ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA family member Student loan

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

orkune
Newly Registered
Turkey

EEA family member Student loan

Post by orkune » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:44 pm

Hello everyone,
I am a family member of EU member and living in UK since march/2016 and next year march/2019 is going to be 3th year for us. I am as a non-eu (turkish) family member going to apply for the student loan. I have some doubts about the loan. Acctually this year I have tried to apply for collage and they told me if I lived in UK for 3 years and thats was it. That's why I have checked again the website gov.uk. Because collage was accepting me and they told me for the student loan you only need 3 years residency. But i still have some doubts according to :

Your nationality or residency status
You can apply if all of the following apply:

you’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
you normally live in England
you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course
Non-UK nationals must have settled status on the first day of the first academic year of the course - which could be 1 September, 1 January, 1 April or 1 July.

I don't understand is I have to have one of these for the application or all of them, I mean how does it work ?
For example is :
I am normally live in England and according to next year I would be 3 years live in UK. and another hand it is saying that NON-UK natioalts must have settled status and I don't know what does it mean settled status. I have resident card as a family member under EEA, I will be eligble for permenant resident and citizenship march 2021 I guess(5years).

also lets say I am eligble and when I will apply for the university am I still international or UK student. because I have studied high school in my country and I dont wanna take GCSE or anything like that. I guess i would need IELTS for the english qualification.

Thank you

I hope some one can answer my questions..

secret.simon

Re: EEA family member Student loan

Post by secret.simon » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:18 pm

As I understand it, for a non-EEA student to qualify for a student loan, two conditions need to be met on the first day of the first year of the relevant course; the student must have resided in the UK for the three years preceding the course AND the student must hold settled status (i.e. either ILR or PR).

As you likely do not hold PR, you are not eligible for a student loan.

Note that the rules for home student status and eligibility for student loans are different.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

orkune
Newly Registered
Turkey

Post by orkune » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:14 am

I agree but UCAS website doesn't mention that:
https://www.ucas.com/finance/student-fi ... nt-workers

ribena

Post by ribena » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:42 am

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:18 pm
As I understand it, for a non-EEA student to qualify for a student loan, two conditions need to be met on the first day of the first year of the relevant course; the student must have resided in the UK for the three years preceding the course AND the student must hold settled status (i.e. either ILR or PR).

As you likely do not hold PR, you are not eligible for a student loan.

Note that the rules for home student status and eligibility for student loans are different.
Hi Orkune,
Secret.simon is correct with his advice.

I know because I have applied student loan this year. For the college to accept you and getting a student loan are 2 separate issues.
Have you spoken to student finance?
They would ask you to send your proof of your settled status when you apply for your loan. I was asked to submit this by student finance.

When I enrolled in my Uni, I was also asked to submit documents all the way back to 1 September 2015 (3 years prior to me starting my course in Oct 2018).

Hope this helps.

Sajid29
United Kingdom

Post by Sajid29 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:48 am

Hi I have same concern . I am going to start college. Can you please answer me in my case . On 20 September I will apply for PR . So this Mean loan will be rejected if I apply for student loan before getting PR ? My wife is already a qualified person and has acquired PR .should I wait to get PR or I will be fine ?

horizon1985

Post by horizon1985 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:17 am

You can call on this number. They may give you proper information regarding student finance for EU and their family members.
‭0141 243 3570‬

rex_m
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by rex_m » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:49 am

orkune wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:44 pm
Hello everyone,
I am a family member of EU member and living in UK since march/2016 and next year march/2019 is going to be 3th year for us. I am as a non-eu (turkish) family member going to apply for the student loan. I have some doubts about the loan. Acctually this year I have tried to apply for collage and they told me if I lived in UK for 3 years and thats was it. That's why I have checked again the website gov.uk. Because collage was accepting me and they told me for the student loan you only need 3 years residency. But i still have some doubts according to :

you’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course
Non-UK nationals must have settled status on the first day of the first academic year of the course - which could be 1 September, 1 January, 1 April or 1 July.

I don't understand is I have to have one of these for the application or all of them, I mean how does it work ?
For example is :
I am normally live in England and according to next year I would be 3 years live in UK. and another hand it is saying that NON-UK natioalts must have settled status and I don't know what does it mean settled status. I have resident card as a family member under EEA, I will be eligble for permenant resident and citizenship march 2021 I guess(5years).

also lets say I am eligble and when I will apply for the university am I still international or UK student. because I have studied high school in my country and I dont wanna take GCSE or anything like that. I guess i would need IELTS for the english qualification.

Thank you

I'm a non-EEA family of an EEA and received full funding from student finance. I only had my RC and no PR status yet. To qualify for funding, you'd have to prove continuously that your EEA sponsor is exercising their treaty rights, i.e they're employed/self-employed. That was the big thing for me. Knowing student finance, they will also ask you to provide evidence of you residence since you've been in the UK.

You'd probably need to complete a fee status assessment form for your uni to classify you as a home student. This should not be a problem again - just provide evidence of relationship with EEA national, your RC and said EEA national exercising treaty rights (working).

ribena

Post by ribena » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:35 pm

I was only asked by the uni to provide proof of my own status in the UK for fee assessment.

Either way, whether it was the ILR or PR or RC, OP has not accumulate enough years to apply for student finance.

Op would have missed the 1 January 2019 academic year (as OP 3 years residence would 'up' in March 2019).

Looks like the earliest OP can apply for student loan is after March 2019.
For your college academic year starts 1 April - do you know when the course actually starts?
If it starts in May then you might just about to squeeze in student finance application on 1st April 2019.
(I am asking because my Uni academic year started on 1 Sept 2018 but my course starts in Oct 2018).

You'd need to find out the timing of when your course starts next year to start planning for your student finance.

kunfayakun
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by kunfayakun » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:39 am

rex_m wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:49 am
orkune wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:44 pm
Hello everyone,

For example is :

Thank you

I'm a non-EEA family of an EEA and received full funding from student finance. I only had my RC and no PR status yet. To qualify for funding, you'd have to prove continuously that your EEA sponsor is exercising their treaty rights, i.e they're employed/self-employed. That was the big thing for me. Knowing student finance, they will also ask you to provide evidence of you residence since you've been in the UK.

You'd probably need to complete a fee status assessment form for your uni to classify you as a home student. This should not be a problem again - just provide evidence of relationship with EEA national, your RC and said EEA national exercising treaty rights (working).
Hi hope you're doing well! We are in a similar situation if you can kindly help me with your experience please.

You said that you "received full funding" when you've your residence card, did you meet the 3 years residency requirement? What kind of proof did you provide?

How long you had the residence card when you apply for the SFE?

Is your sponsor British or EEA?

Because I'm a British, married in 2014, brough my partner as a family member of an EU citizen through surinder Singh route to UK in 2015 sep, we didn't apply for family permit when we came to UK, so no entry date stamp on her passport, it's been already 3 years we lived the in UK but finding hard to prove the residency requirement!

Do you know how they're assessing the application? Ex: from the issue date of residence card or from entry to the UK?

Thanks in advance
Stay blessed
Kunfayakun

rex_m
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by rex_m » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:15 pm

Hi,

Sorry I've only logged into this now.

Yes I got full funding - tuition fee and maintenance loan/grant.

I was going into the 4th yr of my 5 yr family member permit. I had been in the country for much longer so I'd met the 3 year residency requirement. I wasn't asked for proof tbh, possibly because of my age. But I did write a letter with details of my home address for the last 5 years and for what reasons I was there.

My sponsor was EEA.

For the residency requirements, things like P60s, work letters, utility bills and council tax letters are useful as proof.

I'm not to sure from what point SFE assess the application. Have you tried to speak to SFE? And not the advisers you get through to on the phone because they are clueless. There's an option for help with evidence.

Hope this helps.