ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changing from student visa to working visa?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

SuperX7
Newly Registered

Changing from student visa to working visa?

Post by SuperX7 » Sat May 10, 2008 7:18 pm

Hi guys,

I have a few questions. I'm about to graduate (BA) and my student visa expires October of this year. I would like to continue living in the UK, find employment and change my student visa to a working visa. Many years ago I was told that it was not possible to make this switch (you would have to leave the UK and come back with a working visa) so I would like to know exactly whats what as I'm obviously confused. What kind of jobs are considered "visa worthy"?

Have any of you changed from a student visa to a working visa? If so, how was the process (what do you have to do) and where can I get help on this matter? If any of you can help or shed some light, that would be great! Thanks guys :)

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sat May 10, 2008 9:41 pm

You have a few options

See the http://ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/ page of the UKBA website.

It isn't just work permits but the HSMP scheme, Fresh Talent in Scotland and International Graduates Scheme that you could be eligible for. These schemes you are not tied to a particular job.

If you have graduated at degree level I am pretty sure you don't usually have to go back. What visa did you initially come to the UK on?

SuperX7
Newly Registered

Post by SuperX7 » Sun May 11, 2008 11:47 pm

Hi Paperpusher,

Thanks for your reply. :)

To answer your question, I came to the UK as an overseas student (student visa) and would like to stay here for at least a couple more years to work, gain some experience etc. My visa expires in October and I'm also wondering how long I can stay legally after it expires to look for employment?

Looking at the link you gave me now :)