ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will property investment of dependent affect my TI visa?

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kenyaken
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

joining an established business

Post by kenyaken » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:59 am

I know I'm not advised to post question under another person's thread, but these are follow up questions. Please remove this if it's not okay.

1) If one is joining an established business, he/she has to add, or create, 2 new employment posts after joining the existing business?
2) If one started a new business with a partner who's a UK citizen, is it okay if the new business created only 2 new full time posts in this case?

Thanks in advance.

marcnath
United Kingdom

Re: joining an established business

Post by marcnath » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:09 pm

1) The two new jobs have to be in addition to that existing at the time you took over. So, if they had 5 jobs before you joined, it should have 7 for your renewal requirement
2) Yes, if you start a new business, you create 2 new FT jobs. Whether your partner is a British citizen or not, it does not matter.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

kenyaken
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Will property investment of dependent affect my TI visa?

Post by kenyaken » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:41 am

Hi all,

I'm planning to submit my T1 application later this year, and have benefited a great deal in this forum. Thank you to everyone.

I have a question (in fact some questions, but I'll ask this one first) on whether the property management activities of my dependent in the UK will affect my T1 application or even extension, if luck.

It's because my spouse is going to set up a limited company to invest in property for generating income, while I'm keen on operating a small business in the north of UK.

Will the company of my spouse affect my T1 visa application (he would probably join me as dependent)? Or any problems in getting visa extension after 3 years if I'm lucky to get the visa in the first place?

I'm well aware that I'm not allowed to go into property management of any sort, and property buying will count us as a family unit. So does it mean we have to choose between the two plans of us?

It's a headache and we have to sort it out ASAP, though we're not fighting yet :)
Please can anyone kindly advise?

marcnath
United Kingdom

Re: Will property investment of dependent affect my TI visa?

Post by marcnath » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:06 am

Please do not start new topics for related posts. Stick to one thread so people can get the full background
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

marcnath
United Kingdom

Post by marcnath » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:07 am

kenyaken wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:41 am
Hi all,

I'm planning to submit my T1 application later this year, and have benefited a great deal in this forum. Thank you to everyone.

I have a question (in fact some questions, but I'll ask this one first) on whether the property management activities of my dependent in the UK will affect my T1 application or even extension, if luck.

It's because my spouse is going to set up a limited company to invest in property for generating income, while I'm keen on operating a small business in the north of UK.

Will the company of my spouse affect my T1 visa application (he would probably join me as dependent)? Or any problems in getting visa extension after 3 years if I'm lucky to get the visa in the first place?

I'm well aware that I'm not allowed to go into property management of any sort, and property buying will count us as a family unit. So does it mean we have to choose between the two plans of us?

It's a headache and we have to sort it out ASAP, though we're not fighting yet :)
Please can anyone kindly advise?
What your dependant does would not have any impact on your application/extension

kenyaken
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by kenyaken » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:51 am

Thank you, marcnath, for the reply. We're glad to know we don't have to compromise.

So here comes my second question: will the business type have any effect on the decision on an initial application for T1 Entrepreneur visa?

I'm thinking of starting a cafe bookshop in a small town in the north of UK (I'd make sure that it'll create two new full time posts). It's more on the cultural side. But I've been told that it's better to start a more vigorous business to get better chance of approval. Can someone advise please?

Thank you in advance.

marcnath
United Kingdom

Post by marcnath » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:28 am

kenyaken wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:51 am
Thank you, marcnath, for the reply. We're glad to know we don't have to compromise.

So here comes my second question: will the business type have any effect on the decision on an initial application for T1 Entrepreneur visa?

I'm thinking of starting a cafe bookshop in a small town in the north of UK (I'd make sure that it'll create two new full time posts). It's more on the cultural side. But I've been told that it's better to start a more vigorous business to get better chance of approval. Can someone advise please?

Thank you in advance.
The immigration rules do not restrict you from that business.

I don't believe that anyone can tell you whether one business has more chance that the other. We see people with all kinds of business in this forum.

kenyaken
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by kenyaken » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:36 am

I don't believe that anyone can tell you whether one business has more chance that the other. We see people with all kinds of business in this forum.
Thank you, @marcnath. I guess you already know how grateful some of us are of your kind help and comments. I'm NOT saying this because I have follow up questions :) I really appreciate it.

My follow up question concerns with what I'm going to write about the humble business of mine in my business plan. I've been told that I have to indicate in the business plan that I will spend all £200k in the first stage. There are sayings (real case as I've been told) that people was rejected because they proposed to invest £150k in the first stage and reserve the rest £50k for operation. Is that real? Do I need to show that I will spend all £200K in the very first stage of investment in my business plan.

Since my business would not require a huge start up of £200k and I'd prefer to leave at least half of the money for operation in the coming 3 years. Any advice please?

Thank you in advance.

marcnath
United Kingdom

Post by marcnath » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:05 pm

kenyaken wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:36 am

Thank you, @marcnath. I guess you already know how grateful some of us are of your kind help and comments. I'm NOT saying this because I have follow up questions :) I really appreciate it.

My follow up question concerns with what I'm going to write about the humble business of mine in my business plan. I've been told that I have to indicate in the business plan that I will spend all £200k in the first stage. There are sayings (real case as I've been told) that people was rejected because they proposed to invest £150k in the first stage and reserve the rest £50k for operation. Is that real? Do I need to show that I will spend all £200K in the very first stage of investment in my business plan.

Since my business would not require a huge start up of £200k and I'd prefer to leave at least half of the money for operation in the coming 3 years. Any advice please?

Thank you in advance.
I don't understand that - it makes no sense on so many levels.

What is the difference between investment and operations here ? How can you fund operations without investing the money first ?

Obviously this is coming from someone who has no idea about running a business

kenyaken
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by kenyaken » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:55 pm

marcnath wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:05 pm
kenyaken wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:36 am

Thank you in advance.
I don't understand that - it makes no sense on so many levels.

What is the difference between investment and operations here ? How can you fund operations without investing the money first ?

Obviously this is coming from someone who has no idea about running a business
Thanks, marcnath. Do you suggest that I can come up with a financial plan that divide the investment of £200K over the coming three years? (Hope this is not a stupid question to ask). Thanks again.

kaps84
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by kaps84 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:47 pm

Business plan with projected investment of 200k over 3 years is perfectly fine.
-- Kaps84

kenyaken
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by kenyaken » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:44 pm

kaps84 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:47 pm
Business plan with projected investment of 200k over 3 years is perfectly fine.
Thanks, kaps84. I know I have asked a somewhat stupid question. Thanks for clarifying again for me : )

kenyaken
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Questions on a partnership company

Post by kenyaken » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:29 am

marcnath wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:09 pm
1) The two new jobs have to be in addition to that existing at the time you took over. So, if they had 5 jobs before you joined, it should have 7 for your renewal requirement
2) Yes, if you start a new business, you create 2 new FT jobs. Whether your partner is a British citizen or not, it does not matter.
Please I'd like to ask more questions about starting a new business with partners.

1) If I have started a partnership company in the UK before submitting my T1E application (overseas partners who have no intention in relocating to the UK), do I need to include any information about the partners in the business plan I prepare for the application apart from the information of them as registered in the company? I'm asking because I don't want to complicated my application.

2) Can I come up with a business plan with a partnership company that has a £200K investment over 3 years in total? Will I be rejected based on the reason that it's an investment shared by 2 or more partners?

3) We're planning on starting a property management company and I know it's allowed as long as we are not managing nor investment in property of ourselves. We have this idea because we see a great need and market of the overseas investors in our country. Is there any comment or advise from the members or gurus of this forum please?

marcnath
United Kingdom

Re: Questions on a partnership company

Post by marcnath » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:59 am

kenyaken wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:29 am
1) If I have started a partnership company in the UK before submitting my T1E application (overseas partners who have no intention in relocating to the UK), do I need to include any information about the partners in the business plan I prepare for the application apart from the information of them as registered in the company? I'm asking because I don't want to complicated my application.
It is not a good idea to lie in any part of the application including the business plan, but neither is it necessary to provide every single detail.
I know that is not a direct answer but it really depends on your specific case.
kenyaken wrote:

2) Can I come up with a business plan with a partnership company that has a £200K investment over 3 years in total? Will I be rejected based on the reason that it's an investment shared by 2 or more partners?
Yes, you have the make the entire 200K yourself.
kenyaken wrote:

3) We're planning on starting a property management company and I know it's allowed as long as we are not managing nor investment in property of ourselves. We have this idea because we see a great need and market of the overseas investors in our country. Is there any comment or advise from the members or gurus of this forum please?
Property management is specifically not allowed, so your assumption seems to be wrong.

kenyaken
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Re: Questions on a partnership company

Post by kenyaken » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:38 pm

marcnath wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:59 am
kenyaken wrote:
It is not a good idea to lie in any part of the application including the business plan, but neither is it necessary to provide every single detail.
I know that is not a direct answer but it really depends on your specific case.
kenyaken wrote:

Yes, you have the make the entire 200K yourself.
kenyaken wrote:

Property management is specifically not allowed, so your assumption seems to be wrong.
Thanks marcnath, for the reply.
First of all, I'm not trying to cheat when I ask if any information of the partners be provided. I just don't want to include my partners in my application so that I may need to ask them to provide me with their documents of whatsoever. It may complicate the whole process as I assume.
About the third question, it's my fault in thinking that managing property for clients is allowed. My bad for not paying attention. Thank you for pointing it out to me.
Again, thank you marcnath for your great help, and probably saving my life in this case :P