ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Received approval but missed 90 deadline for ceremony as was abroad

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mingpan
Newly Registered
Thailand

Received approval but missed 90 deadline for ceremony as was abroad

Post by mingpan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:08 am

Hi, everyone. I have this problem with naturalisation that keeps irritating me, any help will be highly appreciated. I know my post is long, so I put those less important details in brackets, and you may skip them.

The situation is, I have gone abroad recently (I was using the NDRS), during that period I missed the approval letter from OH, and didn't even realise it until recently HO emailed me saying I have missed the 3 month deadline for arranging a citizenship ceremony with the local authority .

(I was expecting the letter in 5-6 months, and it came in less than 2 months. And I know it was stupid to leave the UK while the application was in process, but I really had important business outside the UK at that moment.)

They stated the deadline (around 20 days) after which I would be refused if I did not provide reasons why I didn't contact the local authority to arrange the ceremony. So I quickly sent emails around telling them the situation and asked if an extension is possible.

(I sent three same emails to 1. the address dealing with citizenship application found on HO website https://www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi, 2. the address I got from calling the number on the website (and yes, it's different from the first one), 3. the address sending me the warning email.)

It's been more than 10 days and I receive no reply yet. It's only 7 days before the deadline they gave for sending them the reasons why I didn't arrange and attend ceremony in time.

(I know HO usually doesn't reply emails quickly (if they reply at all), but receiving no confirmation of receipt really worries the heck out of me.)

Is there any other actions I can and should take? Or should I just force myself to clam down and wait? Also, does anyone know if cases like mine will usually be refused or not?

(I have read in the 'procedure for ceremonies' part of 'nationality general information', that 'you should normally agree to extend the deadline where....the applicant is temporarily abroad', but I am not sure if this applies to me as I didn't receive the approval letter and apply for extension before I went abroad.)

Thanks in advance.

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Re: Received approval but missed 90 deadline for ceremony as was abroad

Post by cyclina1 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:14 am

just try to book a ceremony with the council first, if they accept your booking and able to arrange the ceremony, then attend and will be fine.

But better tell them the situation and confirm the cert is with them.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.

smallpie
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Received approval but missed 90 deadline for ceremony as was abroad

Post by smallpie » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:40 am

mingpan wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:08 am
Hi, everyone. I have this problem with naturalisation that keeps irritating me, any help will be highly appreciated. I know my post is long, so I put those less important details in brackets, and you may skip them.

The situation is, I have gone abroad recently (I was using the NDRS), during that period I missed the approval letter from OH, and didn't even realise it until recently HO emailed me saying I have missed the 3 month deadline for arranging a citizenship ceremony with the local authority .

(I was expecting the letter in 5-6 months, and it came in less than 2 months. And I know it was stupid to leave the UK while the application was in process, but I really had important business outside the UK at that moment.)

They stated the deadline (around 20 days) after which I would be refused if I did not provide reasons why I didn't contact the local authority to arrange the ceremony. So I quickly sent emails around telling them the situation and asked if an extension is possible.

(I sent three same emails to 1. the address dealing with citizenship application found on HO website https://www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi, 2. the address I got from calling the number on the website (and yes, it's different from the first one), 3. the address sending me the warning email.)

It's been more than 10 days and I receive no reply yet. It's only 7 days before the deadline they gave for sending them the reasons why I didn't arrange and attend ceremony in time.

(I know HO usually doesn't reply emails quickly (if they reply at all), but receiving no confirmation of receipt really worries the heck out of me.)

Is there any other actions I can and should take? Or should I just force myself to clam down and wait? Also, does anyone know if cases like mine will usually be refused or not?

(I have read in the 'procedure for ceremonies' part of 'nationality general information', that 'you should normally agree to extend the deadline where....the applicant is temporarily abroad', but I am not sure if this applies to me as I didn't receive the approval letter and apply for extension before I went abroad.)

Thanks in advance.
Ring them over the fone to tell them the situation and get update on possible next step.
CITIZENSHIP confirmed.