ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Counter signatory for baby born outside UK.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Indimarshall2
Newly Registered
India

Info needed - Applying for Child's British citizenship from India

Post by Indimarshall2 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:37 pm

Hi All,

Hope you all are doing great. Not sure if the post belongs here or in "Other countries".
I was an old member but I couldn't get into my account as I forgot my recovery email ID.
I received great help from this group since 2013 and actively helped members for English Language requirement during 2014 for BC.

Time has come again to seek some help.
Our child is due to be born in a month. My wife is in India currently.
I have actively gone through the below link and gathered all the required documents.
Thanks to the original poster for the detailed information. Also referred to Gov.co.uk
british-citizenship/british-passport-fo ... 71764.html

However for the following 2 questions I couldn't get any answer. I thought I would ask to be safe than feeling sorry after getting a query from Home office. Please can someone reply to these questions -

Me and my wife are British citizens (Naturalization) holding OCI.
My wife (Main applicant) is applying British passport for our child due in a month -

Counterparty Signature
1. In section 10 of British passport application it is mentioned that counterparty signature is required (preferably British passport holder.) It's difficult to find counterparty who holds British passport in india. Can I get the counterparty signature in UK with one of my friend and send the docs to my wife? Is this fine ?

Address Proof
2. What docs can my wife submit as address proof in India?
She lived her first 23 years in India.. then 6 and half years + in UK and last 8 months in India.
During this period we didn't realise to register her name on some address. Also my dad said it is hard to get her name on utility bills due to some procedure.
Her Indian passport was issued with her college hostel address, so it doesn't have home address on it. Is address proof mandatory ?

a) She got her Adhar card before applying for British citizenship. It has home address that we were living previously. Can we change this to new address submit it. Is is legal to hold Adhar card after receiving British citizenship ?

b) She also has a Driving license which has address that is related to her college hostel. I think we can change the address of this but can we this as address proof ?

Thanks in advance.

secret.simon

Re: Info needed - Applying for Child's British citizenship from India

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:40 pm

Welcome back, Indimarshall(2).

The main applicant is not your wife, but the child. Factor that in and that may answer all your questions.
Indimarshall2 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:37 pm
1. In section 10 of British passport application it is mentioned that counterparty signature is required (preferably British passport holder.) It's difficult to find counterparty who holds British passport in india. Can I get the counterparty signature in UK with one of my friend and send the docs to my wife?
The counter-signatory needs to be somebody who has known the applicant (in this case, the child) or the person applying for the child (in this case, the mother).

The counter-signatory can be a non-British Commonwealth (such as an Indian) citizen, so long as they have a valid passport.
Countersigning passport applications and photos wrote:If you’re applying outside the UK
Your countersignatory must have a current British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport.
If they have a US, Commonwealth, or non-British or non-Irish EU passport, you must include with your application a colour photocopy of the page with their photograph on it.
Your application will be processed faster if they have a British or Irish passport.
Be aware that first passports in India can take between 6 months to a year.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Indimarshall2
Newly Registered
India

Post by Indimarshall2 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:05 am

secret.simon wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:40 pm
Welcome back, Indimarshall(2).

The main applicant is not your wife, but the child. Factor that in and that may answer all your questions.
Indimarshall2 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:37 pm
1. In section 10 of British passport application it is mentioned that counterparty signature is required (preferably British passport holder.) It's difficult to find counterparty who holds British passport in india. Can I get the counterparty signature in UK with one of my friend and send the docs to my wife?
The counter-signatory needs to be somebody who has known the applicant (in this case, the child) or the person applying for the child (in this case, the mother).

The counter-signatory can be a non-British Commonwealth (such as an Indian) citizen, so long as they have a valid passport.
Countersigning passport applications and photos wrote:If you’re applying outside the UK
Your countersignatory must have a current British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport.
If they have a US, Commonwealth, or non-British or non-Irish EU passport, you must include with your application a colour photocopy of the page with their photograph on it.
Your application will be processed faster if they have a British or Irish passport.
Be aware that first passports in India can take between 6 months to a year.
Hi Simon, thanks for the reply.
1) Glad to make us realize that the main applicant is the baby and mother can be the counter signatory herself for the baby. This seems like the issue is resolved. It was mentioned in the application that British counter signatory will speed up the process.

2) Yes we are aware that it takes a minimum of 6 months. I am not sure if you are from India :-). Do you know what I should be doing with the address proof.

Can someone reply regarding the address proof thingy ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:41 am

The mother cannot countersign the form. It cannot be a relative.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Indimarshall2
Newly Registered
India

Post by Indimarshall2 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:52 am

@CR001

Exactly. I was about to reply that. The Guidance notes for the application clearly states that
"The countery signatory must not be related to you by birth or marriage"

Also the purpose of looking for British counter signatory is that the it has been clearly mentioned in the application that, the a British counter signatory will speed up the process.

CR0001
Can you please answer my question. Can I get the British counter signatory from a friend living in UK ? As the mother is in India, is there a rule that the British counter signatory has to be India as well ?

Indimarshall2
Newly Registered
India

Post by Indimarshall2 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:48 pm

Can someone please respond to my query about Counter signature.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:50 pm

The counter signatory must actually know and have met the child as far as I am aware and no, they do not have to be in India.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Indimarshall2
Newly Registered
India

Counter signatory for baby born outside UK.

Post by Indimarshall2 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:58 pm

Hello All..
I looked at some old threads, Guidance docs and online information yet I couldn’t get my answer.
As it is very important information, I thought I would seek your help.

Me and my wife are naturalized British citizens of Indian Origin. My wife recently delivered our new born baby in India and I have a question regarding counter signatory for the new born baby passport.

Gov.UK suggested that the passport applications will be processed quick if the counter signatory is British or Irish. I want to fill the application and get it a counter signed by my friend in UK who qualifies from the list of professions. My friend hasn’t seen the baby physically in India.

This is the notes in Gov.UK.
For child applications (aged under 16) it is also to confirm that they have known, for at least two years, the adult who signed the declaration in section 9 of the application form. They must also confirm that the person has parental responsibility for the child and confirm the child’s photo.

Or
In the same page a similar note was mentioned again which is like below –

for a child application under 16, confirm that they have known the adult who signed the declaration in section 9 of the application form for at least two years, and certify the photograph (giving the child’s full name), signing and dating .

Will the case worker be happy as the person who has put the adult declaration signature (Parent) in Section 9 is the mother and that the counter signatory has known the adult declaration person (Parent) in section 9 for more than 2 years or is it mandatory for the counter signatory to have seen the the child physically as well ?

I don’t know the authenticity of this website but if this is right, I am happy with it as it fits my requirement. Please confirm –

https://www.passports-office.co.uk/blog ... _it_right/
They suggest –

If the form is for a child passport, the counter signatory should know the person who signs the declaration rather than the child.

Or

Do you think, get signed by a common wealth citizen which Can be an Indian citizen but what I don't understand is how many weeks will the application be delayed compared to a British or Irish Counter signatory ?