ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier-2 Dependent Child ILR and Citizenship

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

AndyR003
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Tier-2 Dependent Child ILR and Citizenship

Post by AndyR003 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:55 pm

Hi All

Can someone please help me find answers for the following questions?

I got my Tier-2 visa starting from 06 March 2014 valid until 06 March 2017. I changed jobs and got Tier-2 visa again starting from 06 March 2016 valid until 20 March 2019. My five-year continuous residence will complete on 06 March 2019 and hence, I will be applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

My wife came to the UK on 09 December 2014 as my Tier-2 PBS dependent (although her visa started from 20 August 2014). Her PBS dependent visa also ends on 20 March 2019. Her 5-year residence in the UK to qualify for Indefinite Leave to Remain will complete on 09 December 2019.

So am I correct in thinking that when I apply for my ILR, my wife needs to apply for Tier-2 extension as PBS dependent? If yes, then would it be for 3-year duration?

My child was born outside of the UK on 01 December 2015 and came to the UK on 15 January 2016 as PBS dependent child. Is my child eligible to apply for ILR at the same time as myself when I am applying for ILR? Or does he need to apply for Tier-2 extension as PBS dependent same as my wife?

If my child gets Tier-2 extension will he be eligible to apply for citizenship when my wife applies for ILR in December 2019, given that her application is successful and both of us get our ILR status?

Thanks in anticipation..

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tier-2 Dependent Child ILR and Citizenship

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:44 pm

Your child will follow the same path as your spouse and must apply for ILR when she does.

The child has no entitlement to register as British simply because both parents have ILR as the child was born abroad. The child will only qualify to apply for citizenship when EITHER parent applies or is already British AND the other parent holds ILR.

There is no shortcut.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

AndyR003
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by AndyR003 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi CR001,

Many thanks for your reply.

Can my child apply for Citizenship without getting ILR?

I mean he would be on Tier-2 extension visa when I'd be applying for citizenship hopefully in March 2020. So just for the sake of saving/wasting money on getting his ILR, can he directly apply for citizenship without applying for ILR?

Best Regards,
AndyR003

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:13 am

Can my child apply for Citizenship without getting ILR?
No. A child born abroad is expected to be 'free from immigration time restriction', ie hold ILR.

A child born abroad is a registration as British at discretion and many have been refused trying to avoid ILR fee for child and by the time they get the refusal, the childs visa has expired and they are overstayers.

There is NO appeal process for refused Citizenship applications.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

AndyR003
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by AndyR003 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:16 pm

Hi CR001,

Many thanks for taking time out to answer my queries.

That was really informative.

Best Regards,
AndyR003

Malikabdulbasit2004
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Malikabdulbasit2004 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:50 pm