ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What is the PPRON method?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Pasha

What is the PPRON method?

Post by Pasha » Sat May 17, 2008 10:40 am

Would anyone be able to explain the ‘ppron’ method?

My husband holds both Irish (obtained via decent) and British Citizenship (obtained by birth). I am a Non-Eea spouse and we both submitted an EEA1 and EEA2 application form based on his Irish Citizenship to obtain our Residence Cards in the UK which were recently granted.

My understanding is that continuing under EU Law, after 5 years from the date of our marriage, as a UK Residence card holder, I will need to apply for PR. Upon obtaining PR status, I will be eligible to apply for British Citizenship a year after.

Using the ppron method, am I right in thinking that this means bypassing applying for PR, switching to UK National Law and applying directly for British Citizenship based on the fact that I would have complted 3 years of legal residence in the UK and that my husband is British?
Using the ppron method, would the following points have any bearings on an application for British Citizenship:

1. The fact that when I did not apply for an EEA Family Permit but entered the UK on a visitors visa then applied for my residence card which was sucessfully granted?

2. The fact that my application for residence in the UK was started under EU Law and not National Law?

3. From my reading, PR status under EU Law is more or less and automatic right after holding a 5 years residence card and ofcourse being with your spouse for this time. Should the ppron method be used after 3 years, does this switching exclude me from making any sort of applications under EU Law in anyway?

4. Are there any disadvantaged to using the ppron method as opposed to staying on the EU path?

Many thanks,
Pasha

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat May 17, 2008 11:03 am

Search here, I think that loophole was closed.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sat May 17, 2008 11:31 am

That solves my question(s) then, yes I just did a search on the forum and this loophole has been closed as off January this year.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun May 18, 2008 2:59 pm

Pasha wrote:That solves my question(s) then, yes I just did a search on the forum and this loophole has been closed as off January this year.

How long have you been living in the U.K.?

Depending on the answer it may still be worth switching to the U.K. immigration route.

By the way, if you stay on the EEA route you will (under current law, anyway) be able to apply for naturalisation immediately once you have PR, ie at the 5 year mark.

As your husband is British, no need to wait the extra year.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sun May 18, 2008 6:20 pm

I moved to the UK in January of this year. My husband and I were together for 10 years prior to our marriage if that has any bearings under either route..?

Staying under EU Law, do I apply for my PR status 5 years from the date of our marriage or 5 years from the date our residence cards were granted?

Also, what are the conditions of being eligible to apply for PR status under EU Law? I have searched the forums and came up with;

- Must not be absent from the UK for more than 90 days per year.
- Must have residence legally in the UK for atleast 3 year.
- Marriage must have subsisted for atleast 1 year.

Is theer anything else I have missed?