ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

where to apply for EC longterm Germany

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Rak
Newly Registered

where to apply for EC longterm Germany

Post by Rak » Thu May 15, 2008 12:03 pm

I was working in Germany from July 2002 - Oct 2007 and now working in UK. Is it possible I can apply for EC long-term residence permit ?

I cannot find the application form in German embassy London ?

Any help please...

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: where to apply for EC longterm Germany

Post by Wanderer » Thu May 15, 2008 1:03 pm

Rak wrote:I was working in Germany from July 2002 - Oct 2007 and now working in UK. Is it possible I can apply for EC long-term residence permit ?

I cannot find the application form in German embassy London ?

Any help please...
Not possible. You probably could have in Germany, why didn't you then? That counts for nothing in UK unless ur working for same employer and u've been sent to UK.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Thu May 15, 2008 4:32 pm

You sort of stitched yourself up with this...

As Wanderer said, you could have applied for the Daueraufenthalterlaubnis-EG whilst you were still working and resident in Germany.

Read this for more information:

http://www.duesseldorf.de/auslaenderamt ... ndex.shtml

But in particular, this is important:

Eine Aufenthalts- oder Niederlassungserlaubnis erlischt unter anderem, wenn nach einer Ausreise die Wiedereinreise nicht innerhalb von sechs Monaten oder einer von der Ausländerbehörde bestimmten längeren Frist erfolgt ist. Eine "Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt-EG" erlischt aber erst

nach 12 Monaten bei Ausreise aus dem Gebiet der EU
nach 6 Jahren bei einem Aufenthalt in einem anderen EU-Staat (ausgenommen Großbritannien, Irland und Dänemark).

Basically, even if you had got this long term permit whilst in Germany, it would be of limited use to you now in the UK. It does not confer you with any residence rights here. Moreover, it would be expiring a year after your leaving Germany. It only lasts for six years if you had taken up residence in any EU State APART FROM the UK, Ireland and Denmark.

The only reason you should have got it is if you planned to return to a participating EU country within a year after leaving Germany. It would have given you considerable freedom of movement around the EU apart from the UK, Ireland and Denmark.

One last point, you cannot apply for this permit now that you're in the UK. Your qualifying period for it in Germany has been interrupted by your move to the UK. As someone who was once in a similar position to you, this is quite bad luck.

The only slight bright light may be if you are still registered (gemeldet) in Germany. Even better if you are still on a German payroll and are paying German taxes. If that's the case, you would need to apply at your local Ausländerbehörde in Germany and perhaps consult a German immigration lawyer. If you're now based in the UK, I'm sorry...that ship has sailed.

Rak
Newly Registered

Post by Rak » Thu May 15, 2008 7:17 pm

RobinLondon wrote: If you're now based in the UK, I'm sorry...that ship has sailed.
Many thanks both of you...

It is not that I want to emigrate to Germany - I (from India) just found travelling for conferences (in EU) it is much more difficult after coming to UK. Everytime I have to run to London... (that is why I thought it would be easy)

When was in Germany, I got easily 6 month - multiple entry visas to UK - but now FR/DE are so crazy in giving visas (in Dec - they gave me exact as per my flight - not even one day more ! - I asked them what happens if there is a flight delay due to snow storm - the visa counter lady told "Dont waste my time - Go away". I understood that "“Liberty, Equality, Fraternity" does not apply inside embassies... :-(