ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation for my son

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

solly830
Newly Registered
Egypt

Naturalisation for my son

Post by solly830 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:02 am

Dear Sir/Madam

I’m in the process of obtaining British citizenship after I ‘ve been granted ILR based in 5 yrs work on Tier 2 visa. My wife is applying for her ILR soon and I have a child under 16 who is currently in Tier2 visa which is due to expire in September 2018.
He was born in Egypt and moved to the UK in November 2012 and been with me since and so my wife.
It’s likely to obtain my Naturalisation after his Visa is ran out and I it has come to my knowledge that He would be eligible to apply for Naturalisation if straight away if He has a british parent and the other parent is settled. Should I want to waive myself from the ILR visa for my son, can I appply for a family extension visa instead? Till I obtain my naturalisation.

Kind regards

secret.simon

Re: Naturalisation for my son

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:53 am

solly830 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:02 am
it has come to my knowledge that He would be eligible to apply for Naturalisation if straight away if He has a british parent and the other parent is settled.
AND the child is also settled/has ILR.

Children born abroad should have their immigration status in line with the less privileged parent. If your wife is applying for ILR, your son should apply at the same time. Once both he and your wife have ILR and you have been naturalised, he can apply for registration under Section 3(1).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

solly830
Newly Registered
Egypt

Post by solly830 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:42 am

Many thanks for your reply. Right ,If I apply for both my wife and my son for the ILR and then I successfully acquired my citizenship, will I have to apply for Naturalisation for him a year after his ILR or can he register as a british citizen straightaway?

Many thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:51 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

solly830
Newly Registered
Egypt

Post by solly830 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:02 pm

Thanks again for your swift reply. I looked onto the home office website to check eligibility for registering as a British citizen for my son and went through the series of questions and it appeared that he is not a British citizen and can't register as such.

to Recap things as I might have confused matters, I'm in the process of acquiring naturalisation, Will apply for my son and my wife for the ILR this week.

If I acquired the British citizenship will my son be eligible to register as a British citizen or does he have to go through the naturalisation process.

Again, If you believe that he might register as a British citizen straight away despite being born outside the UK, I would appreciate if you could send me a link from the home office website to help getting over any undue doubts.

many thanks in advance

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:11 pm

Click on the link that I previously gave you.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

solly830
Newly Registered
Egypt

Post by solly830 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:28 pm

many thanks Vinny for your reply, So once my wife and my son applied obtained their ILR and I granted naturalisation I can register him as a British citizen.

My last question is> what is the difference between applying for Naturalisation and registering as a British citizen? does it mean that he can get a British passport straight away without having to go through what I'm doing now and waive myself from the naturalisation fees which is £1330?

kind regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:31 pm

solly830 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:28 pm
many thanks Vinny for your reply, So once my wife and my son applied obtained their ILR and I granted naturalisation I can register him as a British citizen.

My last question is> what is the difference between applying for Naturalisation and registering as a British citizen? does it mean that he can get a British passport straight away without having to go through what I'm doing now and waive myself from the naturalisation fees which is £1330?

kind regards
Only adults are naturalised.

Children under 18 are register.

Both give same result.

No he cannot apply directly for a passport as he is not british. You must register him on form MN1 first, costs just over £1000 at present. Passport is a separate process and fee.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:36 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:31 pm
Only adults are naturalised.

Children under 18 are register.

Both give same result.
Not quite, though the difference is highly unlikely ever to matter. In some extreme circumstances, those who naturalised as British can be stripped of British citizenship even if it would temporarily leave them stateless, but those who registered as British can protect themselves by relinquishing all other nationalities - if they can be relinquished. In short, being registered rather than naturalised makes you a slightly better class of British citizen.

solly830
Newly Registered
Egypt

Post by solly830 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:48 am

Many thanks for that info

Regards