ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I would like my Colombian girlfriend to join me in England

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Tatiandy
Newly Registered
Columbia

I would like my Colombian girlfriend to join me in England

Post by Tatiandy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:04 pm

I have a Colombian girlfriend and we would like to live together in England and then marry.
She wants to become a nurse and is currently at university in Colombia studying English.
I am confused over visas. I have spoken to the nhs who say she needs her visa before she can apply to work there and gave me a gov.uk link.
They replied and gave me home office link. I was asking what was the best visa for her but they said they cannot advise me.
I have checked visas out and it appears, to me, that to get a visa to work in England she needs a job arranged in England, proof that she can support herself with no help, and the job is for £30,000. At the moment she cannot support herself plus nursing does not pay £30,000.
To get a student visa she needs a placement on a course, enough money to support herself and pay for her course from money she can show in her bank account. Once again she does not have the funds and cannot get into training without the visa. Catch 22.
The only other way I can see is as a partner or spouse. If she applies as my fiancé and then we marry within 6 months of her arriving in the UK. I believe as my wife she is allowed to study and/or work.
Am I correct? Is this the only way she can study and work as a nurse? We were not planning to marry so quickly but is this the only way?
I would really appreciate some help. Any advice would be great as the official bodies do not seem to be able to assist me. Thank you in advance. Andy.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Re: I would like my Colombian girlfriend to join me in England

Post by physicskate » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:28 pm

Tatiandy wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:04 pm
I have a Colombian girlfriend and we would like to live together in England and then marry.
She wants to become a nurse and is currently at university in Colombia studying English.
I am confused over visas. I have spoken to the nhs who say she needs her visa before she can apply to work there and gave me a gov.uk link.
They replied and gave me home office link. I was asking what was the best visa for her but they said they cannot advise me.
I have checked visas out and it appears, to me, that to get a visa to work in England she needs a job arranged in England, proof that she can support herself with no help, and the job is for £30,000. At the moment she cannot support herself plus nursing does not pay £30,000.
To get a student visa she needs a placement on a course, enough money to support herself and pay for her course from money she can show in her bank account. Once again she does not have the funds and cannot get into training without the visa. Catch 22.
The only other way I can see is as a partner or spouse. If she applies as my fiancé and then we marry within 6 months of her arriving in the UK. I believe as my wife she is allowed to study and/or work.
Am I correct? Is this the only way she can study and work as a nurse? We were not planning to marry so quickly but is this the only way?
I would really appreciate some help. Any advice would be great as the official bodies do not seem to be able to assist me. Thank you in advance. Andy.
Are you British or do you have ILR?

If you're/ she is short on funds for tuition, and she is not already trained and registered as a nurse, then probably the only viable route is through a fiance or spouse visa. There is no girlfriend visa. The only real options for the vast majority of people are: student, skilled work, spouse. There are no tricks or short-cuts.

Tatiandy
Newly Registered
Columbia

Post by Tatiandy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:40 pm

Thank you.
Yes. I am British born and bred.
So it would seem that marriage is the way forward, which is fine, just sooner than we had spoken about. I think I also need to do some form of proof of income. What should my annual salary be?

PaulG
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by PaulG » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:12 pm

Hi,

Your girlfriend could come to the UK under a fiance visa but just if you are planning to marry within 6 months after she arrives. Once you are married she has to apply for a spouse visa, once she gets that visa, she would be able to work and live in the UK with no restrictions (just the restriction of the visa that has to be renewed after 30 months in the UK).

There is no other way for her to have the rights to work unless she has a sponsor who offers her a job.

luzangg
Newly Registered
England

Post by luzangg » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:03 pm

Hello!
I am Colombian too. And I was in the same position five years ago. That's the best route I found. I applied for fiancee visa and I got married here in the UK.
Please don't hesitate to mesaage me if you would like to ask any questions.
Regards.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:22 pm

Tatiandy wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:40 pm
Thank you.
Yes. I am British born and bred.
So it would seem that marriage is the way forward, which is fine, just sooner than we had spoken about. I think I also need to do some form of proof of income. What should my annual salary be?
A minimum of £18,600 p.a
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:24 pm

luzangg wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:03 pm
Hello!
I am Colombian too. And I was in the same position five years ago. That's the best route I found. I applied for fiancee visa and I got married here in the UK.
Please don't hesitate to mesaage me if you would like to ask any questions.
Regards.
Members don't have the privilege of the PM facility until they have contributed 30 posts on the forum.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.