ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 - Length of Extension question

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

SirDubloRemo
Newly Registered
Canada

Tier 2 - Length of Extension question

Post by SirDubloRemo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:15 pm

Hello,

I am about to make an application to extend my Tier 2 General, at the end of its 3 year length. I was previously on a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa for 2 years prior to that. My questions are:

1. It states that I can only be in the UK for a total of 6 years - does that include the initial 2 year Youth Mobility visa? I'm inclined to think not, and that it means I can only be on the Tier 2 visa for 6 years. Am I correct in assuming that I can extend by a further 3 years?

2. The initial Tier 2 visa was for 3 years, and my employer has issued me my extension CoS to use for the extension process. Where do I choose the length of extension, or was it determined by my employer (as with the initial CoS for this current 3 year visa about to expire)?

I work for a small school which has no experience with this process, so any help/clarification is much appreciated :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tier 2 - Length of Extension question

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:21 pm

1. It states that I can only be in the UK for a total of 6 years - does that include the initial 2 year Youth Mobility visa? I'm inclined to think not, and that it means I can only be on the Tier 2 visa for 6 years. Am I correct in assuming that I can extend by a further 3 years?
It is Tier 2 General for max 6 years. Your Tier 5 time is irrelevant.
2. The initial Tier 2 visa was for 3 years, and my employer has issued me my extension CoS to use for the extension process. Where do I choose the length of extension, or was it determined by my employer (as with the initial CoS for this current 3 year visa about to expire)?
Depends what length the CoS is, 2 years or 3 years.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

SirDubloRemo
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by SirDubloRemo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:32 pm

Thank you for your reply.

So my employer should know this, yes? On the document sent to me with my CoS number, there's no length of time stated, other than the 3 month window in which the number is valid for. Is this correct?

aja
United Kingdom

Post by aja » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:55 am

On your COS, in the 2nd page, there is a section called " Work Dates".
Under which the Start date & End Date are mentioned.