ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Romanian passport question

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

plt22

Romanian passport question

Post by plt22 » Thu May 01, 2008 11:50 am

Hello, my grandparents from my mother side born and live in Romania until 1958 or 1959. I understand it was when Romania was communist.

I understand that Romanian citizens that left Romania in that time lost their citizenship, but not all Romanian citizens lost their citizenship when they left Romania. And if my grandparents still hold a Romanian citizenship I can get a Romanian citizenship too and that will open a door for me in Europe.

I really want this Romanian passport. My question is: How I find out if my grandparents still hold a Romanian citizenship? Is that possible to find out by contacting the Romanian embessy in my area? It this possible to send them a fax or an email and get a response from them?

I need to find out if my grandparents are still citizens of Romania and I need to find out how I do it.

Thanks alot .

plt22

Re: Romanian passport question

Post by plt22 » Fri May 02, 2008 12:09 am

Well, spoke with a good lawyer. He said that they are not a citizens of Romania because in the years they left the country the Romania goverment took their passport away.

He said that its possible to re gain citizenship. I will need to learn the languge and it will take 2-3 years. The question now is, What the chances that I'll get a passport?

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Re: Romanian passport question

Post by joesoap101 » Fri May 02, 2008 7:13 pm

plt22 wrote:Well, spoke with a good lawyer. He said that they are not a citizens of Romania because in the years they left the country the Romania goverment took their passport away.

He said that its possible to re gain citizenship. I will need to learn the languge and it will take 2-3 years. The question now is, What the chances that I'll get a passport?
I think you answered your own question.

plt22

Post by plt22 » Tue May 13, 2008 3:36 pm

So its a sure thing that I'll get the citizenshp in few years if I learn to speak romanian? or 50% or 20%...
I need to know what my chances.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue May 13, 2008 7:24 pm

plt22 wrote:So its a sure thing that I'll get the citizenshp in few years if I learn to speak romanian? or 50% or 20%...
I need to know what my chances.
I think this is so esoteric no one here knows the answer, I suggest you engage the services of an expert in Romanian Law.

Romanian is pretty easy, bit like French and Italian mixed up but I'd be surprised if language is the only requirement....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue May 13, 2008 8:42 pm

Any particular reason why you really want a Romanian passport? Is it simply that Romania is now in the EU, and getting such a passport would give you rights all over the EEA?
John

plt22

Post by plt22 » Wed May 14, 2008 9:35 pm

Yes, I want a Romanian passport so I could get rights all over the EEA. I want to go to flight school, and there are alot of airlines in Europe then where I live now, so my chances are very high if I get an europian passport. If I won't get a passport I guess I'll have to study for a Business degree in London and get a HSMP working visa and spend all my life doing something I hate....

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed May 14, 2008 9:52 pm

How Romanian do you feel? As a matter of interest?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

plt22

Post by plt22 » Thu May 15, 2008 2:28 am

I feel Romanian.. I'm 50% Romanian.. If Romania would let my grandparents keep their citizenship I could have a Romanian citizenship for sure.. I think I deserve a Romanian citizenship and I even willing to learn Romanian to get it.