ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Guernsey Investor Visa

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ximon
United States of America

Guernsey Investor Visa

Post by Ximon » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:56 pm

Anyone with experience applying for this visa? There appears to be an option to deposit £750,000 in a Guernsey bank to qualify for the visa. Does this visa allow you to eventually qualify for UK citizenship?

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Re: Guernsey Investor Visa

Post by Caravel88 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:47 am

Guernsey is not part of the UK.
Ximon wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:56 pm
Anyone with experience applying for this visa? There appears to be an option to deposit £750,000 in a Guernsey bank to qualify for the visa. Does this visa allow you to eventually qualify for UK citizenship?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:09 pm

Caravel88 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:47 am
Guernsey is not part of the UK.
It is much more complex and nuanced than that.

The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are Crown Dependencies and some Acts of Parliament apply to them. So, each of the various Crown Dependency (Guernsey, Jersey, Isle of Man, etc) have their own Immigration Rules and they are not a part of the EU for the purpose of freedom of movement. But the British Nationality Act 1981 does apply to them and a person who naturalises there becomes a British citizen, though their naturalisation certificate will be issued in the name of the relevant Lieutenant General, not the SSHD and their passport looks different compared to the standard British passport. But they are British citizens nonetheless.

To the OP, the Investor visa does lead upto ILR in Guernsey. See Guernsey Immigration Rules 224-231 for details. I do not believe that the ILR is portable i.e. it allows for residence in Guernsey only, though of course you can travel to and from the UK.

You should then be able to apply for naturalisation and a British passport in the usual way.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Ximon
United States of America

Post by Ximon » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:08 am

Thanks a lot for the information. I have read in a couple of non-government websites that the Guernsey Investor Visa leads to UK citizenship but there are no details provided on how this path works. The Channel Islands are part of the Common Travel Area. Do you think this allows a Guernsey Investor Visa holder freedom of movement in the UK and Ireland?