ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wife and Daughter travel to UK - Different Surnames?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sevendust12

Wife and Daughter travel to UK - Different Surnames?

Post by sevendust12 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:13 am

Hi All,

My wife and daughter's settlement visa got approved recently and will be travelling to the UK next week. I won't be travelling with them.

Since their surnames are different, would this cause any problems? My daughter has my surname, wife kept her pre-marriage surname.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks all.

bathanza
United Kingdom

Re: Wife and Daughter travel to UK - Different Surnames?

Post by bathanza » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:11 pm

Ask your wife to take birth certificate with her. A copy of your passport would be good too.

Husband's timeline - overstayer 11 yrs
08/16 - FLR (FP) Partner, refused 02/18, 03/18 - JR permission refused with merit
08/18 - FLR FP (Partner) PSC - Approved
07/20 - FLR FP to FLR M Switch - Approved, 03/23 FLR M Ext Approved.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:40 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sevendust12

Post by sevendust12 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:00 pm

My wife has my daughter's birth certificate which highlights both of our names. She also has a a copy of my passport. Also on my daughter's passport, it includes my wife's surname.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:53 pm

Its an highly common dilemma because a lot of partners donot change their previous surname with new married surname because a lot of previously gained documents will need to be updated with new surname which many times takes considerable time & cost. And also its not mandatory to adopt new married name and all these must be known to airport staff/caseworker/Ho. Simply demonstrating child birth certificate, marriage certificate, other partner passport copy should be suffice.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

sevendust12

Post by sevendust12 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:20 am

seagul wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:53 pm
Its an highly common dilemma because a lot of partners donot change their previous surname with new married surname because a lot of previously gained documents will need to be updated with new surname which many times takes considerable time & cost. And also its not mandatory to adopt new married name and all these must be known to airport staff/caseworker/Ho. Simply demonstrating child birth certificate, marriage certificate, other partner passport copy should be suffice.
Hi Seagul,

Thank you. Yes she has all those documents with her, hoping everything will go smoothly.