ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA National passport certified copy for EEA Family Permit

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sebasb21
Newly Registered
Uruguay

EEA National passport certified copy for EEA Family Permit

Post by sebasb21 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:59 pm

Hi,

I'm an extended family member of an EEA National (Italy). We are partners, we currently live together in Uruguay with our son.

She es accepting a job offer in the UK and we are relocating. My son is an EEA National so there is no problem for him. We are all traveling together.

I'm applying for a FP but in the process i have to deliver my partners Italian Passport to prove she is an EEA National. The thing is, if the FP takes long she can´t travel, at least not as an EEA National, and she can get in trouble with the company that's hiring her, even lose the opportunity.

As I understand I could deilver a certified copy of her passport and my son's passport instead of the real ones, is this correct?

If this is correct do anyone has any idea what is a certified copy of her passport means? how and where do you usually get it?

Regards,
Sebastian

luhpaoli
United Kingdom

Re: EEA National passport certified copy for EEA Family Permit

Post by luhpaoli » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:07 pm

Hi Sebastian!
When I had to apply for Family Permit, my husband was already living in London so I couldn't send his original passport what he did was making a copy and then he went to the Italian Embassy for them to certify it. Then I explained in a letter why I wasn't sending the original document and all was good.

sebasb21
Newly Registered
Uruguay

Post by sebasb21 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:22 pm

Hi luhpaoli,

Thanks for the quick answer.
luhpaoli wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:07 pm
Hi Sebastian!
When I had to apply for Family Permit, my husband was already living in London so I couldn't send his original passport what he did was making a copy and then he went to the Italian Embassy for them to certify it. Then I explained in a letter why I wasn't sending the original document and all was good.
When you say copy, it's just a print of the photo page? or every page?

Regards,
Sebastian

luhpaoli
United Kingdom

Post by luhpaoli » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:34 pm

Yes, no need for the whole passport, just the photo page

abraCadabra

Post by abraCadabra » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:57 pm

Does anyone know if the copy must be certified by the embassy? I want to apply for an EEA FP soon, but my husband's country's consulate is fully booked until September 04 :( So he cannot get it certified there any time soon :( Can a copy of his passport be certified by a UK solicitor instead? Will the HO accept that? I read on the forum that people even provide copies of passports certified in the Post Office...

sebasb21
Newly Registered
Uruguay

Post by sebasb21 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:57 pm

i can only tell you what we finally did. We had the same issue, lack of time.

We went personally to the consulate explained our situation, they didn't offered the service of certified copy of passport (not by lack of time, they just didn't do that kind of thing). What they did gave us was a document certifying my partner was a citizen of that EU country and put the passport number in it.

We took that, also a certified copy of the passport made by a local solicitor (certifying the photocopy of the passport was indeed a good copy of said passport, we copy only the page of the photo and id details on the next page) we translated both documents (citizenship + certified copy) with a registered local translator, and we sent all that as a proof of identity and citizenship of my partner.

FP got issued fast and with no problems, so that at least worked, it may very well be over kill, but who knows.

Good Luck,