ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 Registration as a minor under Section 3 (2)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Learner101
Newly Registered
Nigeria

MN1 Registration as a minor under Section 3 (2)

Post by Learner101 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:38 pm

Hi.
I got my first British passport early 2018. Am British by descent my father having nationalized before I was born.
I intend to apply for my kids age 15 and 13 but we are not currently resident in the UK. Though I lived in the UK for 8 years and have a 3 years stretch being abroad for less than 270 days.
I would like to know the following
1. Will the fact that my children are not resident in the UK affect their application.
2. Can I bring them in on a visitors visa and then apply for their registration.
3. Will the fact that my husband is not British affect their application negatively.
Hoping to relocate to the UK once the children's immigration status are sorted out.
Thanks

secret.simon

Re: MN1 Registration as a minor under Section 3 (2)

Post by secret.simon » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:19 am

Learner101 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:38 pm
1. Will the fact that my children are not resident in the UK affect their application.
3. Will the fact that my husband is not British affect their application negatively.
Section 3(2) is an entitlement to registration (and therefore cannot be refused) if certain conditions are met;

a) The applicant must be a minor (under 18 years of age).
b) One parent of the applicant must have been a British citizen by descent (so, it does not apply to people who have become British citizens by naturalisation)
c) That parent must have resided in the UK for three continuous years before the birth of the applicant.
d) The parent of the parent mentioned above (the grandparent of the applicant) must have been a British citizen otherwise than by descent.

Physical presence of the applicants in the UK is not a requirement. Nor is the citizenship of the other parent relevant.

Your children seem to meet the requirements. So, you should not have a problem with applying for them.

Be aware that your children will not be able to pass on their British citizenship to their children if they (your grandchildren) are born outside the UK. Your grandchildren will fail condition (d) above.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Learner101
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Learner101 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:40 pm

Thank you. Your response is much appreciated.
How long should I expect the application to take.

Learner101
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Is £19.20 biometric fee applicable for registration

Post by Learner101 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:32 pm

Am currently processing certificate of registration for my two children from oversea (outside the UK). We have a biometrics appointment on Friday 27th July and would like to know the following.
1. Are we required to pay £19.20 for the biometrics or is it included in the application cost.
2. If the payment is separate how is payment made as I was the centre today and nobody had a clue. Applying from Nigeria.
Thank you.

Learner101
Newly Registered
Nigeria

TSL Contact refused to take my daughters biometrics

Post by Learner101 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:40 am

Went for biometric appointment today in Ikeja Nigeria, for my children's MN1 application, while my son's data was taken they refused to take my daughters because only his name was on the appointment slip.

The slip however clearly states that the appointment is for a maximum of two applicants. After waiting 3hrs to have the appointment confirmed we were turned back and told to book a seprate appointment for her.

Kindly note both their applications were submitted together and only my daughter's name appeared on the acknowledgement slip. I was not disturbed when the appointment slip showed only one name.

However that was a great mistake on my part delaying their application further.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:36 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:43 am

Seems like a highly inflexible and inefficient process.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Learner101
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Learner101 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:52 pm

My thoughts exactly.