public health services if they are “ordinarily resident”.

UK citizens resident in Ireland whose income is from a UK source and who do not have any income from Ireland may be entitled to a medical card regardless of their means. (Under EU rules, if you are getting a social security pension from another EEA country or Switzerland, or if you are working and paying social insurance in one of these countries, you may qualify for a medical card if you are ordinarily resident in Ireland, provided you are not subject to Irish social security legislation"

saeef
inactive
United Kingdom

Post by saeef » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:54 pm

Anyone care to comment on the document/non documents needed that I mentioned? Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:02 pm

The quotes of your posts below are what is incorrect.

British citizenship gives no automatic entitlement to apply for an Irish passport or Irish citizenship and doesn't have anything to do the agreement either.

68.1% of the Irish population don't qualify for the medical card and have to pay for certain health care services.
saeef wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:07 pm
And btw my understanding is that by having uk citizenship you can apply based on that for Irish passport.
saeef wrote:
Lou86 wrote:
Char (CR001 not Casa)

saeef
inactive
United Kingdom

Post by saeef » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:03 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:27 pm
PasadenaTom wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:22 pm
CR001 wrote:

Many people unfortunately assume the CTA encompasses all, which it does not and it is frustrating when incorrect information is posted.

Thanks for posting the link, was looking for it but on my phone so intermittent reception on the train.
So, in this link it is talking about Ireland or the republic of Ireland. now I am getting confused:

The common travel area between Ireland and Britain is a bilateral issues and separate from negotiations between the EU and UK on Brexit, the Dáil has heard.

A number of Government departments are working on policy and legal decisions to ensure the common travel area (CTA) between Ireland and Britain continues after the UK leaves the EU, according to Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs Simon Coveney.

The arrangement allows Irish citizens move freely to live, work and study on the same basis as a UK citizen in Britain, and vice versa. It allows access to employment, healthcare, education, social benefits as well as the right to vote in certain elections.

Mr Coveney said he brought a briefing note to Cabinet last week specifically on the CTA and he stressed in the Dáil that it was a bilateral issue.

saeef
inactive
United Kingdom

Post by saeef » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:17 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:02 pm
The quotes of your posts below are what is incorrect.

British citizenship gives no automatic entitlement to apply for an Irish passport or Irish citizenship and doesn't have anything to do the agreement either.

68.1% of the Irish population don't qualify for the medical card and have to pay for certain health care services.
saeef wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:07 pm
saeef wrote:
Lou86 wrote:
ok thanks. I did say I might be stepping out on a limb on that, and seems I did. I stand corrected.