ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Best chance of long term Schengen visa

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ScoobyLondon
United Kingdom

Best chance of long term Schengen visa

Post by ScoobyLondon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:38 pm

We applied for Schengen visa for EU spouse for Norway and we were granted a 19 day single entry visa!

We're off to Norway for 5 days and we included a covering letter asking for a 1 year multi-entry visa. The response included a letter stating that since we did not include proof of future visits, they would only issue a single entry visa.

I'm confused as we got a 3-month multi-entry visa to Switzerland in 2016 and were hopeful for a longer visa.

Is there anything we can do to get a long term Schengen visa (6 or 12 months multi-entry)?

I had no idea I could add future trips to attempt to get a longer visa.

Also, are there countries that are more likely to give a longer-term visa and where does Norway fit into that ranking.

thanks

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Re: Best chance of long term Schengen visa

Post by Caravel88 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:37 pm

France, Netherlands, and Germany are likely choices for getting visas with longer validity from the UK.

In order to get a visa with longer validity, you do need to prove that you will be travelling often or that you have travelled often (generally speaking, otherwise it's under the embassy's discretion).

However this [general advice] sort of depends on the status of the person in the UK and their nationality to a degree.
ScoobyLondon wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:38 pm
We applied for Schengen visa for EU spouse for Norway and we were granted a 19 day single entry visa!

We're off to Norway for 5 days and we included a covering letter asking for a 1 year multi-entry visa. The response included a letter stating that since we did not include proof of future visits, they would only issue a single entry visa.

I'm confused as we got a 3-month multi-entry visa to Switzerland in 2016 and were hopeful for a longer visa.

Is there anything we can do to get a long term Schengen visa (6 or 12 months multi-entry)?

I had no idea I could add future trips to attempt to get a longer visa.

Also, are there countries that are more likely to give a longer-term visa and where does Norway fit into that ranking.

thanks

ScoobyLondon
United Kingdom

Cancelled trip - do I need to inform anyone

Post by ScoobyLondon » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:29 pm

We just got our Norway Schengen visa but due to unforseen family event, we've had to cancel the trip.

Do I need to inform anyone that the trip is cancelled and we won't be visiting that country?

thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Cancelled trip - do I need to inform anyone

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:32 pm

ScoobyLondon wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:29 pm
Do I need to inform anyone that the trip is cancelled and we won't be visiting that country?

thanks
No.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ScoobyLondon
United Kingdom

Post by ScoobyLondon » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:28 pm

In the coming weeks, we'll look to book again for another Europe trip and this time I'll book multiple trips to ensure we get a single visa covering at least that period.

We're now looking at end-Sept to France (4 days) and a 5 day trip to our favourite Switzerland in Feb.

In this example, do we need to apply to the France or should we apply to Switzerland?

If this itinerary was on a single trip, I'd apply to Switzerland but how does the 'first country of entry/country of longest stay' work with respect to multiple trips?

thanks again

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:00 pm

Apply to France.

You don't need to inform Norway (there is no action they can take if "informed", you can apply to have it cancelled if you wish) but if you do not use the visa at all, you might need to explain what happened (ie, why you didn't use it) next time you apply.
ScoobyLondon wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:28 pm
In the coming weeks, we'll look to book again for another Europe trip and this time I'll book multiple trips to ensure we get a single visa covering at least that period.

We're now looking at end-Sept to France (4 days) and a 5 day trip to our favourite Switzerland in Feb.

In this example, do we need to apply to the France or should we apply to Switzerland?

If this itinerary was on a single trip, I'd apply to Switzerland but how does the 'first country of entry/country of longest stay' work with respect to multiple trips?

thanks again