ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel when MN1 is under process

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

srathore
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Travel when MN1 is under process

Post by srathore » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:59 am

I have applied for MN1 (registration and British Passport) for my son who is 2 1/2 years old, the application was made on 12th January, we have completed biometric requirements for him so its now matter of waiting for decision and passport to arrive. I had a few questions relating to travel while we are awaiting decision

The application was made at NCS so I have his passport and BRP (BRP valid until 7th April 2018)

1. My Son and wife plan to travel abroad for a month, I would like to know, can my son travel out of UK on his BRP and while he is abroad if home office issues him his British passport can he travel back into UK using his BRP (which I understand will be cancelled when candidate is given citizenship)
2. on successful application do we need to return the BRP to Home office within 5 days of getting Registration certificate of 5 days of receiving British passport
3. Can he travel out of UK on his BRP and while abroad if he is issued British Passport and I can arrange to get his passport to him then can he travel back into UK using his British Passport?

Looking forward to your response, thanks in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Travel when MN1 is under process

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:04 am

1. My Son and wife plan to travel abroad for a month, I would like to know, can my son travel out of UK on his BRP and while he is abroad if home office issues him his British passport can he travel back into UK using his BRP (which I understand will be cancelled when candidate is given citizenship)
Should be ok.
2. on successful application do we need to return the BRP to Home office within 5 days of getting Registration certificate of 5 days of receiving British passport
Assuming he is UK born, then no you do not have to return it.
3. Can he travel out of UK on his BRP and while abroad if he is issued British Passport and I can arrange to get his passport to him then can he travel back into UK using his British Passport?
Yes, but if he is currently an Indian citizen, you will need to check the requirements to depart India on a British passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

srathore
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by srathore » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:19 am

Hi CR001,

Thanks for your quick and helpful reply. Further to your reply for point 2 "Assuming he is UK born, then no you do not have to return it."

Yes he is UK born, could you point me to reference that states I do not have to return BRP please.

Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:30 am

ILR BRPs need to be returned. Presumably you did not apply for ILR for the child and he holds a dependent visa.

You can return it if you wish, or keep it as a souveneir.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

srathore
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by srathore » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:14 pm

:D that is correct he has a dependent visa and not ILR

Mxisme
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Mxisme » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:18 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:30 am
ILR BRPs need to be returned. Presumably you did not apply for ILR for the child and he holds a dependent visa.

Hi CR001
I am in a situation similar to srathore, and just wanted to follow up on your comment above regarding the return of only ILR BRPs. I always assumed that the dependent visa card is a BRP in the same way as the ILR card is a BRP - isn't that correct?

My wife and I both have ILRs ; my son has a dependant's visa (to be clear - a card with "Residence permit" written on ; not a stamp in the passport) which was issued when I had Tier 2 in the past. Today he received his certificate of registration after the successful MN1 application (which was submitted via NCS, so not a joined passport application). The problem is that we all are supposed to travel on the 31st of July.

I know that the MN1 conditions requires him to apply for a British passport if he needs to travel; and I know that the fastest track is via the 1-week long paper premium service. Furthermore, MN1 guidance says that the BRP needs to be returned and "cannot be used to facilitate travel once you are a British citizen. If you leave the UK ... you will experience difficulties when attempting to return to the UK" - however, if I understood your post correctly, non-ILR BRPs do not need to be returned ? If that is the case, then if we keep his dependant's BRP for a bit longer, go for the 2 week travel as planned on the 31st of July, will we still "experience difficulties" upon his return to the UK? For argument's sake, his certification of registration could have been delivered not today but just 4 days from now when we would have already been overseas...

thanks in advance

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:41 pm

Mxisme wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:18 pm
CR001 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:30 am

Hi CR001
I am in a situation similar to srathore, and just wanted to follow up on your comment above regarding the return of only ILR BRPs. I always assumed that the dependent visa card is a BRP in the same way as the ILR card is a BRP - isn't that correct?

My wife and I both have ILRs ; my son has a dependant's visa (to be clear - a card with "Residence permit" written on ; not a stamp in the passport) which was issued when I had Tier 2 in the past. Today he received his certificate of registration after the successful MN1 application (which was submitted via NCS, so not a joined passport application). The problem is that we all are supposed to travel on the 31st of July.

I know that the MN1 conditions requires him to apply for a British passport if he needs to travel; and I know that the fastest track is via the 1-week long paper premium service. Furthermore, MN1 guidance says that the BRP needs to be returned and "cannot be used to facilitate travel once you are a British citizen. If you leave the UK ... you will experience difficulties when attempting to return to the UK" - however, if I understood your post correctly, non-ILR BRPs do not need to be returned ? If that is the case, then if we keep his dependant's BRP for a bit longer, go for the 2 week travel as planned on the 31st of July, will we still "experience difficulties" upon his return to the UK? For argument's sake, his certification of registration could have been delivered not today but just 4 days from now when we would have already been overseas...

thanks in advance
1. Useful to post in your topic.

2. Only ILR BRP needs to be returned. He can travel if the BRP visa is still valid. There is no legal requirement to have a passport. Many British born citizens never have one.
Char (CR001 not Casa)