ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Should i apply yet or not? Please help.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

elv15

Should i apply yet or not? Please help.

Post by elv15 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:52 pm

I came to the UK on a student Visa in January 2005. Visa was for 6 years till October 2011 (unusual i know)
In December 2005 i left the school due to some personal reasons. I started working part time in June 2006 and in March 2007 i got a permanent full time Job in the NHS, (they never checked my status).

2008 i met my BC wife and married in August 2010, applied for FLR-M on the advice of a reputable OISC adviser, i believe she was honest in the applications cover letter.
In April 2011 the caseworker requested extra evidence to help him consider the application, this was a letter from my employer stating start date etc, p60s, more evidence of relationship and proof of leaving together etc, we sent this and i was granted FLR-M for 2 years in May 2011.

In April 2013 i got ILR through PEO croydon. It was a very straight forward process.
I have never had a pressing need to apply for BC because i have Schengen visa expiring in 2021 so travel for holidays in Europe etc has never been an issue. Recently though, my wife has been pushing that its about time i apply for BC, i am thinking of doing that, but i am now reading of this 10 year rule or something.
Could my application be refused due to non compliance of my student visa between 2006 till when i got FLR in 2011. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Should i perhaps take a gamble and risk losing money?

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Re: Should i apply yet or not? Please help.

Post by cyclina1 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:43 pm

You seem to stay and work illegally in the UK before you granted FLR in 2011. So you should apply BC only after May 2021.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.

elv15

Re: Should i apply yet or not? Please help.

Post by elv15 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:32 am

cyclina1 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:43 pm
You seem to stay and work illegally in the UK before you granted FLR in 2011. So you should apply BC only after May 2021.
Thanks a lot for the advice. I should have done this ages ago but never bothered 🤦🏽‍♂️
Please note that what i post is only a personal opinion. Im no expert lol.