ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Degree Points & IELTS requirement

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Hassy
Newly Registered

Degree Points & IELTS requirement

Post by Hassy » Tue May 13, 2008 8:17 am

HI,

I have degree of Masters from Paksitan and i came to know that it is equivalent to UK Bachelor degree. Please let me know that it is right or wrong.

Second quesiton is that IELTS is mandatory for HSMP or Naric letter for degree comparison is enough.

Thanx in Advance.

Regards,
Hassy

hsmpinuk70
Member of Standing

Re: Degree Points & IELTS requirement

Post by hsmpinuk70 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:50 am

Only NARIC can tell you that. Different courses from different universities are rated differently .. and this is true for any country not just Pakistan.
Hassy wrote:I have degree of Masters from Paksitan and i came to know that it is equivalent to UK Bachelor degree. Please let me know that it is right or wrong.
Read the HSMP guidance notes.
Hassy wrote:Second quesiton is that IELTS is mandatory for HSMP or Naric letter for degree comparison is enough.

nedian21
Newly Registered

Post by nedian21 » Tue May 13, 2008 1:25 pm

Hassy wrote:HI,

I have degree of Masters from Paksitan and i came to know that it is equivalent to UK Bachelor degree. Please let me know that it is right or wrong.

Second quesiton is that IELTS is mandatory for HSMP or Naric letter for degree comparison is enough.

Thanx in Advance.

Regards,
Hassy
Has, check the self assessment tool on BIA website. if ur uni is in their database they will allocate u points and thus u will know whether they have regarded that as equivalent to UK MS or UK Bachelor. In general only a 4 yrs Bachelors program is regarded as equivalent to British Bachelors. So if ur Masters degree was achieved after 4 yrs in total it will probably be equivalent to British Bachelors.

GIMS

Post by GIMS » Tue May 13, 2008 1:29 pm

In the forum some people with 4 year masters degrees reported rejections due to their degrees being regarded as masters and not bachelors even when the 4 year masters were obtained in the UK.

So if its an HSMP application and not Tier 1 as you are in Pakistan then its best to get a NARIC letter.

Or check on the forum for others who from the same uni who have applied for HSMP.

hsmpinuk70
Member of Standing

Post by hsmpinuk70 » Tue May 13, 2008 1:40 pm

As already suggested above, the BIA self assessment tool is of no use in this case since the application is being made from Pakistan where Tier 1 scheme is still not introduced.

regards
nedian21 wrote: Has, check the self assessment tool on BIA website. if ur uni is in their database they will allocate u points and thus u will know whether they have regarded that as equivalent to UK MS or UK Bachelor. In general only a 4 yrs Bachelors program is regarded as equivalent to British Bachelors. So if ur Masters degree was achieved after 4 yrs in total it will probably be equivalent to British Bachelors.

nedian21
Newly Registered

Post by nedian21 » Wed May 14, 2008 11:44 am

hsmpinuk70 wrote:As already suggested above, the BIA self assessment tool is of no use in this case since the application is being made from Pakistan where Tier 1 scheme is still not introduced.

regards
nedian21 wrote: Has, check the self assessment tool on BIA website. if ur uni is in their database they will allocate u points and thus u will know whether they have regarded that as equivalent to UK MS or UK Bachelor. In general only a 4 yrs Bachelors program is regarded as equivalent to British Bachelors. So if ur Masters degree was achieved after 4 yrs in total it will probably be equivalent to British Bachelors.
Agreed that tier1 is still not introduced in Pakistan but the BIA self assessment tool database has listed all the unis which they think are (at least for now) compatible to British standards. NARIC was and never had been a prereq for HSMP. If Hassy uni is on Self Assessment he doesnt need to spend anything on getting a letter from NARIC. If it isnt on Self Assessment tool then he might have to contact NARIC.
GIMS wrote: In the forum some people with 4 year masters degrees reported rejections due to their degrees being regarded as masters and not bachelors even when the 4 year masters were obtained in the UK.
Thats what I was saying. If someone is claiming to have a MS degree after 16 yrs of education (12 + 4) then it IS NOT considered as MS. It should be atleast 17 or 18 yrs of total education which give u 35 points for Masters degree

farrukh55
Newly Registered

Post by farrukh55 » Wed May 14, 2008 3:42 pm

how u r saying k shud hav 7 or 8 years to b masters? like i hav 16 years for bachlors then 2 years masters, isn't tht 18 years of education in Pakistan?...

nedian21
Newly Registered

Post by nedian21 » Thu May 15, 2008 1:29 pm

farrukh55 wrote:how u r saying k shud hav 7 or 8 years to b masters? like i hav 16 years for bachlors then 2 years masters, isn't tht 18 years of education in Pakistan?...
Yes u r right and thats what I meant. 18 yrs (12 yrs schooling + high schooling/college then 4 yrs Bachelors degree then 2 yrs Masters degree).

Some uni in Pakistan offer a 3yrs Bachelors program (which isnt considered to be equivalent to British Bachelors and thus no points on that) and when someone do a 1 yr Masters program on top of that then NARIC consider that 4yrs education to be equivalent to British Bachelors offering them 30 points.

Hassy
Newly Registered

Post by Hassy » Fri May 16, 2008 11:35 am

I have 2yrs Bachelor then 2 yrs Masters and then 2 yrs MS, so can i qualify for UK Masters equivalent ?.

Thanx for all the replies.

Regards,
Hassy

GIMS

Post by GIMS » Fri May 16, 2008 2:32 pm

nedian21 you didnt understand what i was trying to say.
on the hsmp some pple put forward a UK 4 Year Masters degree (which is done after high school so instead of doing a 3 Year Bachelors and then maybe later a 1 Year Masters they just enroll for the said 4 Year Masters degree)
so common sense dictates that after 3 years they would have had a UK Bachelors degree and so the 4 Year Masters Degree is sufficient.
But HO being HO, they have refused some UK 4 Yr MSC and MENG on the grounds of the MSc being an MSc and not a BSc.
which obviously sounds very stupid but it has happens.

Regards

hsmpinuk70
Member of Standing

Post by hsmpinuk70 » Fri May 16, 2008 4:53 pm

Want peace of mind and not put to waste your HSMP application fee, get a NARIC comparison done.

Leave no room for doubt.

regards
Hassy wrote:I have 2yrs Bachelor then 2 yrs Masters and then 2 yrs MS, so can i qualify for UK Masters equivalent ?.

Thanx for all the replies.

Regards,
Hassy

mahinderkumargola
Newly Registered

HSMP education ponit

Post by mahinderkumargola » Fri May 16, 2008 5:03 pm

Guys i need your help

I have completed AMIETE (B.TECH) from Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication (http://www.iete.org/) ... Delhi lodhi road .

The above Institution is not in list of BIA .

I called NARIC also they told that IETE also not in their list .

I am really not getting what to do ?

Please help :( .

tier1_applicant

Re: HSMP education ponit

Post by tier1_applicant » Sat May 17, 2008 5:13 pm

Hi,

From the previous posts you can see that you will get qualification points for your degree but for English language requirements, it does not meet the requirements and people have got their application rejected based on AMIE kind of qualifications submitted for English language points.

Redgs

mahinderkumargola wrote:Guys i need your help

I have completed AMIETE (B.TECH) from Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication (http://www.iete.org/) ... Delhi lodhi road .

The above Institution is not in list of BIA .

I called NARIC also they told that IETE also not in their list .

I am really not getting what to do ?

Please help :( .

hskhan2008

English language proficiency

Post by hskhan2008 » Fri May 23, 2008 11:32 am

i am going to apply for HSMP extension, i have a Master degree, and i also got a letter from NARIC that my master degree is equelant to UK's Bachelor degree, so can i use my degree and NARIC letter to claim points in english language proficiency section

GIMS

Post by GIMS » Fri May 23, 2008 1:19 pm

i assume the masters is a combo (masters + bachelors) programme and obtained in the uk. attaching a transcript would help to show the duration and if its the university of manchester then the better.

hsmpinuk70
Member of Standing

Re: English language proficiency

Post by hsmpinuk70 » Fri May 23, 2008 1:49 pm

You cannot assume that unless the self assessment tool lists your qualification as meeting the requirement under the english language section. If it is not in the list, you will have to take one of the listed exams. NARIC letter cannot be used as evidence for english language requirements.

If your HSMP approval was granted as per rules in place before 07-Nov-06, then you can apply for extension based on the old HSMP rules and you might not need to take the english language exams.

regards
hskhan2008 wrote:i am going to apply for HSMP extension, i have a Master degree, and i also got a letter from NARIC that my master degree is equelant to UK's Bachelor degree, so can i use my degree and NARIC letter to claim points in english language proficiency section
If you consider yourself highly skilled, think like one.
Before posting a new query, use the search tool to see if it's already been answered.

hsmpinuk70
Member of Standing

Post by hsmpinuk70 » Fri May 23, 2008 1:53 pm

How can a masters degree or a integrated bachelors+masters degree obtained in UK be equivalent to UK bachelors standard? :?

regards
GIMS wrote:i assume the masters is a combo (masters + bachelors) programme and obtained in the uk. attaching a transcript would help to show the duration and if its the university of manchester then the better.
Before posting a new query, use the search tool to see if it's already been answered.

hskhan2008

English language requirement

Post by hskhan2008 » Fri May 23, 2008 2:55 pm

your answer confused me more, because in tier 1 application form, if you goto section 3C(as i am going to apply for hsmp Extension) , point Y11 they said

Y11. If the applicant holds a degree that was taught in English and is equivalent to at least UK Bachelor degree they can
claim 10 points. Please provide details:

and for the varification they are giving two options

Y12. Please indicate the applicant’s method of degree verification:
1. Qualification is on the Self-Assessment Tool
2. Qualification is not on the Self-Assessment Tool but a NARIC letter and/or certificate is enclosed

Please help me in this regard
i am really confused

hsmpinuk70
Member of Standing

Re: English language requirement

Post by hsmpinuk70 » Fri May 23, 2008 3:13 pm

My apologies, as I did not notice that you are applying for HSMP extension.

When (date) was your HSMP approval granted ?

regards
Last edited by hsmpinuk70 on Fri May 23, 2008 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rahsmp

Post by rahsmp » Fri May 23, 2008 3:14 pm

Please check the form section Y1:
Y1. Does the applicant currently have leave under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme which was applied for and
granted on or after 8 November 2006?
then you do not need to fill Y11 as you need to go directly to Y14.

If your HSMP granted before 8 November 2006 then you read Section 161 to 187 of Tier1 Guidance notes.
and provide those documents.

-Ra
hskhan2008 wrote:your answer confused me more, because in tier 1 application form, if you goto section 3C(as i am going to apply for hsmp Extension) , point Y11 they said

Y11. If the applicant holds a degree that was taught in English and is equivalent to at least UK Bachelor degree they can
claim 10 points. Please provide details:

and for the varification they are giving two options

Y12. Please indicate the applicant’s method of degree verification:
1. Qualification is on the Self-Assessment Tool
2. Qualification is not on the Self-Assessment Tool but a NARIC letter and/or certificate is enclosed

Please help me in this regard
i am really confused

hskhan2008

English language requirement

Post by hskhan2008 » Fri May 23, 2008 3:14 pm

july 2006

rahsmp

Post by rahsmp » Fri May 23, 2008 3:19 pm

Refer these sections of Gidance notes:

185. Where the applicant is unable to find details of their
qualification on the Self Assessment Tool, they may still
wish to claim points for the qualification in question. In
these circumstances applicants should contact UK NARIC
directly for an assessment of their qualification and, where
their qualification is found to meet the above requirements,
obtain a letter or confirmation certificate from UK NARIC.
Contact details for UK NARIC can be found on the following
website at www.naric.org.uk. Please note that there may
be a charge for this service.
186. Where UK NARIC is unable to confirm these details, points
will not be awarded for the qualification in question. In
such cases, applicants may wish to consider presenting an
alternative qualification if they possess one.

So you can Claim points and submit the NARRIC letter

hskhan2008 wrote:july 2006

hskhan2008

english langugage requirement

Post by hskhan2008 » Fri May 23, 2008 3:23 pm

but the letter that i got from NARIC, it just confirming that my degree is equlant to uk's bachelor degree, do i need the same letter or i have to get a seperate letter for english language requirement

hsmpinuk70
Member of Standing

Post by hsmpinuk70 » Fri May 23, 2008 3:35 pm

Paragraph 180 of the guidance notes states that:

The qualification must:
• be recognised by UK NARIC as equivalent to at least a UK Bachelor’s degree;
• have been taught in English to a standard comparable to that of level C1 on the Council of Europe’s Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment (CEFR).

I think the catch here is the second point in the list. How do you confirm that the degree has been taught in English to a comparable level. NARIC letter only certifies equivalency to bachelors standard. Also, I think all qualifications certified by NARIC as meeting the language standards are there in the self-assessment tool. If your qualification isn't there in the list, highly unlikely that NARIC will be able to certify language requirements for your qualification.

Given the fact that you were granted HSMP in July 2006, in my opinion you have the following options (assuming your qualification is not on the self-assessment tool in the english section):
1. Cite the recent JR and request for consideration under the old HSMP rules where you won't need to sit for the exam. You will probably need to show the same evidence for english language (if one was indeed shown) as the time of intital HSMP approval.
or
2. Take one of the approved tests.

regards
Last edited by hsmpinuk70 on Fri May 23, 2008 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hsmpinuk70
Member of Standing

Post by hsmpinuk70 » Fri May 23, 2008 3:39 pm

The extracts you have refered to are from the "Qualifications" section and not the "English Language Requirements" section.

regards
rahsmp wrote:Refer these sections of Gidance notes:

185. Where the applicant is unable to find details of their
qualification on the Self Assessment Tool, they may still
wish to claim points for the qualification in question. In
these circumstances applicants should contact UK NARIC
directly for an assessment of their qualification and, where
their qualification is found to meet the above requirements,
obtain a letter or confirmation certificate from UK NARIC.
Contact details for UK NARIC can be found on the following
website at www.naric.org.uk. Please note that there may
be a charge for this service.
186. Where UK NARIC is unable to confirm these details, points
will not be awarded for the qualification in question. In
such cases, applicants may wish to consider presenting an
alternative qualification if they possess one.

So you can Claim points and submit the NARRIC letter

hskhan2008 wrote:july 2006